Filipino Culture Thread

Ahhh, okay.

Are they really the best players in the country? Why isn't Jordan Clarkson there? jk.

Nah it means elegance, awesomeness something like that. For the most part they are but club teams in PBA usually only allow 1 player per team so its not the best talent wise.

Ahhh, okay.

Are they really the best players in the country? Why isn't Jordan Clarkson there? jk.

Sadly yes lol. The last Gilas game I saw two or three years ago they fell behind in the 2nd half and just started chucking up bad 3s :smh:

JC got hosed by new FIBA citizenship rules lol everyone wants him there

Nah it means elegance, awesomeness something like that. For the most part they are but club teams in PBA usually only allow 1 player per team so its not the best talent wise.

Ah I knew it was a kinda abstract term with no literal translation thanks for the clarification

That PBA rule doesn't make sense. Why would you not want the best players available for the National team?!

That PBA rule doesn't make sense. Why would you not want the best players available for the National team?!

Politics. PBA teams are company sponsored so owners are business rivals. This team still has the best player tho 4 time MVP big man Fajardo whos an NBA talent had he been athletic and knew how to defend PNR.

Its either Clarkson or Blatche on that naturalized spot as per FIBA rules so theres that.

I don't like playing with other Filipinos unless it's people I know.

When I was younger we was playing in an open league. We were teenagers, young adults playing against a much older team.

My best friend who was 15 at the time threw the ball at someone to save the ball from going out of bounds. The other guy, who was a grown man took offense to that, elbowed him and knocked him out.

We called the cops on the guy and the ppl who was running the league wouldn't give the guy up to the cops lol

I don't like playing with other Filipinos unless it's people I know.

When I was younger we was playing in an open league. We were teenagers, young adults playing against a much older team.

My best friend who was 15 at the time threw the ball at someone to save the ball from going out of bounds. The other guy, who was a grown man took offense to that, elbowed him and knocked him out.

We called the cops on the guy and the ppl who was running the league wouldn't give the guy up to the cops lol

that's wild. :smh:

Old Filipino dudes with the bottom of their t-shirts resting over their beer guts are the dirtiest ones :lol:

The rule of thumb is the older they are, the dirtier they will play

So I stuck to ppl I know or at least ppl my age

Funny saying that. Cuz I'm getting to the age the man who knocked out my friend was at the time.

When I was visiting family in the PI I convinced my Tito to bring me to the Barangay court so I could play. He was hesitant to take me and gave me this whole speech about how they play different and it's not America and all that. I played with a bunch of middle aged men that kept trying to take me down and elbow me on box outs. The thing is I probably had like 50-75 lbs. on all of them so they weren't moving ish :lol:. I actually ended up knocking a few of them down because they jumped into me in the air.

One reason why I don't want to play in a Filipino Rec League.

Well the one I did find in SoCal, I can't even play in because I'm not under 5'9 :smh:

I'm saying. My cousin's and I signed up for a league a few years back. Some teams were BRUTAL. I'm like we PAID to play. We are not going for a professional championship or State/National titles. We are playing this for the love of the game. I spoke to a ref about a non-foul call, and he said he didn't see it. I then asked him if he didn't notice the blood coming from my mouth and on my jersey which he stopped play over. he shrugged and said "next time." LOL

Meh, you can ususally tell the vibe of these dudes that are gonna do some sketch ish during pick up. I just stay alert and warn my team what I see. I gotta go to work and provide for my family man. LOL.

Never heard of a league having a max height requirement.

My brother and friends played in a Filipino league for a few years. I didn’t see much physical or dirty play. One of the games I didn’t go to, I heard 2 players got into a fight and one of their dads joined in and started fighting too. :lol:

Yeah, playing in the PI with my cousin's classmates was an experience. Trash talking and elbows being thrown freely. Ridiculous.

And regarding the Tito Boy's who play dirty. Yeah, I learned that the hard way with my friend's dad. Dude drove down the lane with a flying knee to whoever attempted to blog his layup.

Added that to my repertoire lmao

My brother and friends played in a Filipino league for a few years. I didn’t see much physical or dirty play. One of the games I didn’t go to, I heard 2 players got into a fight and one of their dads joined in and started fighting too. :lol:
Yeah, I was lightweight offended of the height rule. The one time I can get some run with other Filipinos, I can't lol.

A lot of these Asian rec leagues have height restrictions like only one guy over 6’ 2” or something

I just found out that Philippines is cohosting 2023 FIBA World Cup

Automatic qualifier baby!

19660908-99CA-458E-9137-15A5C13325E2.jpeg
No Gilas jerseys when I went to PI in Dec/May...those things are hard to get

Did cop this tho

You must be pretty good?

You were probably playing in the open division

Rule of thumb. Open division. No height requirement. And that's where all the good players usually are. The better you are, the younger you are, the less dirty you're likely to play lol

I usually played in 5'10 and under division. It's hard for me to play in open as I'm only 5'4 but when I was playing my best basketball I did some open. I was always quick and at my physical best basketball shape I jumped high enough to clap on the backboard when Iaid up

I haven't been around filipino basketball for some time now but last time I've been they have looked more relaxed about requirements. Taller players and I even see black and white players too, claiming to be mixed with a filipino parent lmao

Last edited:
Lol an acquaintance of mine just became a police officer

My first thought was 'wow. First time I've heard of a filipino wanting to be a cop' lol

My FIlipino friend is a cop in NYC. Another is applying to be a state trooper. A couple of others applied to the academy. I’d only be a cop in Asia and try to be a super cop like Jackie Chang.

Im from the East Coast but growing up Ive always heard of tales from older folks that Daly City was pinoy central in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom