Engineering Majors?

Damn, that's $225 down the drain. You didn't study at all the first time?

I just registered for it and bought the book/calculator that i'll be using, hopefully they come in this week, so i can start grinding and take the EIT in May or so.

Guys whats some tips to work the EIT? I didnt study the first time and didnt pass so I am going to start going on a grind. I bought the review book and gonna go one small section a day for a few months. 

What yall think?
It's all review. You won't be able to learn anything at this point. It's either you know it or you dont

Do a small portion a night over the course of 2-3 months and you'll be fine. 

i think it depends...I worked the electrical side of MEP for a couple years and there def was a lot of stuff i did in college that just didn't apply. programming, signal processing, calc, diff eq, digital comm...matlab, etc.

but at the same time i realize that is construction. a real EE job like one you'd get from say lockheed, or mathworks, or intel or boeing, could def incorporate a lot (if not all) of what you'd learn in school.

man if I could do it all over again, i'd go medicine, specifically PA. didn't know what a PA was back then, and my engineering GPA is below a 3 so w.e at this point (schools don't give AF if u got an engineering degree). having said all that, im proud i made it thru the program, and as a minority where people judge a book by its cover, that EE degree commands respect.
Yeah it does depend on what you do after college and where you work. 

I co-oped all through college and worked for 2 different companies during that time. I saw the manufacturing side in an assembly plant for 2 years and then went R&D for 2 years with product development, testing, and FEA departments. Ended up with a full time job doing 3D CAD modeling using Pro-E.

If any of you has the opportunity to co-op I would HIGHLY recommend it. It lets you see how your academics applies to real life applications and also lets you figure out where you want to go in the engineering field. It's so broad with so many options.

Is there a course or a program to sign up for to help me? I looked at how many questions I needed to actually pass, and it was around 10 more. So I feel like with some studying I can  get those 10 additional questions  right. What do I need to do?

Review a little every day?

Is there a course or a program to sign up for to help me? I looked at how many questions I needed to actually pass, and it was around 10 more. So I feel like with some studying I can  get those 10 additional questions  right. What do I need to do?

I passed with flying colors and all I did was review a section a day in the review book I had. 

The exam is really straight forward. 

So this week I landed an internship, which will in turn lead to a full-time position, with a state DOT. Any tips on how to prepare myself and what to expect on the job? I've been told to familiarize myself with MicroStation, as that is what a lot of companies turn to now.

I took it 18 years ago after undergrad. Sure its changed, but back then it was heavily biased towards mech engr. I'd say 40% of the questions, also a lot of basic math principles.

Man literally running on 4 hours of sleep on these past 2 days ... Calc 3 & Physics test back to back , just imagined if I would've taken differential also . I literally have to request 4 days every other week to study .
do you have to take linear algebra as well? You should take both next semester(diff. eq's and linear) if you can. If you don't need linear, then diff eq's is pretty easy man.

GL

Last edited:

I passed with flying colors and all I did was review a section a day in the review book I had. 

The exam is really straight forward. 
I know. I barely failed it. I needed like ten more questions. You dont have to sound so condescending man.

Just trying to get some help. Obviously I need to study for it cus its been a couple years. 

I know. I barely failed it. I needed like ten more questions. You dont have to sound so condescending man.

Just trying to get some help. Obviously I need to study for it cus its been a couple years. 
That was not my intention at all but if that's how you took it....

You asked if there was anything you could do to prepare. I said practice. That's it, because the exam is very straight forward. 

For those asking about tips for the FE exam, there really isn't anything special you can do to prepare besides working as many problems as possible. By that I mean working out the problems without looking at the solutions beforehand. It's the same concept as you'd want to approach any lecture/class, don't just jot things down thinking you are really comprehending and familiarizing yourself with it. Really try to work as many problems. Also, get as much rest as you can the day before, that should be obvious. Just my 2 cents, good luck to all.

Last edited:
Anyone working in a chemical plant?? How is it?

Seems like oil money is really drying up so I'm thinking chemicals may the place for me to really settle in and have a long term career.

Ran across this regarding Engineering majors. Hope NT fam avoids this like the plague:
Here is a script that is happening across many universities:
Engineering guy likes girl. Girl friend zones him and strings him along through college providing hope of future relationship.

Engineering guy spends weekends doing homework and projects

Girl wants the college experience so hits the parties and frats and bangs a ton of guys

College is over, Engineering guy has secured a good job

Girl brings him out of the friend zone and tells him, I was stupid to not know how much of a great guy you are

Guy thinks he hit the jackpot, he's got a great job and he's out of the friendzone. Everything is going to be wonderful from now on

Last edited:

Ran across this regarding Engineering majors. Hope NT fam avoids this like the plague:
Sad that this probably happens.

But I'm glad the main attraction towards women for me is success. I like a girl who has her own career and is making her own $$$. 

I don't date bums. 

Sad that this probably happens.

But I'm glad the main attraction towards women for me is success. I like a girl who has her own career and is making her own $$$

I don't date bums. 

strong this. i really have no desire to wife a shorty who isn't financially independent.

with that FE exam, that really only applies to MEP right? well FE and PE in general. :nerd:

With the FE, you just have to review and do problem after problem. That's really the only way. In CA, it's on computer now, so timing each problem plays a factor as well.

The PE was a lot of work. I'm one of those type of dudes that feel I need to do as much as possible to have a chance, so I put in work for 3 months. Just cranked out problems in every subject except concrete and structures.

Anyone here has or know someone with a Master's in Engineering Management?

Anyone here has or know someone with a Master's in Engineering Management?

I know a few people in my company who are studying it. Don't know much about it other than its a hybrid degree.

MBA is the route to go IMO. Can open the same doors as an engineering management degree plus more

What's some practical applications of an MBA within Engineering?

For my company specifically there's two ladders: technical and leadership. An MBA applies for managers, directors, etc.

Especially useful in project management.

I am going to start a Masters program this summer. Still not sure if I want to do ME, EM, or MBA. I am trying to transition from consulting to PM, Qualitly, or Maintenance Engineering. I wonder how helpful that degree was in obtaining that position. The EM curriculum seems tailor made for what I want to do, but I can't find any of my peers who has or know anyone with it.

I am going to start a Masters program this summer. Still not sure if I want to do ME, EM, or MBA. I am trying to transition from consulting to PM, Qualitly, or Maintenance Engineering. I wonder how helpful that degree was in obtaining that position. The EM curriculum seems tailor made for what I want to do, but I can't find any of my peers who has or know anyone with it.

I'm on the leadership track for my rotation program but I went with the technical graduate degree. I personally think Its the most applicable across all possible jobs I could potentially run into. At the end of the day, we're all engineers and have to have a technical aptitude to make certain decisions. So that's the "safe" bet IMO.

But if you want to go into Project Management, I think an MBA or EM is perfect.

Shameless Plug: I think my program at Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals is perfect for my situation. Because we're learning how to apply the material to real world applications.

And the networking is invaluable. Getting a chance to see all my classmates perspectives and how they apply the learning to their careers

Back
Top Bottom