engagement /marriage thread.

We looked at 2ct rings but they are monstrosities. Stupid big and ripe for the picking. My mom has a nice 2ct, it can be seen from a mile away, but she’s a gangsta and stays strapped. My lil brothers swears she’s got bodies. You gotta look at your lifestyle once you get above 1.5ct. We live in DC and like to be out and about. I didn't think she needed be on the metro or uber rocking a 20k rock.

Yeah I haven’t gone to check out anything in person yet so that’s good to know. Very true about the safety thing since we are in NYC. What did you end up going with? 1.5 ct?

usabasketball08 usabasketball08 I went with a 1.5ct natural diamond (round, near colorless, Il clarity). She gets compliments all the time. It is definitely noticeable but not over the top IMO. The imperfection is only noticeable from the bottom of the stone and looking very close.

My advice is to definitely shop around. Learn about color and clarity. Ask whether it’s conflict free and compare to other stones of different sizes and clarity they have on hand. I went in completely blind just window shopping and definitely got worked by the salesperson. I was able to get 20% because of the Mother’s Day sale. But after doing a bit more research I probably could have saved 1-2k.

She loves her ring and that’s all that matters. I’m sure she’ll love whatever you get her. Natural, lab, whatever. But I would say from my experience that 1.5ct is a very good size without being too much.

What are the clarity, color and cut you went with?
Curious to know this as well.
I bought on Blue Nile, James Allen is worth checking out also. You pick your specific diamond and see the level of detail you wont get in store. I looked at so many damn diamonds before picking the perfect one lol

1.24ct
Ideal cut
H color
VS2 clarity
Round shape

This was the perfect combo for me. Band has 3/8ct.Whole ring under 10k

She “wanted” 1.5ct but wouldnt have known the difference if i didnt tell her the size. Gets compliments on it daily

"Bright", I see what you did there
bright-2017-03.jpg

I bought on Blue Nile, James Allen is worth checking out also. You pick your specific diamond and see the level of detail you wont get in store. I looked at so many damn diamonds before picking the perfect one lol

1.24ct
Ideal cut
H color
VS2 clarity
Round shape

This was the perfect combo for me. Band has 3/8ct.Whole ring under 10k

She “wanted” 1.5ct but wouldnt have known the difference if i didnt tell her the size. Gets compliments on it daily
You happen to have a pic? Exactly what I wanted in the diamond but a 1ct. Checked both bluenile and jamesallen but liked jamesallens bands more.

Engagement ring I got for my lady a year and a half go. Cushion cut diamond, 0.90 ct., G, VS2, excellent polish, very good symmetry, and faint fluorescence. The band is a .42 ct cushion cut halo. I use to think bigger was better but definitely not the case after doing research. The ring was $5.4K.

4E226D29-DB0A-4029-8E44-8B61738D60DF.jpeg

What does the GIA and IGL certification do for you?
Only if you plan on selling does it matter.
And there’s quite a price difference between certified and non certified.

This Is what I tell my friends that plan on getting a ring.
(Get the biggest/best stone you can afford. One and done. Marriage is forever.)

I only wish I thought about this when I bought my wife’s engagement ring in ‘02.

Make no mistake.
. . . size does matter. Don’t let her fool you. When your not there, and it’s just the females talking. They ooogle, stare, and compare. They talk.

Engagement ring I got for my lady a year and a half go. Cushion cut diamond, 0.90 ct., G, VS2, excellent polish, very good symmetry, and faint fluorescence. The band is a .42 ct cushion cut halo. I use to think bigger was better but definitely not the case after doing research. The ring was $5.4K.

4E226D29-DB0A-4029-8E44-8B61738D60DF.jpeg
Beautiful ring and honestly it looks bigger than what it is. Nice work.

The idea of marriage/proposal being one and done makes it hard to really learn and share from experience.

I was pretty certain my girl would like the ring. But I was also not opposed to her wanting to go exchange it for one she liked of she didn’t. She’s the one wearing it. I almost want to exchange it just to get a chance at a do over :lol:

^
For sure, the one and done idea is hard to fathom. (At least that is the goal.)

Upgrades and exchanges on rings is common. (Style changes, gain/lose weight, or whatever reason.)

But your right. The whole experience, from start to finish is quite memorable.

Yall ever get worried that maybe a ring u get her is too flashy and she might get robbed?
nowadays u can get robbed anywhere if u in a major city

Yall ever get worried that maybe a ring u get her is too flashy and she might get robbed?
nowadays u can get robbed anywhere if u in a major city
That’s why I think .5-1.25 carat is the sweet spot. I personally like a plain band not iced out so it’s not too flashy

That’s why I think .5-1.25 carat is the sweet spot. I personally like a plain band not iced out so it’s not too flashy

I got my wife a 1.06 classic round from Tiffany. The 2.0 ct single stones are massive.

Realistically I could see going to 1.5 without it seeming intentionally OD. Finger size and area also play a factor in how OD a ring will look.

Man just thinking about it, I’ve been engaged for two years. Me and the fiancé haven’t even brought up the topic of when the wedding will happen. Having a child and the pandemic really set things back.

Back
Top Bottom