Executive Order 9066 - Japanese Internment --- 67 yrs later...

As with any topic about race...it always get's detracted from the original content...
that's to be expected

Indeed though..the best thing that you can take away from this is as you put it so simply.
please do not forget the past and how others were treated

as the saying goes.. those who forget history are doomed to repeat it

Growing up in the Northwest I had alot of friend's grandparents who dealt with this

[h1]War Relocation Authority Photographs of Japanese-American Evacuation andResettlement, 1942-1945[/h1]
JARDA: Japanese American Relocation Digital Archives is a collection of photographs,diaries, letters, camp newsletters, personal histories and a wealth of other material relating to the relocation and internment of Japanese Americans duringWorld War II. The site is divided into four categories: People, themen, women, and children who were incarcerated. Places, prewarneighborhoods and wartime camps. Daily Life, eating, sleeping,working, playing, and going to school. PersonalExperiences, letters, diaries, art and other writing by internees. Among the photographers hired by the War Relocation Authority was famed dust bowlphotographer Dorothea Lange. 855 of her photos are on thesite. Even though she was working as a propagandist many of her images captures a starker reality, for instance this picture of a glum little girl.

[h1]Japanese-AmericanInternment Camps[/h1]
A historical fact that is not really "common knowledge" is the fact that, during World War II, over 100,000 Japanese-American individuals,the vast majority of which were actually American citizens, were rounded up and shipped eventually to internment camps. These consisted of poorly-constructedbarracks surrounded by barbed wire, sentry posts and armed guards.

They were put in these camps, not because they had been tried and found guilty of something, but because either they or their parents or ancestorswere from Japan and, as such, they were deemed a "threat" to national security. They were also easily identifiable due to their race. There was nosimilar large-scale roundups of German or Italian-Americans, even though we were also fighting them during World War II.
Barbed%20Wire.gif
Manazar1.jpg
[h3] [/h3]

Originally Posted by ericberry14

Originally Posted by rickybadman

Guys are mentioning bad stuff that happen to whites and Japanese. they are not on the same level as the evils that individual races had to endure that resulted in the advancement of the country. 9066, Irish immigrants being discriminated and other injustices were horrible, unjust, inhumane and evil but they did not result in the advancement of the country like slavery and the butchering of the Native Americans did.
add African-Americans to that last sentence & we are good to go
stop feeling sorry for yourself for the things that YOU havent personally gone through
this topic is about order 9066 and not "african americans suffered the most in this country" so lets stick to that

I remember seeing the monument for the 442nd in Hawaii, the story is def one worth remembering. Its hard to get around the fact that these guys died fightingfor a country that unjustly imprisoned their community...although most were from Hawaii where there was no internment. The US definitely discriminated againstthese guys too, imo. From wikipedia:

"the 442nd suffered the loss of nearly half of its roster-over 800 casualties, including 121 dead - while rescuing 211 members of the 36th Infantry"
"The 442nd is commonly reported to have suffered a casualty rate of 314 percent, informally derived from 9,486 Purple Hearts divided by some 3,000 original in-theaterpersonnel. U.S. Army battle reports show the official casualty rate, combining KIA (killed) with MIA (missing) and WIA (wounded and removed from action) totals, is93%, still uncommonly high"

Definitely put these guys on the front lines as much as possible, just didn't value their lives as much as white soldiers (the 36th).
tired.gif

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

As with any topic about race...it always get's detracted from the original content...
that's to be expected

Indeed though..the best thing that you can take away from this is as you put it so simply.
please do not forget the past and how others were treated

as the saying goes.. those who forget history are doomed to repeat it
but dirty, white men fought and died in the 17- and 18-hundreds so that the japanese could enjoy their freedom of internment....

eyes.gif

Again you ignore all other arguments and make an ambiguous statement. The only reason that that subject was brought up in the first place wasbecause someone asked how white people had paid their dues. You cannot group every single white person into one, overlapping group that cheered every immoralaction that the government took. In fact there are those who say abolishing slavery was an issue after the Revolution but could not be sought because ofSouthern pressure and the instability of the Union. There were also White Americans who were against internment of Japanese citizens as well. This doesn'tmatter though, because all white people were bad and had a completely unanimous voice.

If my family got one thing out of the camps... it was that my grandparents met at Tule Lake.

98% of that stuff was terrible, awful stuff; my grandma still has that apology letter up on her mantlepiece. But... if it hadn't been for the camps, myfamily wouldn't be here today.

It's funny how good things come out of the bad sometimes, isn't it?...

Originally Posted by RellNye

Originally Posted by jeyel

Originally Posted by RellNye

Irish aka the White %%@+%!,

indifferent.gif

i really hope thats not what i think its supposed to say.

anyways.. i dont think 9066 was covered enough in history classes.. its an important event especially in regards to US History.

It is supposed to say that. Suck it up. That's what they were referred as before they assimilated and were accepted. They were on the same level as freed men and just above slaves.

i stand corrected on that.. never really heard that term used for Irish immigrants..

reading the last couple of pages.. im not really sure where this thread has gone/is going.. but props to Dirty for at least trying to have a discussion onthis.. shouldve known it was gonna go off on different tangents though
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom