Film school vol. new direction

i have had some serious thought about going in to film school. i was wondering if anybody on NT has been to it or knows anything about it. i really want a change in my career path and been wondering if this is worth the change. 

do you already have a degree? Are you interested in just film or TV also? Do you want to direct, edit, produce?

Originally Posted by CryingFreemancoa

i have had some serious thought about going in to film school. i was wondering if anybody on NT has been to it or knows anything about it. i really want a change in my career path and been wondering if this is worth the change. 

Went to film school in a different country.   
I got my degree in film producing (you don't reeaaaaally need to get a degree) and  started a production company with a friend from college. 

We're still a small company (we're more based in service work...right now we're working on media work and EPK work for a UK series), but I've decided to shift my attention into a business that's more stable and profitable. (i'm getting my masters in construction economics and management and going into prop development). 

A few of my friends went to NYFA (one is still there now).  

The few who I know who went there for Acting are doing 
eyes.gif
 the one who is currently there is basically a qualified lawyer and wants to go into film law.  Thus she decided it's a bright idea to get the film background. 

All in all...it really depends...what do you want to do in film?

Nah i am currently in school on trying to get a business administration degree, but it seem like a waste to me. like you eiddyfouw i want to start my own production company and eventually direct and make my own movies along with others. i also have been screenwriting ,but that's still in its early stages. i am actually considering NYFA but there tuition is
eek.gif
. so I'm looking at alternatives.

Originally Posted by CryingFreemancoa

Nah i am currently in school on trying to get a business administration degree, but it seem like a waste to me. like you eiddyfouw i want to start my own production company and eventually direct and make my own movies along with others. i also have been screenwriting ,but that's still in its early stages. i am actually considering NYFA but there tuition is
eek.gif
. so I'm looking at alternatives.

If you want to start your own production company it might not be the worst thing to stay in business administration. Film school will offer you the contacts more than anything else. You'd be amazed at the amount of people that work in the industry that never went to film school. But if your not too far into business school and this is really what you want to do then go for the film degree. Just know that if a career in film doesn't work there aren't a ton of options with that degree.

I went to a SUNY school for film. And since I've graduated I don't know anyone aside from myself that is working or has really worked in the film/tv industry. I have friends that went to NYFA and none of them are doing a thing right now. It really depends on you. If this is your real passion, and your going to work your %#@ off with side projects and making contacts, your going to be fine, film degree or not.

I majored in Radio, TV, Film at TCU, work in sports radio. That being said, I am thinking of going back to school. Working in entertainment industry can be fun, but not sure its what I want to do for the rest of my life. I know that has nothing to do with film, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

First of all I appreciate all the info you cats ate laying down. It has definitely helped. I have more or less one and a half years of school left, but I feel I should focus on my true career goal in film. I was thinking about trying one of those internships that the dude from the acting agency posted awhile back. Of course I'm not sure that will get me in my true direction. But hey its a start

I'm graduating in about a semester in RTVF(Radio, Television, & Film). It's a Bachelor of Arts Degree from SJSU. I've already interned at an SF New station(CBS Channel 5) working in the Creative Services Department, but eventually want to get into producing special segments for the station.

Look at film school in New York, I saw like 12-18 month programs for about $6,000 depending on what you want to do.

It's certainly a dedication and something you really want to pursue, be aware that you will probably start off dead broke, and getting your foot into the "Hollywood" world is very tough if you don't know anyone.

I have a couple friends who are in the movie business and all that and it's certainly tough. So make sure it's something you are really ready for.

I'd suggest finishing that Business degree first, then do the film school stuff.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Look at film school in New York, I saw like 12-18 month programs for about $6,000 depending on what you want to do.

It's certainly a dedication and something you really want to pursue, be aware that you will probably start off dead broke, and getting your foot into the "Hollywood" world is very tough if you don't know anyone.

I have a couple friends who are in the movie business and all that and it's certainly tough. So make sure it's something you are really ready for.

I'd suggest finishing that Business degree first, then do the film school stuff.
yeah finishing my business degree is probably my best choice, just trying to see if their are other options out their

Funny this comes up. Getting my accounting degree right now and took some film classes and got me interested. But like everyone says its a do or die business.

Back
Top Bottom