Feeling behind in life

Wassup guys,

Im 21 and in university. During covid I really struggled and fell behind heavily in my third year courses.

Im now back in person and feeling more motivated than ever. Waking up at 6am because my commute is 2 hours to campus. Completing my fourth year classes in mt 5th year but planning on doing a 6th to finish off a couple classes for my minor.

The thing is, many of my classmates are graduated and I genuinely feel very behind. Like ive been wasting my time the last 2 years.

Im studying mechanical engineering with a minor in maths.

Have you guys ever felt behind or frustrated because you didn’t maximize your time?

You are right on track king. What's the rush? 6 years at uni is nothing, get that degree and LEARN. I couldn't get a mechanical engineering degree in 20 years :lol:. Keep your head up champ

2 hr commute?

you cant find a room to live closer to campus during the semester?

btw, most college students dont graduate within 4 years... you'll be alright

2 hr commute?

you cant find a room to live closer to campus during the semester?

btw, most college students dont graduate within 4 years... you'll be alright
Living with my parents and siblings. The commute is worth being able to help the family. The school isnt far, its like 20 mins by car but the transit sustem sucks.

wow-mr-krabs.gif

Wassup guys,

Im 21 and in university. During covid I really struggled and fell behind heavily in my third year courses.

Im now back in person and feeling more motivated than ever. Waking up at 6am because my commute is 2 hours to campus. Completing my fourth year classes in mt 5th year but planning on doing a 6th to finish off a couple classes for my minor.

The thing is, many of my classmates are graduated and I genuinely feel very behind. Like ive been wasting my time the last 2 years.

Have you guys ever felt behind or frustrated because you didn’t maximize your time?

21? You are nowhere near, NOWHERE NEAR “behind” in life. Sounds like you have a ton on your plate, but you’re doing just fine. Better then like 99% of the general population.

Please forgive me, I’m not trying to stereotype you in any way, but do you happen to be Asian, or do you have pressure coming from parents who are Asian? I only ask because in my experience in school growing up, my peers with Asian parents had immense pressure coming from their parents. Unrealistic pressure because they hadn’t won the Pulitzer Prize by 19.

Don’t compare your progress to the progress of others. Set goals for YOU and what you want to achieve. Have a personal timeline, but don’t fret if you miss those timelines, we all have setbacks in life. You make the rules.

“For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” -Benjamin Button

NT is full of dads & uncles now :rofl:

I was wondering how in touch NT is with gen Z. How many 22 & under account holders, active or not, I thought.

Post 2000 is Gen Z, right? What comes after?

Yea I stopped reading at 21 too btw. Stay & slay in school for a couple more yrs if you can.

21? You are nowhere near, NOWHERE NEAR “behind” in life. Sounds like you have a ton on your plate, but you’re doing just fine. Better then like 99% of the general population.

Please forgive me, I’m not trying to stereotype you in any way, but do you happen to be Asian, or do you have pressure coming from parents who are Asian? I only ask because in my experience in school growing up, my peers with Asian parents had immense pressure coming from their parents. Unrealistic pressure because they hadn’t won the Pulitzer Prize by 19.

Don’t compare your progress to the progress of others. Set goals for YOU and what you want to achieve. Have a personal timeline, but don’t fret if you miss those timelines, we all have setbacks in life. You make the rules.

“For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” -Benjamin Button

Dawg is 21 he dont know who da hell Benjamin Button is. Give him a Justin Bieber quote or sumn.

falling behind in what? life is not a race.
people that are making fun of your age should show you that you need to relax and just do your own thing. you are fine right now.
you are about to be in your golden years as a single young man. enjoy it

Lol, Engineering degree is a 5 year degree. So going on beyond that is not a big deal.

It's also the hardest undergrad to attain. You're doing fine. School is supposed to kick your butt. If you're doing the best you can and you're struggling with you academics, you are getting your money's worth.

You're fine H HoodieSZN . A lot of you classmates have graduated, but a lot of them are still taking classes just like you. Its not uncommon for someone who's studying engineering/compsci to take additional semesters. If they're doing a different type of major, then I wouldn't be concerned. That recent graduate engineering salary will catch you up to them quickly.

Wassup guys,

Comparison is the thief of joy. Stop looking at social media, stop comparing yourself to others. Set small goals that you can accomplish that will help you reach your long term goals.

This is a Marathon not a sprint.

Behind compared to what? How accomplished do you assume other 21 year olds are? Life hasn't even begun yet for you, you're not even old enough to be considered young in adult terms. Don't overthink this, if you were a couch potato that did nothing but beat your meat and play videogames all day at 21, you still wouldn't be behind. See you at the "quarter life" crisis.

That feeling never goes away as your goals change. What you have to learn is to fall in love with the process. Focus on the feelings you get out of the small daily wins. A lot of small steps add up to great achievements. These “feelings” need to become temporary because all that matters is that you continue to take day by day action.

It’s important you learn this because as you get older you’ll run into stuff that’s a lot harder to deal with that is out of your control (eg a parent getting sick/dying, etc). You need to realize there’s no one path of speed to life.

Back
Top Bottom