Flash on HP Slate...looks like a basic netbook... Updated w/ MS Courier Vids Pg. 3

12,749
70
Joined Apr 14, 2004
awesome? sure. widely adopted? not for a good while. i'll take a tablet with a full OS over an oversized iPod and it's apps any day.
 
2,688
31
Joined Nov 25, 2001
I have faith the HTML5 is the wave of the future so I believe the iPad will reign supreme.
 
681
161
Joined Jul 2, 2004
i honestly feel that the ipad will really be a make or break deal based on apps alone, even more so than the itouch was. at least the itouch was in essence a fully loaded ipod. the ipad is a product with no real precedent and nothing to build on. i feel if the apps can successfully virtualize a full desktop os then it'll be success with a few upgrades here n there (external connections, camera, etc. but we all know apple is saving that for the 4th gen ipad...

blah!
 
12,749
70
Joined Apr 14, 2004
Html5 could very well be the wave of the future. But we don't live in the future. And even if that future comes faster than expected, the slate will run html5. Meanwhile ipad has to rely on apps (that are starting to be highly regulated) and a future tech that will take a good time until its even considered a standard.

And really, an actual tablet with a full os doesn't impress you but the ipad does? El jobso really has you brainwashed or you're trying really hard to convince yourself to like this thing.
 
2,688
31
Joined Nov 25, 2001
It doesn't impress me because it brings the internet to us the same way we can get it on a laptop or netbook. If you honesty believe that the slate can give you the a full browser and have an awesome battery life you are mistake. Even windows is bow down and use more of an app form mate and cloud based applications. Seeing as how it is a Windows based device I have even less hope for its productivity in my life that an iPad. The way the iPhone has changed how go about my daily events is totally different from anything windows has brought to us.

For anyone looking to try HTML5 if you use Safari or Chrome you can become a beta tester on youtube and vimeo.
 
12,749
70
Joined Apr 14, 2004
lol you really are looking for a reason to hate this and love the ipad dont you?

so it doesn't impress you because it runs the internet the same that a netbook or laptop or desktop can. so what about this doesn't impress you? you like your internet dumbed down or something? this isn't suppose to be a netbook or laptop replacement. or is the ipad going to replace your current computer?

have you used this to know for sure how long the battery will last? netbooks can last up to 10 hrs on a single charge.. u basically called this a netbook.

i have no idea what you were even trying to say on that windows part. but if you need a million apps to run simple tasks (which, u can't even multitask.. and don't pull this crap of listening to music while doing something else is "multitasking") then hey, maybe the iPad is a great toy for you.

although WM isn't the greatest OS.. it does what the iPhone does, before the iPhone was a glitter in Jobs' eye.

do you want to try again? it's fine if you like the iPad. It's not my money you're wasting.. but to knock this.. a slate with an actual OS and say the ipad is better? c'mon son.


if the product is great, then it's great. you don't need to knock other products down to make yourself feel better about the product you like.


but if you think the slate vs iPad fight is unfair because the slate is an actually computer.. try the notion ink adam vs ipad. lets see what you can find to hate on that. the pixel Qi screen alone craps over anything the iPad offers (aside from the app store, but that's exactly an "iPad" thing)
 
2,688
31
Joined Nov 25, 2001
CWrite78 dam homey you going in on me. lol I am not knocking the Slate one bit. I think for most it will be a great device. I am just saying I am not impressed with it. But the Slate and Windows would do that much to me at the moment is nothing but a touch screen netbook. At least software developers present the web to us in a different way. I was hoping the the. The hardware behind it sounds solid but the software and the vision on how to use it seems limited.

But back to you, I never said it sucked. I just said that it isn't for me. So ease up homey, lol.
 
1,419
165
Joined May 30, 2003
Originally Posted by rowenarrow

It doesn't impress me because it brings the internet to us the same way we can get it on a laptop or netbook. If you honesty believe that the slate can give you the a full browser and have an awesome battery life you are mistake. Even windows is bow down and use more of an app form mate and cloud based applications. Seeing as how it is a Windows based device I have even less hope for its productivity in my life that an iPad. The way the iPhone has changed how go about my daily events is totally different from anything windows has brought to us.

For anyone looking to try HTML5 if you use Safari or Chrome you can become a beta tester on youtube and vimeo.
Yea, and the iPad CAN'T do that
. I can't believe you're talking about having a full browser on an iPad when it can't even run most websites. You're more impressed by something that CAN'T run most websites today? And less productivity?...so I guess you never multitask or have 2 programs open at once when you use a computer?
It's really unbelievable the blind love people have for anything made by Apple
. I'm a fan of apple products, I've had almost every version of the iPod and 2 iPhones, but the iPad is garbage and I can't believe you seriously typed that with a straight face....unless ur being sarcastic? (if u are, I apologize, but there really are ridiculous Apple stans who would post something like that)
 
12,749
70
Joined Apr 14, 2004
see, you're just contradicting yourself. you complain about the slate being just a netbook. but you're willing to pay iPad prices for just a big touch? and what exactly are you talking about when you say software developers are presenting the web to use in a different way? i want my web untouched, aside from being safe. i dont want it dumb down because the CEO has some childish beef with another company. if you want your web delivered to you in a diff way.. wait until chromium OS comes out on tablets.

nobody ever said that you said it sucked (at least i dont remember saying it). i mean, if you want it you're obviously going to get it. and nothing anybody says is going to change your mind (like right now) but dont just blindly hate. and im not "going in on you" (pause).. im just trying to make u see that apple isn't the end all be all of tech. and i just came from work, not tired and i have nothing to do (main reason
) again, if you like the iPad, that's cool. looks like a great device for your average joe/apple lover. doesn't fit my needs tho.


lol @ you saying a damn full OS on a tablet is limited but blindly ignore apple's tyranny over anything and everything that goes into their products. i quit, you obviously don't know what you're talking about
 

balloonoboy

Banned
9,788
481
Joined Nov 13, 2009
iPad will reign.

The fact is that Apple can take a product that's been out for a while (in this instance, the tablet) and release it to the masses like it's the best thing since sliced bread and they'll eat it up.

The iPad will be big with the young adult and the working class crowd.

The true test of it's mettle will be how innovative developers can be in designing apps for it. That can all but render the talk of iPad's inferiority to any other tablet device null and void.

Time will tell.
 
12,749
70
Joined Apr 14, 2004
Way to contradict yourself. Actually, I take it back, you're not stupid. You're just a misinformed blind follower.

iPad will reign... no no wait, time will tell. No wait, the iPad will be big with young adults and the working class.. but the true test is with the developers.

so, which is it? and this is great. one fan boy backing up another fan boy.
 

balloonoboy

Banned
9,788
481
Joined Nov 13, 2009
I love the name calling over such a mundane issue. Real classy.

And the operative word is "will", meaning that when the dust has settled it will be the #1 tablet purchased by the consumer.

I'm not saying that once it releases it will trump all tablets. But in the end, it will.

How can I be misinformed about my predictions? They're predictions.
 
13,411
1,514
Joined Sep 17, 2008
I don't see how anyone can argue that the iPad missing flash is somehow NOT a bad thing? I wouldn't get it either way but for people who don't have laptops I think the Slate is the better purchase because it's ready for the full internet NOW and not in the future.

iPad will only sell because of hype and reputation even if it turns out to be the inferior product.
 
12,749
70
Joined Apr 14, 2004
will reign means it's definitive. has a chance? i'll give you that. should? maybe, because of the huge backing it has. but will? nobody is certain. and i apologize for the name calling, over reacted.

i hope nobody picks up the 3G version. not even the at&t CEO is confident their network would handle it. saying "nobody wants another subscription" as an excuse.
 
443
11
Joined May 25, 2005
Originally Posted by rowenarrow

I have faith the HTML5 is the wave of the future so I believe the iPad will reign supreme.
people dont understand that HTML 5 cannot replace every implementation of Flash. Just bc Steve Jobs says things like HTML5 is the future and Flash is dead, doesn't mean its true. He has his own personal reasons why he doesn't want Flash on his devices. Imagine if people could Hulu (or watch shows from networks websites,ie MTV) on their Ipads and didnt have to buy shows from Itunes. Apple does NOT want that. The ipad is a content device, they want u to buy books, movies, shows, music, from itunes..and this tablet has HTML 5 AND Flash. theres no coincidence that every mobile platform will have flash by the end of the year, EXCEPT the iphone. i dont understand how the Ipad will reign supreme just bc it runs HTML5. everything will/does run it.
 
10,990
4,081
Joined Nov 18, 2000
iPad is going be a bust. Its going to be hilarious. Why purchase an tablet that can't even multitask?
 
6,607
15
Joined Oct 7, 2007
Originally Posted by CWrite78

awesome? sure. widely adopted? not for a good while. i'll take a tablet with a full OS over an oversized iPod and it's apps any day.
this is true. but when html 5 spreads its going to be hard times for adobe and flash. (well not really, because there are other uses for flash besides the web)


but give the ipad 1-2 years, and let html5 grow. the ipad will be a strong product one apple stops +%%**+% around and add in all of the features they know it should have had.
 
443
11
Joined May 25, 2005
Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by CWrite78

awesome? sure. widely adopted? not for a good while. i'll take a tablet with a full OS over an oversized iPod and it's apps any day.
this is true. but when html 5 spreads its going to be hard times for adobe and flash. (well not really, because there are other uses for flash besides the web)


but give the ipad 1-2 years, and let html5 grow. the ipad will be a strong product one apple stops +%%**+% around and add in all of the features they know it should have had.
what html5 uses are going to make the IPAD special?? any tablet device can do html5 in the browser, meaning all of these web apps built in html5 will work on them as well. Apple is not winning anything by not implementing flash.
 
1,019
69
Joined Jan 5, 2003
Originally Posted by DownyBoy

Why purchase a tablet that can't even multitask?
that's exactly why it's going to bust.

who cares how it delivers the internet if that's the only thing it can do at one time.

iPad is a complete waste.

 
 
6,607
15
Joined Oct 7, 2007
Originally Posted by QuestLife

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by CWrite78

awesome? sure. widely adopted? not for a good while. i'll take a tablet with a full OS over an oversized iPod and it's apps any day.
this is true. but when html 5 spreads its going to be hard times for adobe and flash. (well not really, because there are other uses for flash besides the web)


but give the ipad 1-2 years, and let html5 grow. the ipad will be a strong product one apple stops +%%**+% around and add in all of the features they know it should have had.
what html5 uses are going to make the IPAD special?? any tablet device can do html5 in the browser, meaning all of these web apps built in html5 will work on them as well. Apple is not winning anything by not implementing flash.
apple already won though. everytime something apple is brought up, the apple haters jump out the bushes trying to preach about how apple products are nothing special compared to their competition.

have you not payed attention to the past decade in technology? just because any tablet can do html 5, doesn't mean those tablets are going to be moving off the shelves like an ipad will be.

i really dont want to get into this discussion again. some of you just need to give up trying to down apple products and just realize, these !%%#$@ are going to MOVE PRODUCT no matter what at this point.
 
21,947
1,357
Joined Jan 12, 2003
Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by QuestLife

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by CWrite78

awesome? sure. widely adopted? not for a good while. i'll take a tablet with a full OS over an oversized iPod and it's apps any day.
this is true. but when html 5 spreads its going to be hard times for adobe and flash. (well not really, because there are other uses for flash besides the web)


but give the ipad 1-2 years, and let html5 grow. the ipad will be a strong product one apple stops +%%**+% around and add in all of the features they know it should have had.
what html5 uses are going to make the IPAD special?? any tablet device can do html5 in the browser, meaning all of these web apps built in html5 will work on them as well. Apple is not winning anything by not implementing flash.
apple already won though. everytime something apple is brought up, the apple haters jump out the bushes trying to preach about how apple products are nothing special compared to their competition.

have you not payed attention to the past decade in technology? just because any tablet can do html 5, doesn't mean those tablets are going to be moving off the shelves like an ipad will be.

i really dont want to get into this discussion again. some of you just need to give up trying to down apple products and just realize, these !%%#$@ are going to MOVE PRODUCT no matter what at this point.
Nobody is talking about sales though. Of course Apple will sell more because of the blind sheep, but the fact of the matter is so the competition tablets are already outperforming them.

Apple can easily make a 2nd version down the line and just make it dope, but RIGHT NOW this product is a fail for many many reasons (plus a subscription fee? LOL).
 
6,607
15
Joined Oct 7, 2007
Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by QuestLife

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by CWrite78

awesome? sure. widely adopted? not for a good while. i'll take a tablet with a full OS over an oversized iPod and it's apps any day.
this is true. but when html 5 spreads its going to be hard times for adobe and flash. (well not really, because there are other uses for flash besides the web)


but give the ipad 1-2 years, and let html5 grow. the ipad will be a strong product one apple stops +%%**+% around and add in all of the features they know it should have had.
what html5 uses are going to make the IPAD special?? any tablet device can do html5 in the browser, meaning all of these web apps built in html5 will work on them as well. Apple is not winning anything by not implementing flash.
apple already won though. everytime something apple is brought up, the apple haters jump out the bushes trying to preach about how apple products are nothing special compared to their competition.

have you not payed attention to the past decade in technology? just because any tablet can do html 5, doesn't mean those tablets are going to be moving off the shelves like an ipad will be.

i really dont want to get into this discussion again. some of you just need to give up trying to down apple products and just realize, these !%%#$@ are going to MOVE PRODUCT no matter what at this point.
Nobody is talking about sales though. Of course Apple will sell more because of the blind sheep, but the fact of the matter is so the competition tablets are already outperforming them.

Apple can easily make a 2nd version down the line and just make it dope, but RIGHT NOW this product is a fail for many many reasons (plus a subscription fee? LOL).
i have no doubt that the competition will out perform them though. but all performance doesn't always appeal to the consumer. the ipad will more than likely be a more comfortable product to use.

but when ease of use and comfortability come into play, all we will hear from dudes is "the ipad is a toy"

why? because its easier to use?
i can name 5 excuses for why other products will be better in some peoples eyes.
and i can name 5 real reasons why the other products are actually better.

flash is hardly a huge reason for why the Slate will be better. when HTML 5 will replace a lot of things websites are using for flash nowadays.

a good percentage of the web uses flash for video and audio streaming, HTML will be able to do this right from the code, so why would web developers need to use flash heavy on the web anymore?

we had a discussion about this in class the other day (about HTML 5 vs flash, not the ipad) and when the wave hits, Flash integration on the web will take a fall. especially with the larger companies/websites. the web will move on with in code streaming and video playback.

half of the things people use flash for now can be done with Javascript/Jquery anyways. what do you need flash for in a websites navigation? you dont, anymore...

but i guess coming from a webdesign students point of view, where we are learning day in and day out about the web, i can kind of make my own hypothesis on how this will play out from an actual educated background on the subject and it somewhat. im not just trying to sit here and go off blind personal opinion.



and im saying all of this, but i still think the Slate is superior to the ipad in terms of performance.
 
3,831
59
Joined May 4, 2006
slate is the better product tech wise.

ipad is the better product for the mainstream.

marketing. brand management. product awareness.

apple has already won. the ipad at its price and its features, is being looked at as the standard.
 
Top Bottom