First Apartment Post-College

Been looking at apartments and it'd been a struggle getting friends together to live with. Some are in relationships, took extra semesters of undergrad or for their masters, already have plans, moved away for their jobs, or recently graduated and are trying to stay at home for a while and save money first.

Since I wasn't getting anywhere with my friends, I talked to my coworker about it after learning he was looking for a place and he mentioned a friend had just started talking to him about getting a place too and thought it'd be a good idea if the three of us lived together. Three weeks ago we started looking at places till he realized he forgot to put in his 30-day notice and was going to have to stay another month (till the end of November). We haven't really started the search back up again since then, but probably will sometime later this week/next week.

Anyways, flash-forward to now and in the past week I've had two friends tell me they'd be potentially interested in living together sometime earlyish next year since they're graduating this December. I say "earlyish" because neither of them have a job lined up to start upon graduation, but they are both interviewing places right now, so it'd depend on when they land a job. Knowing their education/experience I don't imagine it'd take that long.

I'm also having second thoughts about living with my coworker and his friend, though they both seem fine and I have balled some with my coworker outside of work. I guess I like the idea of living with friend(s) who are a known quantity over two people I don't know as well. On top of that, I'd like to live with people who I could go out and do stuff with since there are lots of other recent college grads in the area we're looking to move to as well as nightlife. I've started to notice my coworker doesn't seem like that type of person. He'll skip or leave office happy hours early and I've lost track of the number of times he's told me he didn't really do anything over the weekend when my team talks about our weekends on Mondays.

I'm conflicted right now and if I'm going to try and live with either of those two friends (or any of my other friends who become potential options in the coming months), I'd better tell my coworker soon before we start the search up again. On one hand, I'd feel bad doing it and this is a sure thing I'd be giving up. But, on the other hand I also want to put myself in the best position to make the most of stepping into the "real world" and experiencing what the area has to offer.

What would you do in my situation? What were your post-college roommate and first apartment living experiences like?

Cliffs:
-Not having success getting friends together to live with
-Talk to coworker and he mentions his friend and says us three should get a place
-Checked out some places a few weeks ago
-Stopped searching temporarily when coworker realized he couldn't move out till a little later
-Had two friends tell me they'd potentially be interested in living together after they graduate this winter and get jobs
-Apartment search with coworker will probably start back up again this weekend or early next week
-Conflicted on what to do

Post-college I moved in with a longtime friend into a 2-bedroom. While it was nice to have a greater sense of freedom, my roommate was a total slob and brought along a laundry list of personal issues. Turned me off from roommates after that.

Been living in 1-bedrooms ever since with no regrets. The peace of mind is well worth the extra money.

U can't get a spot by Your self?

Moving in with people you don't really know that well has the possibility of all types of problems.

tbh moving in with people you know really well can have its own problems too.

at the end of the day, i think you should go with people that are more of a sure thing.

giphy.gif

U can't get a spot by Your self?

I could, but I like the idea of having someone to be able to hang and explore the area with on the fly. It helps on the cost some too. I am somewhat open to it though.

I'd wait till your friends actually have jobs before moving in with them.

Yeah we wouldn't do anything till they got jobs first, sorry if my post was a little confusing.

Put an AD on craigslist OP. Write exactly what you are looking for in a roommate :age, price range, rules you'd like them to follow, etc. They aren't your friends or your co-workers so you don't ruin a friendship and you don't have to see them at work AND home.

Just a suggestion.

Get a studio/1x1

If you’re a male, do not get a male roommate it’s a disaster waiting to happen. Either get a studio apartment, or, if you have a girlfriend. Get a place with her.

Me and my college homeboy were roommates and, it ruined our friendship.

I could, but I like the idea of having someone to be able to hang and explore the area with on the fly.

Yea that's going to get old.

First couple of weeks its gonna be all peechy....you and them chillin in the living room play in Madden ...roomates popping in and out of your room....room mate pizza night ...smoke some weed together ...gonna be like a sitcom almost.

After 2 and a half months all tree of y'all gonna have your door closed waiting for each other to leave so you can smoke then watch tv and eat in the living room by yourself.

I know NT is mainly introverts, but I'm still surprised at the number of "live alone" posts. :lol:

Most of the people that I know around my age live with roommates or at home still.

I know NT is mainly introverts, but I'm still surprised at the number of "live alone" posts. :lol:

Most of the people that I know around my age live with roommates or at home still.
I def recommend having a roommate.

The place I had after college with 3 of my boys was priceless. Partying EVERY weekend, work almost seemed secondary.

Downside- Of course our place was disgusting and myself and another being the only clean freaks we were in hell. Also, in the house I made the most (no humble brag my friends were broke) So I had the choice of driving places, purchase the alcohol or drink ****. Stuff like that.

Living with roommates is worth it if only for the fact that it makes you that much more appreciative when you do get that studio. Which is inevitable.

Yea that's going to get old.

First couple of weeks its gonna be all peechy....you and them chillin in the living room play in Madden ...roomates popping in and out of your room....room mate pizza night ...smoke some weed together ...gonna be like a sitcom almost.

After 2 and a half months all tree of y'all gonna have your door closed waiting for each other to leave so you can smoke then watch tv and eat in the living room by yourself.

All of this.

Living with people other than your family or significant other is just a mess waiting to happen, IMO. OP, you'll start to see that the littlest of things your roommate(s) do will annoy you to no end.

At this point, I would get a studio in a good spot in the city.

Save money, less stress dealing with roommates, and folks can still come over and chill.

Plus, you don't have to deal with roommates when you bring girls over. (That was annoying)

Your co-worker "forgetting" to put his 30 day notice in tells you all you need to know about him, he doesn't really want to live with you and didn't want to look like a bad guy saying no. When I broke up with my girl and moved back into my own spot I had this one friend that would crash at my apt when he was working in the area to do him a favor under the agreement he would be giving me $. He would let me use his EBT card since that was the only way he could compensate staying there but I had to dead that when I asked for $ and he tried to guilt trip me. We are still cool now but if he would've stayed longer it would've been a wrap.

Then I had this guy I worked with at my PT job and him and his gf kept trying to get me to get a place with them but I had to kill that idea before it even started. They couldn't get their own place because they had an eviction on their credit and when I told them they needed to pay it (still with no intention of moving in with them) they would spend $ on other things they didn't need. He bought him and her apple watches, a motorcycle that he had repoed after the 1st month and never even got to touch and a laundry list of reasons why I would never get a spot with them.

Long story short moving in with friends is a bad idea.

Don't get your own place and pay rent for a whole place by yourself, foolish choice get roommates to split your expenses. All the live alone ppl must not live in a major metro city, ppl in NYC, SF etc. usually have roommates even at 35-40 etc.

Don't get your own place and pay rent for a whole place by yourself, foolish choice get roommates to split your expenses. All the live alone ppl must not live in a major metro city, ppl in NYC, SF etc. usually have roommates even at 35-40 etc.
Glad you understand. I could pay for rent solo, but it's not cheap and I could save around $200-$500/month if I lived with one or two other people.

I never give advice to people but I can shed light on something

one thing you never do; "SHOW WEAKNESS"

My weakness is Noise & Lights...

One night I revealed this...

and the only reason why my past roommate is still alive is becuase I ain't trying to be locked up for the rest of my life over some petty petty

Back
Top Bottom