Eddie Johnson: "Kobe is the best offensive player ever."

Who do you think Kobe modeled his skills after?
wink.gif

We have a "GOAT" every few decades, then someone is on the verge of carrying the torch..
When it's all said and done, and if Kobe gets a couple more rings, then this can be a legit debate.

It's really too hard for me to say who the better scorer is...i think they are both about equal....its funny cuz they games and skill sets are so similar ithink there's no way to say one is better offensively...

Overally I think Jordan is better...but if kobe can get a couple more rings...in my mind it will be Kobe, MJ, and Chamberlain as the best ever...

I'll tell you one thing tho....Jordan would win a title with the team Kobe has right now (unless Bynum doesn't play like he did before his injury)...soin my mind in order for me to put Kobe in the top 5/10 players of all time...he needs to win a couple rings w/o shaq....

Originally Posted by the PGA tour

not to nitpick, because everyone already has..but if you thought that highly of KB, why did you make this post in such disgust, in the first place?
laugh.gif

read this....
Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

more physically skilled scorer doesn't necessarily mean a better scorer...
and no I didn't make it in disgust ...... no need to make assumptions over the internet like most of these other NT'ers
laugh.gif

Who cares. People have opinions. It is what it is...I know some old school cats who will argue until their deaths that Dr. J is waaaaay better than Jordan..

Wilt sees Kobe's' 81, 65 and 62 with 100, 78, 73, 73, 72, 70, 68 and so on
laugh.gif

3 games aren't much to go by in this argument.

The man averaged 50 in a season. 50! dudes here be like
eek.gif
nerd.gif
pimp.gif
eek.gif
alien.gif
when their favorite player goes off for 50 in a game and this fool messedaround and averaged that for 82.

While Kobe has a larger range, Jordan was a punisher within the arc. The double and triple teams Kobe is seeing are more due to not being able to breathe onsuperstars without being called for a foul when playing man to man. I'm not gonna sit here and play hypothetical and say who would do what in each era. Itis what it is. Mike knew the entire basket from backboard to rim. That's why he's better offensively.

How'd Lebron get in here?
alien.gif

" I guess I'm fine with MJ getting the label best ever, but I really don't see much difference. Kobe is the best offensive player ever. Maybe you can say MJ was more ruthless, but even that is close. I just don't see much difference. I know Bron's putting up great numbers, but Kobe is on a another level. The ease in which he makes everything look is amazing, and defensively, he can lock down anyone he wants. I just don't see much of a difference".
wow
smh.gif

Kobe's ability 2 play 1 on 5 is better and he has more range than mike, but mike played in a league of tougher defensive oriented teams.

laugh.gif

eek.gif
nerd.gif
pimp.gif
eek.gif
alien.gif
when their favorite player goes off for 50 in a game and this fool messed around and averaged that for 82.

That was a different NBA when chamberlain was playng, he was the greatest of his "era", he was the 1st player with that size, strength, and talent sou cant compare Kobe's "era" with his

Originally Posted by MarsIV

I need to know why Kobe is better than MJ offensively.

http://www.nba.com/games/20060122/TORLAL/boxscore.html

http://www.nba.com/games/20051220/DALLAL/boxscore.html

Theres 2 examples. He only scored 81, then 62 points in 30 minutes, out scoring the entire Dallas team, than sat out the 4th quarter. But whoopty damn doo.

David Robinson scored 70 once. He's better than Shaq and Hakeem right?
And Kobe scored 62 points in three quarters the same way Dwyane Wade won achampionship mostly from the free throw line.

I would love to see what Jordan would do in a league where you couldn't hand check.

Jordan used to get damn near body slammed going to the rack and still gave people buckets. Kobe couldn't even handle the damn 2004 Pistons.

Also am I the only person to realize both of those games came after the handchecking rules changed.

I mean it was under those rules that Dirk Nowitzki broke Jordan's record for free throws shot in a playoff run. Think about that.

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Originally Posted by MarsIV

http://www.nba.com/games/20060122/TORLAL/boxscore.html

http://www.nba.com/games/20051220/DALLAL/boxscore.html

Theres 2 examples. He only scored 81, then 62 points in 30 minutes, out scoring the entire Dallas team, than sat out the 4th quarter. But whoopty damn doo.

David Robinson scored 70 once. He's better than Shaq and Hakeem right?
And Kobe scored 62 points in three quarters the same way Dwyane Wade won a championship mostly from the free throw line.

I would love to see what Jordan would do in a league where you couldn't hand check.

Jordan used to get damn near body slammed going to the rack and still gave people buckets. Kobe couldn't even handle the damn 2004 Pistons.

Also am I the only person to realize both of those games came after the handchecking rules changed.

I mean it was under those rules that Dirk Nowitzki broke Jordan's record for free throws shot in a playoff run. Think about that.

I agree its easier to score now with the hand check rules....but your saying it like if Kobe was in his prime back during Jordan's prime Kobe wouldbe top 3 in scoring...Kobe would be giving defenders work in any era period..

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

laugh.gif

eek.gif
nerd.gif
pimp.gif
eek.gif
alien.gif
when their favorite player goes off for 50 in a game and this fool messed around and averaged that for 82.

While Kobe has a larger range, Jordan was a punisher within the arc. The double and triple teams Kobe is seeing are more due to not being able to breathe on superstars without being called for a foul when playing man to man. I'm not gonna sit here and play hypothetical and say who would do what in each era. It is what it is. Mike knew the entire basket from backboard to rim. That's why he's better offensively.

How'd Lebron get in here?
alien.gif

i guess that apology thread was a joke
eyes.gif

Kobe probably is better than MJ OFFENSIVELY, i dont understand why people are getting worked up over that statement
I think that he takes (and makes) the most difficult shots of any player I've ever seen and I used to watch MJ on a regular basis.

Overally I think Jordan is better...but if kobe can get a couple more rings...in my mind it will be Kobe, MJ, and Chamberlain as the best ever...
I didn't read every page of this thread, but when did it become about who's the better player?
smh.gif

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

While Kobe has a larger range, Jordan was a punisher within the arc. The double and triple teams Kobe is seeing are more due to not being able to breathe on superstars without being called for a foul when playing man to man. I'm not gonna sit here and play hypothetical and say who would do what in each era. It is what it is. Mike knew the entire basket from backboard to rim. That's why he's better offensively.

Sure. Keep telling yourself that.

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Kobe probably is better than MJ OFFENSIVELY, i dont understand why people are getting worked up over that statement
I think that he takes (and makes) the most difficult shots of any player I've ever seen and I used to watch MJ on a regular basis.

I didn't read every page of this thread, but when did it become about who's the better player?
smh.gif

I do agree with that. Kobe is the greatest shot maker I have ever seen if that makes any sense but I feel that Jordan didn't have to take those crazyshots because he was better at quality shots.

Kobe is the greatest shot maker I have ever seen if that makes any sense but I feel that Jordan didn't have to take those crazy shots because he was better at quality shots
I don't know if Jordan is better at "quality" shots, but he most definitely had more confidence in his teammates than Kobe has (atleast up until this season)...

MJ wouldn't jack up a 22 foot fadeaway over a double team because he knew that he had guys who could make shots...now whether or not MJ could make thoseshots we'll never know..

Is it that far from the truth. The funny thing is, Mike might not even dispute this. I've been thinking about this very issue for sometime now.
Kobe's awesome, and he might be a better scorer than MJ, but what made MJ, MJ is the intangible that NOBODY else will ever have. The desire to win.

Bullsrepeat3peat,

I think the only reason you got some stonefaces is due to the fact you opened a can of worms. You know how NT is with kobe. You know how NT is with jordan. Youhad to figure this would turn into a player A vs player B thread because anything with Kobe, Jordan or Lebron always does.

To me I don't care who is the goat or who is a better offensive player. I just feel blessed to have seen magic, jordan, kobe, lebron and iverson all playlive.

i think some people put too much emphasis on kobe's creativity as an argument when it comes to how great of a scorer he is. a lot of us have seen hisfadeaway three over aldridge and roy, the buzzer tying/beating threes against patterson and ratliff in 04, or how he was able to execute a left handed jumpshotagainst detroit couple years ago. using these examples to back up the claims of him being the best offensive player is a little far fetched because the fact ofthe matter is he does not do it on a consistent basis. in the end what it boils down to is if the ball goes through the net, and that's where mike has kobebeat. i will admit kobe is a lot more creative with the way he sets up his shots, but for every pull-up-3-over-three-defenders shot he makes, he will probablymiss the next 10 times. mike's offensive game, especially in his latter years where he utilized the turnaround j or fadeaway might not be as glamorous tosome (it was to me, anyways) but it was consistent and got the job done, period. .495, .486, .465 were mike's percentage numbers his last 3 seasons withchicago. kobe's highest in his career is .468. just some food for thought.
smile.gif

smh.gif

eyes.gif

dogg wat r u talkin about I know what the thread was about...I was just adding my opinion of where I think Kobe could fit in all time....is there a problemwith that??

Jordan scored more points more efficiently.

Kobe has more range but whoopty damn doo.
Exactly. and as someone else said, the defense was alot tougher back then

Kobe is the greatest shot maker I have ever seen if that makes any sense but I feel that Jordan didn't have to take those crazy shots because he was better at quality shots
I don't know if Jordan is better at "quality" shots, but he most definitely had more confidence in his teammates than Kobe has (at least up until this season)...

MJ wouldn't jack up a 22 foot fadeaway over a double team because he knew that he had guys who could make shots...now whether or not MJ could make those shots we'll never know..

I'm meant to say better at getting quality shots.

Back
Top Bottom