Falling in love with Buddhism. Anyone make the change?

i'm a practicing Buddhist myself. please feel free to message me if you have any questions

Originally Posted by cartune

Just pick a seat and sit down you're all going to the same place.
Relgion isn't about believing in fairy tales or going to some place after you die. It's about improving the quality of your life.

To OP, I don't portray the verses in the bible literally but I believe if you live your life through the Bible's teachings you will ultimately life a better life and feel the peace and happiness that Buddhism pursues through meditation. In a way going to church and having faith is mediation, it gives you a feeling.

I been meaning to get into Buddhism for the past two years, but i never took the time to get any books or anything.

So can somebody post some good books about Buddhism for me?

Originally Posted by jmb1523

I been meaning to get into Buddhism for the past two years, but i never took the time to get any books or anything.

So can somebody post some good books about Buddhism for me?

"the miracle of mindfulness"

Originally Posted by hymen man

I do respect Buddhism though, seems like a calming religion. None of that angry BS.

That's how most religions are..but their followers are sometimes violent.

Originally Posted by nick0lis

i like the whole concept of buddhism except for the reincarnation thing

The thing about buddhism is it is not really concerned with the birth/rebirth cycle. They want to know more about present time. They are looking for a truer meaning to reality.

I have been looking into this myself lately as well. I guess I am wondering "how to start" for lack of a better phrase. I have been looking online at Buddhist temples that offer meditation classes and things like that from beginners to advance. I figure I should just go to a temple and talk to someone over there. It says all classes are free, but a donation is reccomended, anyone know what a reasonable ammount is? I live in Houston, so anyone else from here that practices?

Originally Posted by nublee

Originally Posted by Yen2dro3

You believe in a old fat Asian guy? are you Asian?
ohwell.gif
indifferent.gif

off yourself, seriously.

OP, I'm a Buddhist myself (though not a hardcore Buddhist), so if you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer
no your not. sit down.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by ChrisPhenephom

ohwell.gif
tired.gif

siddartha wasnt a asian guy tho. 

I am a Theravada Buddhist myself.

I advise those in this thread to read up on it and see if its for you.

ohwell.gif
tired.gif

dude...that's not Siddhartha though.

you are quite the ignorant fellow. do your research my dude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai

and buddhists don't "believe" in the buddha, like you believe in God or Jesus or Allah. we don't worship him as a deity. we just follow his teachings.

although some buddhist traditions do have deities. 

8 year old girl gets raped.

Christians: Not God's fault..we have free will!

Buddhists: It's not karma...sometime bad things just happen for no reason!

c'mon son....

whats your point?

not everything is so cut and clear and can be explained.

i mean which came first the chicken or the egg?

ohwell.gif
tired.gif

I don't know if you're a troll or just stupid, either way just stop posting.

Originally Posted by nick0lis

i like the whole concept of buddhism except for the reincarnation thing
it is metaphor for reincarnating in the PRESENT life.  meaning changing the chemistry of your thoughts, speech and actions into a positive force.

Originally Posted by BlitzenDunking

I have been looking into this myself lately as well. I guess I am wondering "how to start" for lack of a better phrase. I have been looking online at Buddhist temples that offer meditation classes and things like that from beginners to advance. I figure I should just go to a temple and talk to someone over there. It says all classes are free, but a donation is reccomended, anyone know what a reasonable ammount is? I live in Houston, so anyone else from here that practices?

you don't need to go anywhere to meditate.  you don't even have to be sitting on a mat with your legs crossed reapeating mantra. 

meditation simply means to be aware/present of your thoughts, speech and actions.  i highly recommend reading "the miracle of mindfulness"  it is a great book for anyone interested in learning the art of meditation.

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

whats your point?

not everything is so cut and clear and can be explained.

i mean which came first the chicken or the egg?

the egg

I made the change 5 years ago. I like most of the teachings out of all the other religions but I mainly stick to a collection of philosophical ideas. Can't really mess with some of the fantasy part and only reason I aint official is cuz I can't give up all my desires yet.

The five precepts, Noble eightfold path, four noble truths, three marks of existence, six supreme qualities, three refuges, etc. is all good once your committed
pimp.gif

I've been thinking about starting to practice Theravada Buddhism as well, I love the eastern philosophies, but I don't know where to start......

Back
Top Bottom