EDM festival Electric Zoo cancelled after two deaths

I'm not really undermining anything. If you look at how this started, someone said "The thing that irks me with some EDM "DJs" is that they're not really doing anything when they're performing. They more or less just hit play on their macbooks, talk to the crowd a bit between songs, then clap their hands above their heads."

And I talked about how prolific they are as producers. And that they aren't like hip hop DJ's who are just playing other peoples records.

Which someone then misconstrued into me saying they play "only THEIR" records, which I never said.

When Benny is in album mode, he plays a lot more of his own product. He's between projects right now. You saw Aoki play a ton of DM stuff. A-Trak does a lot of FG.

Here's Kaskade at UMF. Which is a bigger event. http://www.1001tracklists.com/track...-festival-miami-united-states-2013-03-23.html

Here's Avicii. http://www.1001tracklists.com/track...-festival-miami-united-states-2013-03-22.html Plenty of his own music or his labels.

I'm not going to do this dance over every DJ. None of these are hard and fast rules.

Reactions: wr
Decided to browse reddit and this was on the front page :lol:

And yea I get that the big name DJs that produce their songs are eating off that, but it's just the faking of pushing buttons and turning of knobs and switching of headphone channels when EVERYTHING is pre-recorded that gets me.

I do know DJs use prerecorded mixes, but usually only in the beginning of the mix to sync with the "show" (fireworks, lasers, etc ...).

Decided to browse reddit and this was on the front page :lol:

And yea I get that the big name DJs that produce their songs are eating off that, but it's just the faking of pushing buttons and turning of knobs and switching of headphone channels when EVERYTHING is pre-recorded that gets me.

I do know DJs use prerecorded mixes, but usually only in the beginning of the mix to sync with the "show" (fireworks, lasers, etc ...).

Guetta, Avicii, SHM all use completely pre-recorded sets frequently. Avicii admitted to it in a recent Rolling Stone piece about him. **** is lame. I'm not really a fan of any of those dudes but I happened to catch Guetta at a festival to get a good spot for someone else that was playing after him and his cdj's weren't even on and he was pretending to be mixing. But like illphillip said nowadays dj's are breaking through by being producers and not dj's anymore. Which is a shame but at the same time I do like that festivals like UMF still give real og's Carl Cox their own stage/tent. Give it a couple years, tech house/deep house/techno are all making a comeback and that fake dj'ing/epic light sync **** doesn't work in that scene.

Random...but it is hilarious that "why are you mad/upset/butthurt" is still the #1 go to comeback on here.

I've been seeing reports that the girl who died told EMS that she took 6 mollys and the guy was found with crystal meth in his pocket...

You mean the GQ article?

Idk, I always saw Avicii as a producer first.

Last edited:
You mean the GQ article?

Idk, I always saw Avicii as a producer first.

I mean I didn't say I saw him as a dj, I just think the whole pretending to be doing something live when you aren't gimmick is lame. More power to him for cashing out on it though.

Yeah, I definitely agree on the whole "pretending" thing. I've seen Avicii 4 times though :lol:

2 of the times I was so far back I couldn't even tell, so it was whatever.

I've been seeing reports that the girl who died told EMS that she took 6 mollys and the guy was found with crystal meth in his pocket...
That's the other thing. Back when my friends would roll, they would be taking 3 or 4 pills (sometimes more) to get the party going. It should have been the biggest flag in the world that 1 pill didn't do the job, but they didn't care. Sad, a couple of people had to lose their lives this weekend, all in the name of fun.

Yeah, I definitely agree on the whole "pretending" thing. I've seen Avicii 4 times though
laugh.gif

Avicii at EDC 2011 >>>>>>>>

sounds like some **** a hipster would say :lol:

EDM as a whole genre which is basically a re-branding of techno isn't mainstream at all in whichever incarnation.

I never understand why people make comments when they are absolutely clueless on what they're talking about.. :x

Yeah, I definitely agree on the whole "pretending" thing. I've seen Avicii 4 times though :lol:

Hell no. And I was there for that live. I had to deal with him and SHM back to back that year because the people in my group(which was 20+ people) were hell bent on seeing them and I wasn't trying to get split from everyone because AT&T phone service was ****** on the racetrack that year.

Hell no. And I was there for that live. I had to deal with him and SHM back to back that year because the people in my group(which was 20+ people) were hell bent on seeing them and I wasn't trying to get split from everyone because AT&T phone service was ****** on the racetrack that year.

Service was **** this year and last year.

The sadness as you look at your signal bar as you approach the speedway :lol:

Last edited:
Here's a crazy thought don't take drugs you won't die from drugs.

And let's get real to everyone attacking "the scene"...are we forgetting about the elephant in the room? Prescription drug usage in middle class America will FAR outweigh the drug usage at festivals, let's be realistic. Stop attacking one social scene and turning a blind eye to another.

I'm not really undermining anything. If you look at how this started, someone said "The thing that irks me with some EDM "DJs" is that they're not really doing anything when they're performing. They more or less just hit play on their macbooks, talk to the crowd a bit between songs, then clap their hands above their heads."

And I talked about how prolific they are as producers. And that they aren't like hip hop DJ's who are just playing other peoples records.

Which someone then misconstrued into me saying they play "only THEIR" records, which I never said.

When Benny is in album mode, he plays a lot more of his own product. He's between projects right now. You saw Aoki play a ton of DM stuff. A-Trak does a lot of FG.

Here's Kaskade at UMF. Which is a bigger event. http://www.1001tracklists.com/track...-festival-miami-united-states-2013-03-23.html

Here's Avicii. http://www.1001tracklists.com/track...-festival-miami-united-states-2013-03-22.html Plenty of his own music or his labels.

I'm not going to do this dance over every DJ. None of these are hard and fast rules.

To add to what Phil was talking about, I think the main point is it's very rare for someone to make it big just being a DJ, playing other people's productions, and not producing. Adam (AM) was the exception not the norm. You rarely see any of the open-format DJ's booked at any festivals because their draw is minimal at best. In fact the only one I can think of that has been booked at an EDC is VICE.

The United States market is a cycle, so the popularity of dance or "EDM" is bound to diminish, however it's a culture and genre that's seen that downturn before, and is still the most popular genre of music worldwide.

Out of all the dj sets I've seen in my life, DJ Jazzy Jeff is the only one I've ever seen mix live.

i've done molly a few times...nothing wrong with it as long as you use in moderation and don't go over your limits...i had some amazing nights that i can add to my memory bank because of it...

hate the pious finger pointing from their pedestal..."don't do drugs, don't die from them." i could go with the tired don't drive cars, don't get in accidents or don't eat junk food, don't get diabetes...it's pointless...let people do what they want...there were probably 100k+ people at that festival, maybe more than half of them rolling and two people died...sucks, but that's not a horrible ratio...i'm sure other had fun...

i'm over the molly phase, so i really don't care. but please, try not to act like your better than other people...

Police are saying that the deaths came from a bad batch being sold across the Northeast.

Police are saying that the deaths came from a bad batch being sold across the Northeast.

And a clear display of irresponsibility by the girl and guy.

FWIW, Avicii is a must better producer than he is a DJ. A lot of DJs are though.

Back
Top Bottom