FAT Shaming

This is actually insane. I wish there was context (empty plane, video filming, etc.). I know the takeoff video was a joke but airlines actually do sometimes ask folks to move on non-full planes for more equal weight distribution. That would probably come into play here if the plane isn't sold out but more so for passenger comfort :lol:

Airlines have a lot of underhanded pricing strategies but charging based on weight will not be one of them (in reality this is a width discussion too but I digress).

This is actually insane. I wish there was context (empty plane, video filming, etc.). I know the takeoff video was a joke but airlines actually do sometimes ask folks to move on non-full planes for more equal weight distribution. That would probably come into play here if the plane isn't sold out but more so for passenger comfort :lol:

Airlines have a lot of underhanded pricing strategies but charging based on weight will not be one of them (in reality this is a width discussion too but I digress).

Only a matter of time.

Greyhound and Amtrak are watching closely.

Smaller seats = More seats per plane, train, or bus = lower cost per seat

Larger seats = Fewer seats per plane, train, or bus = higher cost per seat

It all comes down to revenue.

Are smaller folks willing to pay more to travel so that larger folks can be comfortable?

or

Are larger folks willing to pay more to travel so that larger folks can be comfortable?

Either way, "Pay like you weigh" is taking on a whole new meaning.

Buying one seat with 50% off the adjacent seat seems to be a workable compromise for the industry and larger customers...at least in my mind.

Last edited:
and the opposite

giphy (2).gif

Only a matter of time.

Greyhound and Amtrak are watching closely.

Smaller seats = More seats per plane, train, or bus = lower cost per seat

Larger seats = Fewer seats per plane, train, or bus = higher cost per seat

It all comes down to revenue.

Are smaller folks willing to pay more to travel so that larger folks can be comfortable?

or

Are larger folks willing to pay more to travel so that larger folks can be comfortable?

Either way, "Pay like you weigh" is taking on a whole new meaning.

Buying one seat with 50% off the adjacent seat seems to be a workable compromise for the industry and larger customers...at least in my mind.

You have the right idea econmically but "smaller" seats isn't necessarily the answer. I guess it starts with what you mean by "smaller" because this seems to be a seat width issue with overweight folks spilling into the next seat.

The seat width is going to be limited by your cabin and aisle width(s) so if you made wider seats for overweight folks they would have to be adjacent to more narrow seats which doesn't benefit anyone except for the passenger in the overweight seat.

The other factor would be the length of your fuselage which is generally how airlines have added more seats while also getting the cost per seat down. They get cheaper/lower quality seats AND they decrease the pitch (distance forward and aft) of each row so they can pack more seats/people in.

Airlines have already started to address folks paying for comfort by adding additional zones to their flights. So it's not longer just first class and the rest. You have first/business class, main, basic economy, economy plus, etc. depending on your airline. Adding a "Fat Tax" would only add fuel to the fire.

There is also no guarantee that folks would be honest about it if the Fat Seats are more expensive. IMO the first airline to implement this would get crushed but I am sure there are folks looking into it or at the very least some sort of alternatives.

You have the right idea econmically but "smaller" seats isn't necessarily the answer. I guess it starts with what you mean by "smaller" because this seems to be a seat width issue with overweight folks spilling into the next seat.

In 1985 none of the main four US carriers offered a seat less than 19 inches wide.

Since the 1990s, the width of most airplane seats shrunk from 18 inches to 16 inches, and the distance between seat backs decreased from 35 inches to sometimes less than 28.

Smaller seats = More seats per plane, train, or bus = lower cost per seat:

1689445350600.png

I'm old enough to remember flying on Pan Am in the 80s as a kid.

Today's flying experience is more like a Greyhound bus with wings by comparison.

are fat people clothes more expensive?
cause those waistlines are like double average people

F it. Why stop there. Bigger you are the more your health insurance costs
as a man who is fit and been fit his whole life, i don't wish fatties had more expensive health insurance. i just wish my insurance was cheaper. like there should be discount incentives or something

Standard American food is quite literally poisonous. Many of the additives in our food are disruptive to gut health, endocrine/hormonal system, cause inflammation, and decrease nutrition availability.

I have in the last year majority cooked my own meals, eliminated seed oils, and as much as possible don’t eat foods with additives of any kind. This basically rules out all restaurant food (unless I’m cheating for a friends bday or something) and most products at the grocery store. I feel much lighter, sharper, energetic and lost about 25 pounds from reducing inflammation.

Back
Top Bottom