Filipino Culture Thread

I will never get when dudes back home just sit in a corner “tambay” and drink all day. Putting ice in the beer and sipping tanduay and getting the bbq and balut lmao

Actually, tambays have dwindled ever since Du30 took office. Police and "barangay tanods" (tanods are similar to nightwatchers in a sense but more engaging like police officers) surprisingly roam around frequently than before but for other reasons that oftentimes end up in deaths. That's why parties or drinking sessions there are held either indoors or at bars.

Informal settlements are main targets of these law enforcements because of alleged shady activities when in fact most of the time these people are just celebrating with F&F or just happen to be with a large group of people.

Apologies. I hate PH politics. Let's get back to food and other FUN Pinoy things.

My current favorite is Sinuglaw.

Also, there's a bunch of YouTube videos where other ethnicities love Dinuguan until they learn what it's made of :lol:

And crispy pata is probably the number #1 artery clogging food in the world. You can feel the fat running through your veins. :lol:

Last edited:
This thread should be renamed to "Pinoy Grub Life." All these suggestions/recommendations making me feel hungry :lol:

There's a Portuguese food place in my city that makes Lechon Kawali but I always forget about asking what it's called. I just do the "turo-turo" gesture and they get me. Plus, other Pinoys are frequent customers because of it. Just by looking at it, you feel a stroke about to take place and hear God's voice picking you up for heaven.

I'm due for a Crispy Pata with either UFC "catsup" or Mang Tomas.

Reactions: Ube
A Classic to us Filipino-Americans

dante_basco_joy_bisco_the_debut_001.jpg
Mannn if my filipino as$ didnt know any better, this would be The Debut, and im finna tear up!! :emoji_cry:

Last edited:
cant fault you if you were born outside the philippines

oh and bisaya>tagalog

Funny thing, Tagalog speakers don't givr a damb. It's the visayan speakers who have a chip on their shoulders.

Probably because historically, manila has been the center of everything.

This is kind of a toss-up as far ancestry and last names go. From what I've learned in school there, it's our version of a melting pot. I can't rule out the thought of last names as basis for taxes and govt purposes but considering how indigenous the system were in rural areas, it may probably be the case but not ENTIRELY dedicated to it.

For ancestry, the Spaniards, Chinese, Japanese, etc. had a lot to do with our Pinoy culture. From language, food, traditions to names. it's just a lot of influence from these colonizers, but primarily from the Spaniards. These foreign cultures may have hooked up with the Mayan settlers and those actions could have invoked a sense of melting pot.

Don't @ me or anything haha, but a plausible truth that my Filipino-Chinese friends and a bunch of grown ups have told me that it was actually the Chinese descendants that had to adhere to Spanish customs. To make last names long and sound "Spanish," Chinese migrants had to combine Chinese last names.

Ex: Cojuangco -> Ko-Wang-Ko

Rich and notable families like the Ayala family (they own most of Makati and BGC Fort) lived in Cebu when they started then moved to Manila. Cebu is where Magellan first landed ala-Columbus. He got washed by Lapu-Lapu though :lol:

The chinese filipino families had to change /purchase new surnames to make it sound more local or less chinese. Thus, they can get citizenship/buy land/ do commerce.

As someone else said about Filipinos being competitive with each other and the **** that don’t matter is hella true. My mom and aunt don’t get along they’ve always had family beef. And they always try to out do each other its hilarious and sad at the same time. They’d don’t talk to each other as my mom lives in north county SD and my aunt lives in Chula Vista, but they be on on Facebook trying to sneak diss each other :lol: they try to flex their LV purses and always showing off the Beamer. It is so annoying. They are defiantly the materialistic type of filpinos smh.

Anybody else not understand or speak tagalog? Or am I the only one :lol:

As long as you understand it, that's totally fine. You're not less of a Filipino than those born there, my brother!

I speak Tagalog, and understand Ilocano (parents) and Bisaya (relatives and helpers). People around here might as well not talk s*** cuz they think they're slick switching dialects

Back
Top Bottom