Executive Order 9066 - Japanese Internment --- 67 yrs later...

Man, people really don't know their U.S. history. The American Revolution involved many stakeholders including:
A) Anglo-European ex-patriots (White, I guess)
B) Native Americans - specifically the Iroquois
C) African slaves and freed men
D) Contingents of French, Spanish, and Creole (indigenous-European mix)

Originally Posted by nnarum

Originally Posted by ericberry14

Originally Posted by rickybadman

Originally Posted by 718stylez

i wish people really knew the history of our country and the history and struggles of the many people that make it great. not just black white, but asian americans, native americans, latin americans etc.

we've all paid our dues.
what dues have white people paid?
Ummm... you know that white dudes fought the Revolutionary War and most of the Union Army was white, so yes whites have paid. That being said saying every race paid without acknowledging whose bill was the biggest is wrong, in my opinion . Black and Native Americans paid the greatest price.
the last 2 sentences are perfectly stated. But still could you people be more specific about how white people have paid the same type of dues that other races have
It is like this, if white men did not fight and die in the Revolutionary War the country would not get it;s independence i.e American would not exist. Also no matter how much African Americans hate to hear this white men are the ones who fought( sometimes against heir own family members) and died in the Civil War, a war that lead to the end of slavery. Yes white men caused a lot of suffering for other races but others died to guarantee the freedoms and rights all American enjoy today.
thank you for that answer. pretty good explanation of how white people have paid some dues in the building of this country.

But why does this even matter? The original topic is about the inhumane treatment of fellow citizens, regardless of ethnic background.
could you stop quoting/responding to me? you have nothing intelligent to say about the issue, so just dead it.

interesting to hear the stories from my relatives who were in the camps and how little enmity they hold towards the US government.

By your ignorant comment I hope you were referring to the wealthy elite. Money knows no skin color. Every race has had hardships. Some worse than others.
please tell me the dues that white people have paid
I can't say that it's a situation like slavery or a concentration camp, but the holocaust involved white Jewish people. I don't think nearly as many people died as what has been reported, but a lot of people were tortured and killed because they believed in different things, or didn't have body features as how the Nazis wanted. Just one example since your dying to hear...

And please do not get this topic derailed because of your personal opinions. If you have nothing to bring to the table for the topic at hand, start a new thread.

And one last thing, the constant bickering about who's suffered the most puts situations like the original topic out of focus... How are you supposed to learn from something if you're not willing to understand.
smh.gif
the holocaust didnt happein in the United States big guy. im under the impression that we are specifically referring to the United States when talking about who paid their dues.

EDIT: did i ever compare who has suffered the most? No i didn't, i simply asked how have white people paid their dues. No comparison has been made in this thread, you are the one bringing up the issue of comparison
Then don't say ignorant things of "how have white people paid their dues?"... You didn't specify who and where. You generalized a race because you are concerned with who was treated the worst. It's not about that. It's about learning to understand and respect each other. Something you have shown that you cannot do due to your personal beliefs and ignorance to understand others.
you do realize that this topic is about the Japanese Internment in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. why would we be talking about anywhere else? But once again please show me where i said ANYTHING about who was treated worse. you can look through every single post i've made in this thread & you wont find a single instance of me talking about who had it worse.

Also if you look at the post i made right before this, you can see how me & rickybadman got my question answered in an intelligent manner without trying to put down anybody. I asked a question which required a thoughtful answer & he provided that for me. You on the other hand were unable to do that, so we can cease this lil discussion.
But the nature of your question is inherently racist. By the way you responded to the quote, it came off as a "how can you say they'vesuffered," which could be interpreted as who suffered more... I apologize if you didn't mean that, but that's how it came off. Also I do realizethe thread is about fellow citizens. If you read my first comment in the thread, you'd have understood that.

Originally Posted by RellNye

Irish aka the White %%@+%!,

indifferent.gif

i really hope thats not what i think its supposed to say.

anyways.. i dont think 9066 was covered enough in history classes.. its an important event especially in regards to US History.

By your ignorant comment I hope you were referring to the wealthy elite. Money knows no skin color. Every race has had hardships. Some worse than others.
please tell me the dues that white people have paid
I can't say that it's a situation like slavery or a concentration camp, but the holocaust involved white Jewish people. I don't think nearly as many people died as what has been reported, but a lot of people were tortured and killed because they believed in different things, or didn't have body features as how the Nazis wanted. Just one example since your dying to hear...

And please do not get this topic derailed because of your personal opinions. If you have nothing to bring to the table for the topic at hand, start a new thread.

And one last thing, the constant bickering about who's suffered the most puts situations like the original topic out of focus... How are you supposed to learn from something if you're not willing to understand.
smh.gif
the holocaust didnt happein in the United States big guy. im under the impression that we are specifically referring to the United States when talking about who paid their dues.

EDIT: did i ever compare who has suffered the most? No i didn't, i simply asked how have white people paid their dues. No comparison has been made in this thread, you are the one bringing up the issue of comparison
Then don't say ignorant things of "how have white people paid their dues?"... You didn't specify who and where. You generalized a race because you are concerned with who was treated the worst. It's not about that. It's about learning to understand and respect each other. Something you have shown that you cannot do due to your personal beliefs and ignorance to understand others.
you do realize that this topic is about the Japanese Internment in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. why would we be talking about anywhere else? But once again please show me where i said ANYTHING about who was treated worse. you can look through every single post i've made in this thread & you wont find a single instance of me talking about who had it worse.

Also if you look at the post i made right before this, you can see how me & rickybadman got my question answered in an intelligent manner without trying to put down anybody. I asked a question which required a thoughtful answer & he provided that for me. You on the other hand were unable to do that, so we can cease this lil discussion.
But the nature of your question is inherently racist. You questioned the quote you made as if to say, how can you say they've suffered which could be interpreted as who suffered more... I apologize if you didn't mean that, but that's how it came off. Also I do realize the thread is about fellow citizens. If you read my first comment in the thread, you'd have understood that.
aiite. well to clear it up, it wasnt meant to be in any way shape or form racist. I just wanted to hear how white americans had paid their dues. Iguess i can see how you could interpret that as me questioning who suffered more, but as i repeatedly told you, that just wasnt the case.

Anyways.. in remembrance of this shame and all shames.. it's pretty dumb that people are arguing about whites paying their dues.. no1 should have to payany dues..

Guys are mentioning bad stuff that happen to whites and Japanese. they are not on the same level as the evils that individual races had to endure that resulted in the advancement of the country. 9066, Irish immigrants being discriminated and other injustices were horrible, unjust, inhumane and evil but they did not result in the advancement of the country like slavery and the butchering of the Native Americans did.
add African-Americans to that last sentence & we are good to go

Originally Posted by jeyel

Originally Posted by RellNye

Irish aka the White %%@+%!,

indifferent.gif

i really hope thats not what i think its supposed to say.

anyways.. i dont think 9066 was covered enough in history classes.. its an important event especially in regards to US History.

It is supposed to say that. Suck it up. That's what they were referred as before they assimilated and were accepted. They were on the same level as freedmen and just above slaves.

Guys are mentioning bad stuff that happen to whites and Japanese. they are not on the same level as the evils that individual races had to endure that resulted in the advancement of the country. 9066, Irish immigrants being discriminated and other injustices were horrible, unjust, inhumane and evil but they did not result in the advancement of the country like slavery and the butchering of the Native Americans did.

So what? This post is not about who's suffering was worse. Its about the injustices that the Japanese Americans faced during World War II. It had nothingto do with anyone else until people strayed off topic with "our suffering was worse" comments.

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Anyways.. in remembrance of this shame and all shames.. it's pretty dumb that people are arguing about whites paying their dues.. no1 should have to pay any dues..
you right, but at the same time, i refuse to let generations of children grow up rewriting their own histories and all "oh, we know what it's like...we went through...."
you know, i feel the exact same way as you Enph, it annoys me to no end when white people try to downplay slavery just because it happened a whileago, then they rattle off the "injustices" that white people suffered.

its like these kids have no idea about the true history of the country

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

So what? This post is not about who's suffering was worse. Its about the injustices that the Japanese Americans faced during World War II. It had nothing to do with anyone else until people strayed off topic with "our suffering was worse" comments.
Yes it is about the suffering of Japanese American, an act I acknowledge was horrible. What I am trying to say even though all races paid, not all suffering should not be viewed as equal.
Nobody said anything about the suffering of Japanese Americans and African Americans being equal, nor did they say anything about the suffering ofWhite Americans and African Americans being equal. If they did they're clearly misguided and have no idea what they're talking about.

But again, this post has nothing to do with others suffering, it was started to show wrongdoing by the American government against Japanese Americans. Granted,the American government has wrong great deals of people, this post was about one instance, and it was not meant to start a who's is bigger contest forethnic groups suffering.

not all suffering should not be viewed as equal.
good lord....does it really matter?
"Who suffered the most" is not a bragging contest that I'd certainly not want to win.

are ya'll THAT salty that you've lost your ability to feel empathy for those who have suffered?...whether it be one person or a million?

Originally Posted by OWL TROUTWIG

Way to veer way off topic with your bitterness and contempt of "da white man"
why did you choose to say "da white man"?
Because that's what's being implied by many of the posters in this thread. Is there a problem with that?

Way to veer way off topic with your bitterness and contempt of "da white man"
why did you choose to say "da white man"?
Because that's what's being implied by many of the posters in this thread. Is there a problem with that?
just wondering why you chose to spell the that particular way.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

"Who suffered the most" is not a bragging contest that I'd certainly not want to win.

are ya'll THAT salty that you've lost your ability to feel empathy for those who have suffered?...whether it be one person or a million?

it isnt a contest that anybody wants to win. But it is insulting when some people claim that their race has suffered as much as others have. Itslike white people saying they've suffered as much as Black/Native Americans. its just an insult to the memory of those events & all those people whohad to endure through those times

Anyways.. in remembrance of this shame and all shames.. it's pretty dumb that people are arguing about whites paying their dues.. no1 should have to pay any dues..
you right, but at the same time, i refuse to let generations of children grow up rewriting their own histories and all "oh, we know what it's like...we went through...."
you know, i feel the exact same way as you Enph, it annoys me to no end when white people try to downplay slavery just because it happened a while ago, then they rattle off the "injustices" that white people suffered.

i mean, it's like this...

they be tired of hearing about it, so in turn, they get annoyed and try to argue....

how does one argue against history and fact? with opinion and emotion....

oh, and skewed/biased information...

like saying answering "what have whites contributed?"

and dude's response being" The revolutionary war; white men fought for the freedoms all americans enjoy"

meanwhile, he fails to mention as recent as the early 70s there were actual LAWS AND POLICIES in place that were biased and prejudiced...

how is your point fighting for freedoms, when noone got those freedoms up until the 70s?

no, not the 1770s....no, not the 1870s....the 1970s

i'm not gonna let anyone just spout off whatever in an argument because he's tired of hearing about slavery...

he's gonna get sonned until the post gets locked...period.

every "example" he pulls out his *!#, i'mma disprove it and be a HUGE jerk whilst doing so...
There is no reason to blame an entire race for the ignorance of a few, very misguided individuals who would not let go of racist ideals until the1970's.

I don't think anyone should be tired of hearing about slavery, it is a huge part of American history that needs to be recognized for what it was.

it isnt a contest that anybody wants to win. But it is insulting when some people claim that their race has suffered as much as others have. Its like white people saying they've suffered as much as Black/Native Americans. its just an insult to the memory of those events & all those people who had to endure through those times
Nobody is saying that. What they're trying to do is show how they've "paid their dues" which is what you asked on page one, andcompletely changed the topic of this thread. By doing so, you baited all of us into a who's is bigger discussion. Nobody is claiming that anyone'ssuffering is worse, they are just explaining how their people have suffered.

If its not a contest anyone wants to win, why do you keep trying to win it?

listen to "Kenji" by Fort Minor. really good song about mike shinoda's grandfather, and his familys experience with internmentcamps.

it isnt a contest that anybody wants to win. But it is insulting when some people claim that their race has suffered as much as others have. Its like white people saying they've suffered as much as Black/Native Americans. its just an insult to the memory of those events & all those people who had to endure through those times

but really...who did that ?

718's comment was:...

i wish people really knew the history of our country and the history and struggles of the many people that make it great. not just black white, but asian americans, native americans, latin americans etc.

we've all paid our dues.

Nowhere did I read that he's saying one suffered more than another... but rather people should learn the history of our nation and the stuggles everyonehad to endure.

And while you guys were busy bickering like children over who suffered more... you missed a great reply of his...

the concept of whiteness has changed greatly since the 1800's. Back then, whites were really only considered English, French, Dutch, German etc. Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese, Irish, Scottish and Jews of almost all ethnicity were considered non-white and experienced many of the same prejudice and discrimination as blacks. They were denied work, school and housing. Many Italians were lynched.

As the country grew, they were more able to assimilate (for obvious reasons) than blacks and were accepted into the fold.

Many people have suffered in the history of our country. Some more than others, obviously. But we've also all have pitched in in our own way to keep this nation moving onto bigger and better things.
If its not a contest anyone wants to win, why do you keep trying to win it?
well put.

you know, i feel the exact same way as you Enph, it annoys me to no end when white people try to downplay slavery just because it happened a while ago, then they rattle off the "injustices" that white people suffered.

i mean, it's like this...

they be tired of hearing about it, so in turn, they get annoyed and try to argue....

how does one argue against history and fact? with opinion and emotion....

oh, and skewed/biased information...

like saying answering "what have whites contributed?"

and dude's response being" The revolutionary war; white men fought for the freedoms all americans enjoy"

meanwhile, he fails to mention as recent as the early 70s there were actual LAWS AND POLICIES in place that were biased and prejudiced...

how is your point fighting for freedoms, when noone got those freedoms up until the 70s?

no, not the 1770s....no, not the 1870s....the 1970s

i'm not gonna let anyone just spout off whatever in an argument because he's tired of hearing about slavery...

he's gonna get sonned until the post gets locked...period.

every "example" he pulls out his *!#, i'mma disprove it and be a HUGE jerk whilst doing so...

my man does have a valid point

How did this get so off topic. I am 5th generation Japanese. My grandmother lost her mother in an interment camp that was located at Tanforan. I just want totake a second out to remember those Japanese who were held against their will and lost either loved ones, jobs, houses, etc. After the Japanese were releasedthey had to start all over. The one thing to take from this, is please do not forget the past and how others were treated. Just remember every race has bledand died for this country, white, black, asian, latin, indian, american indian, and every other race! hope you guys all have a great rest of your day!

I think we should always look back and acknowledge injustices.. then look forward and do something about any present and future injustices..

Back
Top Bottom