European Championship 2012, Poland-Ukraine June 8-July 1

Mario said today was the best day of his life. He's scored 3 goals so that means he's tied for golden boot right? imagine if in the Final...

Originally Posted by macbk

I said it since Italy/England... if Italy scores first/early, Buffon will do his thing and they will win their games.

Super Mario and gianLUIGI Buffon *waits for a PS of that to surface*.

Spain is beatable, and the Italians are playing great ball right now. You thought beating Germany was an upset? Wait for Sunday
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
 @ "Ive said it since Italy/ England". That was the last game Italy played prior to today. 
laugh.gif

I

Pleased for the Italians. Ze Germans were already rubbing their hands together at the prospects of a chance at revenge against La Roja, but it's the same increasingly familiar story for them. 
The tournament has slowed a bit since the group stages, but the last game was great, and hopefully the final is epic. What a midfield battle it'll be. I expect Italy will use the same midfield diamond to combat Xavi and company, but with the Spanish composure and passing I expect we'll eventually win the midfield battle which hopefully will translate into a victory. Obviously will need to be clinical in front of goal, and shade Pirlo goalside as well as possible. Always at risk from those long balls when playing a high defensive line as Espana does. 
Happy for my dude Mario, though. Fantastic brace. 

1340966809953.jpg

pimp.gif

Great win on Italy's behalf. However, I do firmly believe if Klose and Reus were in since the beginning, Germany would have won.
Mario Gomez is a player I feel can score goals only when it doesn't count. He'll get you past the group stages and first knock out round but that's as far as he'll take you.

The media was ready to slaughter Scholl for criticizing Gomez after the first game for not running enough against Portugal (when he scored). It took guts to criticize him after a game where he scored, but after yesterday, it is obvious that Scholl was correct. It's all good when Gomez scores, but when he doesn't score like yesterday, he is a complete BUM.

Gomez is simply a player who waits for the goal scoring opportunities to find him and doesn't do enough to seek out those opportunities himself. To me, he looks like the type of player you put in the game with 20 minutes or so remaining if you need a goal.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

The media was ready to slaughter Scholl for criticizing Gomez after the first game for not running enough against Portugal (when he scored). It took guts to criticize him after a game where he scored, but after yesterday, it is obvious that Scholl was correct. It's all good when Gomez scores, but when he doesn't score like yesterday, he is a complete BUM.

Gomez is simply a player who waits for the goal scoring opportunities to find him and doesn't do enough to seek out those opportunities himself. To me, he looks like the type of player you put in the game with 20 minutes or so remaining if you need a goal.
Gomez is who he is, a typical poacher who isn't going to bring others into the run of play. I don't blame Gomez for Germany's shortcoming against Italy, because it wasn't his fault. You can't ask a player to completely change his mentality for a match.

Why Jogi started Kroos made no sense in the way he played him, he didn't drop deep enough to help defend against the diamond and he wasn't very effective in helping the flow of their attack. It forced Ozil to push out of his more natural play making role. Had Jogi started Reus on the right and left Ozil in the center, Reus and Podolski would've most likely provided more width, giving Ozil more space centrally, thus providing much better service for Gomez. Italy's back line was not perfect, Buffon made mistakes, and there were a few lucky deflections as well.

Also Boateng was terrible, he needed to provide width given the lineup Germany utilized. He rarely pushed forward, the few times he did push forward Germany created better chances.

Originally Posted by yankeesking92

Great win on Italy's behalf. However, I do firmly believe if Klose and Reus were in since the beginning, Germany would have won.
Mario Gomez is a player I feel can score goals only when it doesn't count. He'll get you past the group stages and first knock out round but that's as far as he'll take you.

Nah not really, the German mid filed was completely neutralized thus they had no organized idea of how to get the ball to their forwards....

The result is misleading as that was a terrible penalty call, since Klose should have been called for the foul on Balzaretti since he was clearly holding him, and of course we blew too many chances.

Mario+Balotelli+hugs+his+adopted+mother+at+the+end+of+the+Euro+2012+semi+final+match

http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/mario balotelli
Mario Balotelli fired Italy into the Euro 2012 final – then dedicated both goals to his mother.

Manchester City striker Balotelli went to the stands and hugged his adoptive mum Silvia after Italy’s shock victory over Germany, and promised to beat Spain in Sunday’s final.

Balotelli said: “What image I will take this game? Certainly after the game when I went to my mom and I said, ‘These goals are for you.’

Watch Mario's goals - and THAT celebration - here

“I waited for this moment for so long, especially since Mom came up to here and I wanted to make her happy.

“Tonight was the most beautiful of my life, but I hope that this Sunday is even better. Now we just need to rest assured and beat the Spanish.

“With Spain we are the two best teams in the tournament. Can we win? I’ll tell you on Sunday.

cant wait for this game man. gonna cop some paella and cheer on the squad. im hoping for another spanish victory but a good, competitive, fierce game is all i ask for.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

What time is the game?

Kick-off is 2:45 EST

I just want some entertainment. I don't think it is going to happen though.

I'd love to see Spain start Fabregas up top and wear Italy out for the first hour, then bring on Llorente and Navas, and then let Alba naturally push up the left side for the last half hour but we'll probably see the same game Spain has played all tournament long. There really is no reason for them to change. This match will especially let Alba's attacking talent shine because Italy has absolutely no natural width and Balzaretti is playing out of position on the right.

Italy seems they will use the 4-4-2 Diamond, but I really think they should go with the 3-5-2. Spain is predictable with how they are going to play and the 3-5-2 would provide more natural width to counter Spain without having to rely on Cassano making diagonals. If Italy uses the 4-4-2 Diamond I expect Spain to have an easier time executing their predictable game plan.

30t6p3b.gif
my stupid brother and his birthday today. He wants to see a movie at 3, so I'm going to miss the entire game today

Hopefully Italy comes through with the win and Super Mario has another strong game.

Your brother is birthday trolling you to the limits 
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

I'll be at a bar for the game, so I won't be posting.

Let's Go Italy
pimp.gif
, hoping Super Mario shines again.

We could have seen the earlier showing, but he's not a soccer fan so even if we were around a TV at the time.. he wouldn't want to watch it.

This is the same guy who I had to twist his arm to watch basketball on Christmas Day at his house. He's killing me
laugh.gif

After a brief scare with getting my cable working right after moving yesterday, I'm good to go. I love my local soccer bar, but wasn't trying to head there today. Big crowd packed in tight for this match and 100+ degrees outside...no thank you.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

30t6p3b.gif
my stupid brother and his birthday today. He wants to see a movie at 3, so I'm going to miss the entire game today

Hopefully Italy comes through with the win and Super Mario has another strong game.

Damn, he pretty much c**k slapped you with that one
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I just want a good game....and for Italy to win 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom