EDM festival Electric Zoo cancelled after two deaths

sounds like some **** a hipster would say :lol:

EDM as a whole genre which is basically a re-branding of techno isn't mainstream at all in whichever incarnation.

Dawg, you can pop **** about Fat Joe's street cred and Juelz Santana's net worth all you want, but **** outta here trying to kick knowledge to me on house music. I'm going to admit I'm a little mad you even attempted to rofl
i know enough about music to know EDM is a re-treading of house, trance, techno music that OWNS ITS BONES to hiphop..so

:rofl: :rofl:

You're silly dude, you claim to "know enough about "EDM" and say it owes it's bones to hip hop?

:rofl:

The roots of electronic music are in the 70's and disco, not hip-hop. You're ignorant as hell..

:rofl: :rofl:

You're silly dude, you claim to "know enough about "EDM" and say it owes it's bones to hip hop?

:rofl:

The roots of electronic music are in the 70's and disco, not hip-hop. You're ignorant as hell..

Dude..thats when I realized I was an idiot for responding to ninja in the first place. Duke is a nutjob to sum it up

its da complete watering down of musically intelligible digestible music, its what da southern hiphop has done to lyricism in rap music.
straight up ignorant. go on forbes list homie and check the numbers. avicii eating more than well known producers. calvin harris broke records with the most#1 tracks on a album. u mad. ny even got araabmuzik doin it now. guess that clown aint talented enough huh? some of these cats would probably roast your favorite nyc local producer on a synth.

rap is dead, I welcome SOME edm, especially the forms that have hiphop elements to them.
drum and bass has turntablism, trap music is based on southern beats.
But, unfortunately the only EDM that seems to go pop is the type that people listen to, just so they can tell other people they listen to it.

I couldn't agree with this more. The hip hop elements are what sucked me in initially. A lot of the main elements in dubstep are the same as hip hop. It's like chopping samples on steroids. Hell, some electronic producers even flip soul samples. I really don't even listen to rap anymore. I'm not some EDM purist or anything, I randomly just find stuff through youtube and research the artists I like after that. Trap is pretty lame to me though. I'm more into the melodic type stuff.

I always like hearing drug users kick knowledge. Like, when stoners steady recite drug laws.
Ahh the naive
happy.gif
he's right though. dudes will justify their habits by any means possible. just admit it isnt safe and move on

I cant get with the EDM movement though. They played some at a frat party last week, and it was all just one big whirlpool of random sounds. If anyone has any reccomendations, Im all ears

Last edited:
The ignorance in this thread is strong to say the least. RIP to those that passed at the event. Doesn't speak to the majority of the following who genuinely love the music and were "punished" by the actions of some other individuals.

Last edited:
Slow down. "EDM" is not a retread of those things.

Dubstep didn't exist really 10 years ago. Dubstep is very much a part of the "EDM" explosion today.

Skrillex is massive. Dude drops a hot record and it goes Gold/Platinum with no radio play.

Cats like Ross struggle to do that.

There's been big techno records, Trance etc. But as said before, between the music's popularity, the radio play, the live, it's at it's peak now.

Retread or not, it's mking noise today that it hasn't before.
what im saying is today's trance, techno, wave, etc. from now on is ALL under da EDM banner even if originally it wasn't made for it.

its a marketing thing for da US consumption to better classify all these lil mini sub groups on some "ehh just call it all EDM"

thats being imported from a more well established culture of dance music in europe.
Agreed. I put "EDM" in quotes because those 3 letters are a joke to me.

Dance music been around forever. Word to Twin Hype, Doug Lazy, King Sun. EPMD had house records on their albums. So did Kane.

"EDM" is a ******** term. But it's the mainstream term. You can't say it's not mainstream when "edm" is proof it's manstream.
i say it isn't mainstream because when you break it down, EDM like me and you understand it is a collection of smaller genres put together to

better market it. none of those little groups by themselves you can consider "mainstream" in any sense.

i cant feel bad for people who OD and listen to bad music that was made pretty much 20 years ago and pay $200.00 a day for it

you get what you deceived

if i wanna get high i'll stick to pot

i do like dark electronic music as it puts you in a zone when you feel like your on a heavy drug but your on nothing

Last edited:
Ezoo was the truth, I don't even like house music like that and I thought all the acts were rocking out.

The women....:smokin

I agree with this

Americans are soooo late with electronic music, at least 10 years, it's embarrassing to see this EDM explosion.
everyone lumping things together.
Every kid listens to US versions of dubstep, but no one knows what drum n bass is, although it's been around for almost 20 years and is damn near identical.

early 1990's jungle music and late 1990's OG drum & bass both the best electronica music ever made

all this music came out of london in the 1990's

Last edited:
early 1990's jungle music and late 1990's OG drum & bass both the best electronica music ever made

all this music came out of london in the 1990's

now this is the music to get high too

its also much more darker then the crappy drum and bass that's current

I can't speak for other cities but out here in LA and in Vegas "EDM" is definitely mainstream

I used to knock the music but once this recent explosion happened I gave it another chance I listened to it more and now will listen to it when I need a break from hip hop.

Not into that festival life but the clubs can get cracking

There are very few that are just Djs playing other peoples songs.

I would have to say the opposite. Most of these (top) DJs are playing a mix of their songs and other fellow DJs/producers. Very few play only THEIR productions (ie: deadmau5 and Eric Prydz come to mind).

I would have to say the opposite. Most of these (top) DJs are playing a mix of their songs and other fellow DJs/producers. Very few play only THEIR productions (ie: deadmau5 and Eric Prydz come to mind).

Yeah, basically EVERY "dj" (whether they're actually dj'ing or not) plays other people's songs with a few of their own sprinkled in. And that's how it's traditionally been even when the scene was more underground.

Last edited:

My point was that all the big DJs are big DJs because they are great producers. As opposed to Flex/Clue/Envy in the rap world, who strictly play other peoples records.

Avicii is only a DJ because he was a great producer.

I never said that the big "edm" guys "play only THEIR productions". But they are well known as DJs because of their own productions, and not because of how they blend songs together, or for turtablism etc. You're responding to a small portion of a larger point.

When I see Kaskade, or Aoki, or Skrillex, or Tiesto, those guys are actually playing a lot of their own music though. Originals and remixes. Not "only", but a hell of a lot.

Last edited:
sounds like some **** a hipster would say
laugh.gif

EDM as a whole genre which is basically a re-branding of techno isn't mainstream at all in whichever incarnation.
deadass tho.  not gonna lie i gotta into it for a bit but outgrew it faster than i outgrew diapers.  these events should have an age max smh at anyone is their mid 20's decked out in glow sticks bouncing around like a buffoon

I don't get why dudes are saying EDM just got popular in NY—I knew people rolling face and I even hit up a few of those "raves" when I was in college a few years ago. Only recently did it reach the high schoolers who think it's cool now to be bassheads.

My point was that all the big DJs are big DJs because they are great producers. As opposed to Flex/Clue/Envy in the rap world, who strictly play other peoples records.

Avicii is only a DJ because he was a great producer.

I never said that the big "edm" guys "play only THEIR productions". But they are well known as DJs because of their own productions, and not because of how they blend songs together, or for turtablism etc. You're responding to a small portion of a larger point.

When I see Kaskade, or Aoki, or Skrillex, or Tiesto, those guys are actually playing a lot of their own music though. Originals and remixes. Not "only", but a hell of a lot.

I wouldn't say a hell of a lot of their own music gets played. Tiesto tends to and Kaskade likes to blend vocals from his songs with drops from other songs (outside of his Redux tour) but most of the big name guys like Benassi, Chuckie, Aoki, A-Trak etc. play a majority of other people's ****. Check out 1001tracklists, they have a list of every song played at most DJ's live sets.

Recent Skrillex setlist

Recent Benassi setlist

Recent Chuckie setlist

Recent Aoki setlist

I could go on, but you get it.

Last edited:
What is EDM and what is an electric zoo festival

Last edited:
the positives: it's horny, obliterated white girls wearing minimal clothing, dancing and ready to have fun
the cons: lots of lunchboxes have joined the "scene"

What is EDM and what is an electric zoo festival
Festival where girls wear next to nothing, and everyone jumps up and down for 8 hours + while being influence by _____ drug.

ie. "ragers"

Vegas EDC is something id like to go to. 
smokin.gif

:lol:

OK. Semantics. So we went from mau5 and Prydz, to Tiesto and Kaskade (vocals from his songs....are still his songs) in 2 posts.

Pretty much every DJ I've seen in the last year plays a lot of their own music in their sets.

Aoki and A-Trak included. It's either something they produced, or remixed, or something from their respective labels.

Did you understand the point I was making though? Or do you want to keep doing this dance between "only THEIR" own productions, a hell of a lot, a lot, "majority" etc.?

:lol: at damn near every song on Aoki's setlist saying "Dim Mak" next to it.

Last edited:
:lol:

OK. Semantics. So we went from mau5 and Prydz, to Tiesto and Kaskade (vocals from his songs....are still his songs) in 2 posts.

Pretty much every DJ I've seen in the last year plays a lot of their own music in their sets.

Aoki and A-Trak included. It's either something they produced, or remixed, or something from their respective labels.

Did you understand the point I was making though?

I get what you're getting at, but I think you're somewhat undermining how much song selection outside of what's attached to their names plays into a dj set. What venues have you seen these dj's at? I've cut down on parties/club shows recently but I've been going to festivals/shows for almost 10 years and that's generally been the case for me. But there are def venues where if that dj is the only known/popular dj playing, he will play a lot of his own **** so i'll give you that. Bigger events I would say not so much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom