Filipino Culture Thread

A butiki is a brown-colored lizard which situates itself on ceilings, and often associated with “good luck” in Pinoy folklore. More your homes have it, the more “luck” you have… or just a bad case of infestation :rofl:

A tuko is a gecko and are usually nocturnal, especially after a rainfall. Pretty much all over the place but are mad elusive and just as annoying as crickets at night.

Last edited:

so i never learned ilocano growing up, so i don't understand anything (i only caught the the ukinam). can someone translate this video, please? :lol: :blush:

A butiki is a brown-colored lizard which situates itself on ceilings, and often associated with “good luck” in Pinoy folklore. More your homes have it, the more “luck” you have… or just a bad case of infestation :rofl:

A tuko is a gecko and are usually nocturnal, especially after a rainfall. Pretty much all over the place but are mad elusive and just as annoying as crickets at night.

lol ok this makes more sense because these things were just crawling all over the top edge of the walls/along the ceilings at the house. that and the spanish style front veranda are the only things I remember from that place lol

lol ok this makes more sense because these things were just crawling all over the top edge of the walls/along the ceilings at the house. that and the spanish style front veranda are the only things I remember from that place lol

Lmao the verandas :rofl:. Sign of wealth:pimp:

Very unfortunate.

My bro living in the Philippines actually supports BBM, and his FB timeline is littered with filthy propaganda according to his sons who I communicate with on a daily.

I won’t be surprised if BBM’s elected since lots of folks there are tooo misogynistic to even consider Leni’s competence. Prolly gon cheat his way into power, too.

I hope Leni supporters turn out.

278308062_10216651481838018_4703809049117279538_n.jpg

here yall go. education and owing billions of pesos stick out

278308062_10216651481838018_4703809049117279538_n.jpg

here yall go. education and owing billions of pesos stick out

Bruh there was a photo I saw on the Philippines subreddit of a Bvlgari receipt belonging to Imelda BUT it was under a different name. Sickening ****.

BTW, “Kingmaker” is a good documentary of yall wanna learn about the Marcoses. Imelda carrying CASH and handing em out to less fortunate Pinoys is such a typical thing with that family. Should be available on Amazon Prime.

my parents and i didn't receive anything either yet :frown: the deadline is approaching too

pops and my uncles and aunts are BBM supporters, so family gatherings are an awkward time nowadays :lol:

I was living in the Philippines for school and work when Du30 had this weird surge of popularity then eventually winning it all. Then after a year under his term with all that propaganda BS constantly just circulating all over forms of media, his obscene behavior, constant attack on journalists, and his “war on drugs,” I just felt It was time to finally move back to the States.

Quite interesting to learn about how Pinoys show their support for Du30 without even living in the Philippines for so long. Must be nice living here with high paying jobs and ****. Got a boomer enraged after pointing out the difficulties and inhumane practices Du30 has done for Pinoys, and now THAT same dude got the audacity to show his support for BBM.

Just for the sake of being a contrarian.

BTW, “Kingmaker” is a good documentary of yall wanna learn about the Marcoses. Imelda carrying CASH and handing em out to less fortunate Pinoys is such a typical thing with that family. Should be available on Amazon Prime.

That strategy has seemed to work out for them in the long-run, and that isn't good at all.

Look at how many Filipinos in our parents' generation, whom grew up with poor backgrounds, were able to being manipulated by the Marcos Family Dynasty with their strategy of "pandering to the poor, less fortunate Pinoys" while also secretly screwing them over in the background with other policies..........making it appear that they've always got the back of the poor folk when they're really just fueling their problems.

Duerte knew that blueprint and ran with it and won. Now this new generation of Marcos is doing the same, and it's hard to beat...........when they're actually SHOWING something to the poor (and high voting) demographic that is too convincing to make them not vote for that.

Literally the older Filipino's generation has been so brainwashed from the Marcoses (and Duerte's) strategy of DISPLAYING SUPPORT BY TO THE POOR, that whenever I have a conversation with my mom of actual factually proven things that they have done wrong with actual evidence..................
the conclusion by your older parent/grandparent will always be "well, he still did something for my poor village/family that helped us, SO I COULD CARE LESS WHO GOT HURT BY THIS"

And that is why the Philippines is the way it is to do this day (with the USA beginning to follow the same idiot mindset with the country's split polarizing political preferences)

Last edited:
I was living in the Philippines for school and work when Du30 had this weird surge of popularity then eventually winning it all. Then after a year under his term with all that propaganda BS constantly just circulating all over forms of media, his obscene behavior, constant attack on journalists, and his “war on drugs,” I just felt It was time to finally move back to the States.

Quite interesting to learn about how Pinoys show their support for Du30 without even living in the Philippines for so long. Must be nice living here with high paying jobs and ****. Got a boomer enraged after pointing out the difficulties and inhumane practices Du30 has done for Pinoys, and now THAT same dude got the audacity to show his support for BBM.

Just for the sake of being a contrarian.

I was there for school too, his popularity blew up with all his strongman BS nonsense along with the anti-yellow movement. Then he got elected and surprise surprise he’s corrupt and full of shhhh. And soft on china.

BBM got the same thing going. Plus a ton of revisionist history from people that weren’t even close to being alive during Martial Law.

Then when the “war on drugs” got random innocent folks gunned down in the streets (mostly in the slums) then it was like “leopards ate my face”. You had these people shooting into parties and houses with people sleeping in the name of wAr oN dRugS :smh:

Rich folks ain’t have to worry about these things though….

Then when the “war on drugs” got random innocent folks gunned down in the streets (mostly in the slums) then it was like “leopards ate my face”. You had these people shooting into parties and houses with people sleeping in the name of wAr oN dRugS :smh:

Rich folks ain’t have to worry about these things though….

100% agree!

I have media friends from my batch who quit the field because of the impunity. Sad **** because we all came from a passionate and driven class during the time of PNoy, and we just wanted to cover A LOT OF national events but when Du30 won, we were cautiously optimistic but eventually became tired of the BS.

The cops showed up for work like hunters DYING to go out in the streets to kill, and the media always tagged along like it’s an episode of Cops but the only difference was **** was real.

100% agree!

I have media friends from my batch who quit the field because of the impunity. Sad **** because we all came from a passionate and driven class during the time of PNoy, and we just wanted to cover A LOT OF national events but when Du30 won, we were cautiously optimistic but eventually became tired of the BS.

The cops showed up for work like hunters DYING to go out in the streets to kill, and the media always tagged along like it’s an episode of Cops but the only difference was **** was real.

Can’t say I blame them after the anti-“cyber crime” law passed and it was open season on them

Back
Top Bottom