Filipino Culture Thread

what the...didnt know this thread existed either :lol:

while i’m here, i guess i’ll contribute to the brethren....here’s some bagnet (deep fried pork belly) kare kare from my homie’s fam’s restaurant here in chicago, called kawayan.

lawd its so fire. :pimp:
3B9F030D-4870-48FD-87F7-D241A2D77296.jpeg

what the...didnt know this thread existed either :lol:

while i’m here, i guess i’ll contribute....here’s some bagnet (deep fried pork belly) kare kare from my homie’s fam’s restaurant here in chicago, called kawayan.

lawd its so fire. :pimp:
3B9F030D-4870-48FD-87F7-D241A2D77296.jpeg
adds to list of places to go when visit da CHI one day

So back in '01 they had a special screening of The Debut at Camera 3 in San Jose. My wife (GF then) and I went. They had the producers there talking about the movie before the show. They also sold some shirts that the wife and I bought. To help promote them.

Fast forward to now. We had the two older kids watch it last week. They are 13 and 11.
To me, that movie did not age well. From how they dressed, (I know... it was the era) To the corny jokes/lines.... lots of foul language for the kids.

Or maybe i'm just getting old.....

So back in '01 they had a special screening of The Debut at Camera 3 in San Jose. My wife (GF then) and I went. They had the producers there talking about the movie before the show. They also sold some shirts that the wife and I bought. To help promote them.

Fast forward to now. We had the two older kids watch it last week. They are 13 and 11.
To me, that movie did not age well. From how they dressed, (I know... it was the era) To the corny jokes/lines.... lots of foul language for the kids.

i was on the street team and helped out at the screenings when they toured and came to chicago. shirts were diff colors and said FILIPINO-AMERICAN, right?

me and the homies still quote the corny lines to this day :lol:

Reactions: Ube
Man... now I have to dig up those shirts. I just remember them being black with the title in red font. And other writing on the shirt.

Whats funny was the barrel scene. The kids found that funny..... So I had to break out the real deal barrel guy. :rofl:

Last edited:
  • Haha
I figured it was supposed to be corny like super exaggerated to get the message across?

Y'all gonna make me break out the DVD tomorrow lol

• Fire
Yo who’s the oldest Filipino Nter in here and are you still into shoes or not? :lol:

Still, and always will be into shoes. (Although not as much as before.)
It's generational for me. Every one that knows me knows that I am/was always into shoes.
I trace it back to my parents, and then back to my Lolo. (Maybe even further....)
Both my parents are from Marikina.
Shoe capital of the PI! They even have a shoe museum there. I seen it!
My Lolo (moms side) had a shoe factory. My mom told me that she had custom made shoes ever since she was small. Until they left for the US.

The love for shoes is in my bloodline! (At least that's what I tell folks.... )
:rofl:

No, the movie is a cringe. It didn't age well at all.

It was cool to see and meeting Joy Bisco. But never found her attractive.

Fun fact, Basco bros have been in numerous shows and movies. I remember noticing Darion portraying Larry Itliong in the Cesar Chavez film.

Nah u good. Feel like Debut was a more west coast ting

Would be cool to see more Filipinos represented on film.

I found it odd seeing Kris Aquino in Crazy Rich Asians, but whatever lol
And the other dude from Superstore

When my wife and I saw Ceazy Rich Asians a bunch of the cast crashed the end of our film and thanked us for coming out opening night

Always wanted to either make a screenplay or take up cinematography

I love filming with my Sony more than shooting pics

Back
Top Bottom