Falling in love with Buddhism. Anyone make the change?

Originally Posted by EstBeast

Religion is for weak people
Like you and I?

You believe in a old fat Asian guy? are you Asian?
ohwell.gif

????

What do you mean do I 'believe in a old fat Asian guy' ? Obviously there are old fat Asian guys walking this Earth....what do YOU believe in
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by VINTAGE SOLE 737

Originally Posted by BlitzenDunking

I have been looking into this myself lately as well. I guess I am wondering "how to start" for lack of a better phrase. I have been looking online at Buddhist temples that offer meditation classes and things like that from beginners to advance. I figure I should just go to a temple and talk to someone over there. It says all classes are free, but a donation is reccomended, anyone know what a reasonable ammount is? I live in Houston, so anyone else from here that practices?

you don't need to go anywhere to meditate.  you don't even have to be sitting on a mat with your legs crossed reapeating mantra. 

meditation simply means to be aware/present of your thoughts, speech and actions.  i highly recommend reading "the miracle of mindfulness"  it is a great book for anyone interested in learning the art of meditation.

Thanks for the info, I will check out that book.  So you can just practice all of this stuff at your home and still get the same sense of spirituality?  It seems like you can teach yourself the Buddhist beliefs, without have to go to a temple or practice with others?  Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I don't know much.

for the people just getting started into Buddhism or want to learn more you really should go to your local temple

no book or material on the internet compares to actually going to a temple

your questions can be better answered by the monks than people on Niketalk who got into Buddhism by reading a simple book

8 year old girl gets raped.

what my parents and monks taught me that whatever you did in your pass life reflects back to your karma/omens, same goes for the present/future. So if u was a douchbag in your pass life, your new life will take that burden and you have to make the best best of things. No question ask... IDK WHY
smh.gif

As for the reincarnation stufff i dont know much, but what i do know is that karma and what your action show plays a big part of it. Some people can actually reincarnate into animals/incests.SMH I'm not perfect nor i am trying to be but in my eyes buddhism is based on choices right or wrong. Ying and Yang it a balance of the two.

I have been looking into this myself lately as well. I guess I am wondering "how to start" for lack of a better phrase. I have been looking online at Buddhist temples that offer meditation classes and things like that from beginners to advance. I figure I should just go to a temple and talk to someone over there. It says all classes are free, but a donation is reccomended, anyone know what a reasonable ammount is? I live in Houston, so anyone else from here that practices?

you don't need to go anywhere to meditate.  you don't even have to be sitting on a mat with your legs crossed reapeating mantra. 

meditation simply means to be aware/present of your thoughts, speech and actions.  i highly recommend reading "the miracle of mindfulness"  it is a great book for anyone interested in learning the art of meditation.

Thanks for the info, I will check out that book.  So you can just practice all of this stuff at your home and still get the same sense of spirituality?  It seems like you can teach yourself the Buddhist beliefs, without have to go to a temple or practice with others?  Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I don't know much.
yes, the teachings can be practiced in your everyday life, no need for a temple.  going to a temple might be encouraging, knowing there are others striving for the same goal, but it is not necessary. 

i learned the basics from my philosophy teacher in college, i wasn't looking for it, instead i was drawn to it like a magnet.  and that's when i took a true interest in learning about the spiritual life.  maybe you can search for speakers in your area... colleges, bookstores, libraries?

i also think that expressing ourselves through creative pursuits is a big part of what it is to be a human being.  art is all about what goes on inside yourself.  instead of living a sedated lifestyle through watching sports/tv/video games/etc.. take up activities that make you think and be creative... writing, drawing, painting, whatever... it helps in reaching higher states of spirituality. 

and there are no dumb questions.

Originally Posted by nick0lis

i like the whole concept of buddhism except for the reincarnation thing
it is metaphor for reincarnating in the PRESENT life.  meaning changing the chemistry of your thoughts, speech and actions into a positive force.
wow...

thanks for clearing that up

Originally Posted by Yen2dro3

Originally Posted by ChrisPhenephom

Originally Posted by Yen2dro3

You believe in a old fat Asian guy? are you Asian?
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

siddartha wasnt a asian guy tho. 

I am a Theravada Buddhist myself.

I advise those in this thread to read up on it and see if its for you.
Ignorance at it's finest. "Buddha" simply means "the awakened one", which you obviously are not. 

went to buddhist temples as a freshman. its a great lifestyle. not so much a religion. just a great way of thinking. you can admire both Buddhism and follow your own religion. the basic principles apply. just don't let outside influences change your mind one way or another.

The fact that there is bickering in this thread shows the state most of you are all in.

Buddhism isn't a religion. It's a bunch of principles one should live by if one is serious about pursuing enlightenment.

You guys ***** and complain a lot on here. Where does that get you? You fight with each other over trivial reasons preventing most of you from breaking free of that karmic cycle you're in.

Karma isn't so black and white and it isn't as simple as some of you think. Karma involves your spirit, the decisions you have made in past lives, and the decisions you need to make in your current and future lives in order to proceed on with your destined path.

An unfortunate action may occur perhaps for retribution of an ill made in a past life, or perhaps that traumatic event will be the catalyst to forcing that unfortunate person to take the actions necessary to pursue their purpose.

Conversely, because of free will an unfortunate incident could simply be the result of one abusing his power and privilege. Karma would balance things out in this instance in due time.

We're all here and are tested with patterns to gauge our actions and awareness. Karma fits in there as well. How we react to those patterns and whether we make the same mistakes will decide whether we proceed onward with our journey or need to return to correct our ills.

Fact of the matter is Buddhism teaches love and the notion of looking inward for validation and serenity. Don't let yourself be caught in the distractions of the modern world and automatically throw shade on which you don't understand. Take a breath and clear your mind. Meditate. Do things with your fellow humans and the Earth around you in mind.

Live positively.

Last edited:
Dawg check the date of those post lol

Practicing Buddhist myself through books and meditation. Probably should make the effort to stop by a temple and immerse myself in it more.

Back
Top Bottom