European Championship 2012, Poland-Ukraine June 8-July 1

God now I have to hear these fake Italian soccer fans cheering for a team they know nothing about for another week. I hope Germany smacks them 5-0.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

God now I have to hear these fake Italian soccer fans cheering for a team they know nothing about for another week. I hope Germany smacks them 5-0.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Watched the game at a Scouse bar in Boston. Door man gave me a
indifferent.gif
when he saw my very Italian last name on my ID.
laugh.gif
Thankfully I was able to quickly bond with the handful of other Italian fans so I didn't get my %** kicked. Not a great game, but certainly the tension in any game that goes to ET/PKs makes it quite an event.

I was too excited after the win to post until now.

England's stellar D prevented this game from ending early on like it should have the way Italy had the touches and shot attempts that they had. But going into PK's and winning the coin toss, I knew we'd prevail.

I don't know what had me more hype, Buffon's save early on in the game or Pirlo's soft-like-a-boss PK.

Bring on Germany!

I'm so confused about this game.

I watched it and thought it was a terrible game of soccer filled with missed chances and premature long-range pot shots. Other than Pirlo's passing and a few touches from Montolivo and Rooney, the game was played at an incredibly low level. I kept thinking over and over again that I wish there were a way for both teams to be eliminated.

Then I get online and both CNN and ESPN are calling it an incredible game and the best of the tournament so far.

Seriously?

/\
laugh.gif

I dunno. Wasnt the worst game ive ever seen by any stretch but im with u on it bein pretty lackluster overall. Cassano n balo sucked. Rooney n welbeck too tho *shrug*

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I watched it and thought it was a terrible game of soccer filled with missed chances and premature long-range pot shots. Other than Pirlo's passing and a few touches from Montolivo and Rooney, the game was played at an incredibly low level. I kept thinking over and over again that I wish there were a way for both teams to be eliminated.

Then I get online and both CNN and ESPN are calling it an incredible game and the best of the tournament so far.

Seriously?
they are just saying it to say it, that was a terrible match. esp considering the point into the tournament that it was in, none of the two teams played like they deserved to be in the semi-finals...

oh and im all for inspiring more football fans so....

german-girl.jpg

146687310nn.jpg

hotfan.jpg

wink.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Seriously?
Yeah, quality-of-football wise, I thought it was very mediocre.  Italy had some strong procession and some decent passing in the MF, but squandered too many scoring opportunities.  England, while showed some strong-defending, just sat further back as the game progressed and couldn't make the most out of their few scoring opportunities.  
I guess, if anything, the drama of it all was exciting.  

I do love a penalty shootout - and especially when England lose in one.

Spoiler [+]
Which is almost always.

Originally Posted by GMA 11

Well Italy deserved it.. But that has to be one of the most pathetic England performances I've ever seen.

Completely agreed. Shocking display from the England side. 0 ambition to try and win and if Capello was the coach he would be getting SLAUGHTERED by the British press for such a negative display...We'll see if they say anything about Roy. 
Why the *$#* did he not put someone else in midfield in the second half to try and successfully combat Pirlo and co? 
mad.gif

Bar the Sweden game (and their crap defense) England were very poor and toothless this whole damn tournament. 

*sigh* /rant

We got out of the group and I said that if we did that this Euro would be a success but man we aren't improving at ALL!

Credit to Italy though the better team went through.

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

Italy will beat Germany, mark my words.

Italy is a powerhouse that can beat any team any time, so saying this with "mark my words" isn't exactly a bold claim.

I still think that had Italy gone through the group stage in the 2010 WC, they could've possibly won it all.

They're just a team that need a slap in the face to wake them up, that's all. The fact that they won a World Cup on nothing but draws in the group stage says it all.

They've beaten Germany on their own soil in the 2006 WC, they can do it again. I still give a slight edge to the Germans though.

Those European girls 
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

My heart hurts knowing theres nations upon nations of beautiful women across the pond.

American girls aint good for the soul.

Well the grass is greener on the other side right?

A menina da Portugal
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by DLo13

Originally Posted by Biggie62

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Watched the game at a Scouse bar in Boston. Door man gave me a
indifferent.gif
when he saw my very Italian last name on my ID.
laugh.gif
Thankfully I was able to quickly bond with the handful of other Italian fans so I didn't get my %** kicked.   
What bar did you go to?

Originally Posted by engoi

No.
Good point, lots of substance. Especially considering the fact that you have a Schalke avy, I can rest easy knowing your opinion toward this subject is completely unbiased.

Originally Posted by engoi

No.
Good point, lots of substance. Especially considering the fact that you have a Schalke avy, I can rest easy knowing your opinion toward this subject is completely unbiased.

You can't clearly say who will win.Both sides have good playes and Löw is a good coach as Prandelli is a good coach.
Of course I hope Germany will win but I know in soccer everything can happen.Nevertheless I see Germany with advantages:
- more time to rest and no game with 120 minutes for Germany
- nearly every player can score
- Italy doesn't any longer play catenacchio, Prandelli wants to play against Germany attacking football

Unfortunately Italy has Pirlo
ohwell.gif

Pirlo was amazing yesterday but England didn't really press him therefore allowing him to run the MF. Nothing new there though, English football has become very defensive minded, dropping back deep into your own half not giving your opponents odd man chances/space. Chelsea did this the entire CL and was successful. Sure they got dominated on possession and just about everywhere else on the field yesterday but they took it a PK which England cannot be disappointed with. They gave themselves a chance. Glad the better team prevailed for once in a PK
laugh.gif

I think Italy's chances will rely solely on the fitness of Chiellini. Germany will try to control the pace of the game, and Italy will need a solid backline. We'll see how effective Pirlo is, but I don't expect him to be in the same form as yesterday. Looking forward to both the semi's. Gonna be some great football.

It seemed early on that England were using Rooney/Welbeck to shadow Pirlo early and deny him the ball near the center circle. As the game went on, it seemed both either tired physically or tired of just doing anything defensive. Can't imagine it's an easy role to accept as a striker.

Not sure anybody could have expected much more from England this tournament. Same squad, new manager (with hardly the time but to do anything but set his teams up defensively), same results. They have a chance to improve by 2014, but it'll depend on the development of some young guys and Roy's willingness to cut loose some of the old guard.

Rooney was supposed to be pressing Pirlo when not in possession, but he didn't look match fit.

Completely agree w/ trunks206, that was an all around embarrassing performance - from the approach to the inept play. Actually, England were pretty much outplayed in every game they played. If Capello had that kind of tournament an angry mob would be descending on his house, but since it's an old English gent in charge like Hodgson, he will be spared the jingoistic media bloodbath. 
They can talk about improvement, and holding the ball more, and Wilshere being their Pirlo all they want, but they've hired a tactical dinosaur so I don't see them improving one iota in 2014. He'll continue to play not to lose with his two banks of four, and it'll be the same pathetic story. Won't matter how much their young players improve, as they won't be given the chance to express themselves on the pitch and show their quality. Negative football. 

Pirlo's Panenka
pimp.gif

Is Schweinsteiger playing against Italy Thursday?

Keep hearing his ankle is bothering him again.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by jordanfreek45

Nothing new there though, English football has become very defensive minded, dropping back deep into your own half not giving your opponents odd man chances/space. Chelsea did this the entire CL and was successful. Sure they got dominated on possession and just about everywhere else on the field yesterday but they took it a PK which England cannot be disappointed with. They gave themselves a chance. 

In the CL final, Chelsea started 2 players from England out of the 11 and even the manager was foreign. Would hardly consider that a representation of English football. And before you give me the "they play in England excuse" consider that AVB managed the exact same Chelsea squad in the same season and had a completely different attacking strategy that was far from defensive. Just like England, Chelsea had a weak attack and an even weaker midfield. But a strong defense. Any team in that situation is going to be inclined to play a more defensive style a football regardless of the country. Just like Chelsea, England played the best strategy to give them a chance to win with their given squad. 

Anyone know where I can get Portugal gear in the NYC area/Long Island area? Or maybe know of a major retailer such as Sports Authority that might sell it? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by brownsuga1

Anyone know where I can get Portugal gear in the NYC area/Long Island area? Or maybe know of a major retailer such as Sports Authority that might sell it? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Ever heard of the internet ?

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Originally Posted by brownsuga1

Ever heard of the internet ?
I wanted to see the apparel and try it on in person. But you're a cool guy, cool guy.

Back
Top Bottom