East Coast NTers...First an Earthquake, now a Hurricane? Vol. Irene

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

yall scared?
laugh.gif

lets get this party started 
pimp.gif

Nah I'm kinda ready for it now.
pimp.gif

man you ain't flying into anywhere on sunday. no way any flights will be arriving or leaving nyc on sunday

Originally Posted by sekim2detcidda

flying in to NYC Sunday morning for a meeting next week. I just want to get there safely..I can deal with it after that.

grin.gif
what NYC will you be flying into sir?

Originally Posted by chickhien

my friend from wilmington NC posted these pics on her facebook around 5pm today. theyre out of power as of 10 minutes ago.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

+!$+ this, i'm outtie.

Originally Posted by sekim2detcidda

flying in to NYC Sunday morning for a meeting next week. I just want to get there safely..I can deal with it after that.

Your flights already been cancelled.

I had a flight into JFK from PIT tomorrow and even that was cancelled.

They're taking this VERY seriously, which is good.

my friend from wilmington NC posted these pics on her facebook around 5pm today. theyre out of power as of 10 minutes ago.
eek.gif

Might as well play this tomorrow:

anyone know if MTA/LIRR/Port Authority will run on Monday?
Monday is supposed to be a beautiful day, but im afraid the aftermath of Irene is going to leave the subways flooded.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Hurricane Irene: What You Need to Know[/h1] By DAVID M. HALBFINGER
6:26 p.m. | Updated What follows are the most important things to know about the state of preparations for Hurricane Irene in New York City and its immediate surroundings.

1. Evacuations: A mandatory evacuation order, said to be the city’s first ever, has been issued for low-lying coastal areas of all five boroughs, including the entire Rockaways, Governors Island, Battery Park City and much of the financial district in Lower Manhattan. Details are here.

2. Mass transit is largely shutting down by Saturday afternoon. The city subways and buses will stop running at noon, as will PATH trains and commuter railroads connecting Manhattan to New Jersey, Long Island, Westchester County and Connecticut. New Jersey Transit’s bus, light rail and paratransit rides, for people with disabilities, will stop at 6 p.m. Saturday. The Staten Island Ferry will be suspended if sustained winds stay above 46 miles per hour.

The state announced that to aid in evacuations, a variety of fares and tolls would be suspended in the city, including all city buses, generally beginning at 8 p.m. on Friday. Tolls are suspended at the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge, the Throgs Neck Bridge, the Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge and the Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge. Also, tolls will be suspended on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, Throgs Neck Bridge and Bronx-Whitestone Bridge. Fares will be suspended for subway and rail passengers at stations in the mandatory evacuation area.

3. Airports: Starting at noon on Saturday, all three major airports in the region will be closed to arriving flights. They will remain open for departures, pending changes in the weather, but most of those scheduled departures have already been canceled, according to Steve Coleman, a Port Authority spokesman.

4. Bridges: Winds greater than 50 m.p.h. will prompt closings of the East River bridges: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Williamsburg and Ed Koch Queensboro. Winds over 60 m.p.h. will prompt closings of the George Washington, Verrazano-Narrows, Robert F. Kennedy (formerly Triborough), Bronx-Whitestone, Throgs Neck and Henry Hudson Bridges.

5. Amtrak There will be service reductions on Saturday and no service on Sunday. (Passengers who have paid for travel on canceled trains can contact Amtrak to receive refunds without fee or penalty or can rebook for future travel.)

6. Roads: Private cars will be allowed on New York City streets. Taxis will accept shared rides and will be priced on a zone system: $10 for trip within one zone; $5 more for each additional zone; other boroughs are each one zone.

7. Personal safety: Residents riding out the storm should not tape windows; it does more harm than good, federal officials say. Removing window air-conditioning units can be more dangerous than leaving them in place, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg says. The safer option: take shelter in interior rooms.

8. Courts: Jurors in New York City, Nassau and Suffolk Counties will not have to report on Monday. (Jurors are told to check with the local jury commissioner’s office on Monday night for further instructions.) New York city courts will be open for arraignment on Saturday until 6 p.m. (except Staten Island, which will close at its usual Saturday closure time of 1 p.m.) On Saturday, the decision will be made whether to close on Sunday, which, if the storm continues to track as predicted, was considered likely. Courts in Nassau and Suffolk Counties will be closed on Sunday.

Link

30t6p3b.gif

some of my friends think this is going to be just a "little rain". I'd rather look silly and be prepared rather than regretting not being prepared at all. At least I'll have food for a few days IF this storm turns out to be nothing.

Originally Posted by ThaT Dude173

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by ThaT Dude173

Man up y'all.

this dude is silly...
laugh.gif

Lol I guess I'm used to hurricanes being that I live in Miami ,seeing everyone bugging in here is kinda funny but understandable.
I thought it was kinda funny too because there's a ton of NYers in here. But when I think about it, NY's infrastructure ain't built for hurricanes, floods, and sometimes the tornadoes that come with hurricanes. I remember we had an "ice storm" in NC. I was in Raleigh, we had one inch of ice. ONE INCH. the whole damn city got shut down. 17 people died in the state (mostly old folks slipping). my car slid up onto a sidewalk and got stuck when I was going home from work. I had to hike the last 5 miles in dress shoes trying not to crack my skull.
NO TELLING what's going to happen for the northeast. prayers everyone!

I'm at my homegirl house like an hr away from Wilmington had to come a little inland.  It is raining like a #$%$# right now. Wind blowing power is going in an out expecting it to drop out for good any second now. I'm good though she got a big bed we gonna get to when this thing goes dark.
devil.gif

what do y'all have planned indoors?

net, smash, gaming, movies, foods, etc.........

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

what do y'all have planned indoors?

net, smash, gaming, movies, foods, etc.........

Pr0nx & ps3 until the power goes out. Then I'll read my textbook

Peeps in NC, How's everything? you guys are pretty much the forecast for us NY'ers. If i don't get a response to this post, i'll take it that your power went out.

Back
Top Bottom