Flash on HP Slate...looks like a basic netbook... Updated w/ MS Courier Vids Pg. 3

Originally Posted by presequel

slate is the better product tech wise.

ipad is the better product for the mainstream.

marketing. brand management. product awareness.

apple has already won. the ipad at its price and its features, is being looked at as the standard.
agreed. the mainstream will accept it regardless of its faults.
im anti apple though...itunes/ipod aint deleting my whole music collection and ill be damned if i have NO drag n drop....
tired.gif

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by QuestLife

Originally Posted by CWrite78

awesome? sure. widely adopted? not for a good while. i'll take a tablet with a full OS over an oversized iPod and it's apps any day.
this is true. but when html 5 spreads its going to be hard times for adobe and flash. (well not really, because there are other uses for flash besides the web)

but give the ipad 1-2 years, and let html5 grow. the ipad will be a strong product one apple stops +%%**+% around and add in all of the features they know it should have had.
what html5 uses are going to make the IPAD special?? any tablet device can do html5 in the browser, meaning all of these web apps built in html5 will work on them as well. Apple is not winning anything by not implementing flash.
apple already won though. everytime something apple is brought up, the apple haters jump out the bushes trying to preach about how apple products are nothing special compared to their competition.

have you not payed attention to the past decade in technology? just because any tablet can do html 5, doesn't mean those tablets are going to be moving off the shelves like an ipad will be.

laugh.gif
i really dont want to get into this discussion again. some of you just need to give up trying to down apple products and just realize, these !%%#$@ are going to MOVE PRODUCT no matter what at this point.
how did apple win when their product is not even out yet? and im the furthest thing from an "Apple Hater".  we are not talking about whats moving off of shelves, because ipods move faster than any other pmp, that doesnt make them the best. I dont "down" Apple products, thats not what this is about. Its a criticicm of a widely hyped device that in most peoples opinions, fall short of what we want in an EXTRA device. The Ipad's only strengths IMO are the Apple brand and the extensive app store. the tech and actual capacity to perform functions, that you would expect from a device like this, are very limited.(i do think there will be some amazing apps developed for it, depending on how it takes off in the market) The slate , along with a TON of android tablets, do everything if not more than the Ipad. IMO theres nothing special about the Ipad other than Apples name being on it.

Wow really wanted this to take about the slate and us finally getting to see i in action other than a diss on Apple. Hella hit the hammer on the head, Apple will win this bout. If you pay attention to to what they have done over the passed few years THEY WIN!!!!

I honestly don't feel that I have contridicted myself in anything I said. to me from what I have seen the Slate seems to bring the internet to us the same way a laptop will (w/ a touch screen). For those going emo on my statements I am not downing the slate by no means, but I am stronger hopes for the Courier than I do the Slate. The concept of the Courier brings the web to us in a new way and I am look for more innovation in a device that can take on the iPad's hype. For anyone who would like to argue that the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad doesn't use a different way for it user to use the web, that is another fight, but one I am sure I will win. (start a new thread and we can talk that there)

Lets talk interface...

My biggest complaint about the Slate is Windows 7. So far it only looks modified and I hate that Microsoft did not create a new OS like (Apple and Google). The Slate with Android would have been way better IMO. Windows 7, Chrome, Mac OS X... all use a mouse as its primary input device as to where Android and OS X use touch as its primary input device. That is my logic behind it anyways and it is just my opinion. So please don't get all fussy about it or try to down it unless you can present cold hard facts that can help educate me.

So now lets get back to a key point of this thread the Flash integration. I no doubt will miss the flash integration. Not being able to play Facebook Texas Hold'em often sucks but then again I am used to it and the plus to the device out ways (IMO) the minus of flash. One of my main concerns concerns with a device that runs (from what I can see) a full Windows 7 OS and full on flash is the battery life. I believe even a netbook runs a more scaled back version of the OS so that is were my issue is.

Though I am a investor in Apple and trust their products (therefore by most standards a fanboy) I believe. that Android is the Mobile OS that can take them on and that the slate would be better off running that than Windows 7. If Microsoft was smart and wanted a tablet that bad they would at least wait and see how their 7 series phone OS will work and then try to expand on that, I think it is foolish to try to put the laptop/desktop 7 on a tablet.

This is why I am not impressed.

Thank you for your time

Originally Posted by rowenarrow

Wow really wanted this to take about the slate and us finally getting to see i in action other than a diss on Apple. Hella hit the hammer on the head, Apple will win this bout. If you pay attention to to what they have done over the passed few years THEY WIN!!!!

I honestly don't feel that I have contridicted myself in anything I said. to me from what I have seen the Slate seems to bring the internet to us the same way a laptop will (w/ a touch screen). For those going emo on my statements I am not downing the slate by no means, but I am stronger hopes for the Courier than I do the Slate. The concept of the Courier brings the web to us in a new way and I am look for more innovation in a device that can take on the iPad's hype. For anyone who would like to argue that the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad doesn't use a different way for it user to use the web, that is another fight, but one I am sure I will win. (start a new thread and we can talk that there)

Lets talk interface...

My biggest complaint about the Slate is Windows 7. So far it only looks modified and I hate that Microsoft did not create a new OS like (Apple and Google). The Slate with Android would have been way better IMO. Windows 7, Chrome, Mac OS X... all use a mouse as its primary input device as to where Android and OS X use touch as its primary input device. That is my logic behind it anyways and it is just my opinion. So please don't get all fussy about it or try to down it unless you can present cold hard facts that can help educate me.

So now lets get back to a key point of this thread the Flash integration. I no doubt will miss the flash integration. Not being able to play Facebook Texas Hold'em often sucks but then again I am used to it and the plus to the device out ways (IMO) the minus of flash. One of my main concerns concerns with a device that runs (from what I can see) a full Windows 7 OS and full on flash is the battery life. I believe even a netbook runs a more scaled back version of the OS so that is were my issue is.

Though I am a investor in Apple and trust their products (therefore by most standards a fanboy) I believe. that Android is the Mobile OS that can take them on and that the slate would be better off running that than Windows 7. If Microsoft was smart and wanted a tablet that bad they would at least wait and see how their 7 series phone OS will work and then try to expand on that, I think it is foolish to try to put the laptop/desktop 7 on a tablet.

This is why I am not impressed.

Thank you for your time

9b99c38768blet_1.jpg.jpg
runs a mobile OS(android.. actually i believe it's going to come in many different flavors), plays flash, plays HTML5. Pixel Qi screen (hybrid e-ink/LCD), android market, front facing camera, back mounted track pad, USB ports, outputs 1080p, suppose to be cheaper than iPad, and looks better than the iPad (subjective, i know) now, find somebody bad about this that makes the iPad much better (forget the ipad is made by apple for a second, since you're a fanboy and all)

CWrite78 I have been checking out what Android will be dropping in the tablet arena. As a matter of fact I just told my family if I buy them anything it would be the Dell Mini 5 (Streak) so I am right there with you. Like I said I believe that they can take on Apple and actually win. Though I will have an iPad I will also get a Streak for myself and get several for my family. Check it out, if you haven't. It's a little smaller than I want it but worth the try. Dude you should know I am a gadget guy, so I look forward to whomever will have the best device.

But if you want me to say something bad about it okay.... ummm the background is boring, lol.

awesome? sure. widely adopted? not for a good while. i'll take a tablet with a full OS over an oversized iPod and it's apps any day.
this is true. but when html 5 spreads its going to be hard times for adobe and flash. (well not really, because there are other uses for flash besides the web)

but give the ipad 1-2 years, and let html5 grow. the ipad will be a strong product one apple stops +%%**+% around and add in all of the features they know it should have had.
what html5 uses are going to make the IPAD special?? any tablet device can do html5 in the browser, meaning all of these web apps built in html5 will work on them as well. Apple is not winning anything by not implementing flash.
apple already won though. everytime something apple is brought up, the apple haters jump out the bushes trying to preach about how apple products are nothing special compared to their competition.

have you not payed attention to the past decade in technology? just because any tablet can do html 5, doesn't mean those tablets are going to be moving off the shelves like an ipad will be.

laugh.gif
i really dont want to get into this discussion again. some of you just need to give up trying to down apple products and just realize, these !%%#$@ are going to MOVE PRODUCT no matter what at this point.
how did apple win when their product is not even out yet? and im the furthest thing from an "Apple Hater".  we are not talking about whats moving off of shelves, because ipods move faster than any other pmp, that doesnt make them the best. I dont "down" Apple products, thats not what this is about. Its a criticicm of a widely hyped device that in most peoples opinions, fall short of what we want in an EXTRA device. The Ipad's only strengths IMO are the Apple brand and the extensive app store. the tech and actual capacity to perform functions, that you would expect from a device like this, are very limited.(i do think there will be some amazing apps developed for it, depending on how it takes off in the market) The slate , along with a TON of android tablets, do everything if not more than the Ipad. IMO theres nothing special about the Ipad other than Apples name being on it.

if you read through what i said about the ipad and the slate, you would clearly see, i stated how apple products are not "better" in terms of performance, but better in terms of user ease of use. 
why do you think more people buy automatic transmission cars rather than manual transmission? ease of use. thats what sells. you can sit here and point out the stats on the paper that be both obviously know, and fail to see how apple has already won with their branding and recognition with ease of use in their products that people like them for. 

i feel like im on a team, and im arguing with my own team mates, because ive already said i like the slate more 
laugh.gif

apple won the first round of the tablet wars the day it was announced. the tech heads wont buy it, but guess who the majority is? the general public. thats where the battle is won. 

I honestly don't see the need of any tablet. Can you imagine working on an 8 page paper on one of these things? I know that's not really what they're geared for, but does that mean that I would take my tablet with me everyday except for when I'm expecting to have to type a lot? I just really don't see the appeal - I'd rather just have a netbook or regular laptop with a physical keyboard and more versatility.

All that being said, I do think HP is going at the market better than Apple is. I love Apple's products, but really hate their business practices. I feel like they could do way more with the iPad than what they're releasing in April, but they're going to hold back some of that technology and just release it little by little with software updates and new hardware releases. HP is at least putting out something that puts a good deal of their technology to use.

laugh.gif

if you read through what i said about the ipad and the slate, you would clearly see, i stated how apple products are not "better" in terms of performance, but better in terms of user ease of use. 
why do you think more people buy automatic transmission cars rather than manual transmission? ease of use. thats what sells. you can sit here and point out the stats on the paper that be both obviously know, and fail to see how apple has already won with their branding and recognition with ease of use in their products that people like them for. 

i feel like im on a team, and im arguing with my own team mates, because ive already said i like the slate more 
laugh.gif

apple won the first round of the tablet wars the day it was announced. the tech heads wont buy it, but guess who the majority is? the general public. thats where the battle is won. 

i do not believe this to be true. thats YOUR opinion. like i said before, Apple has not won anything yet. HP and Dell have yet to market their devices. we only have info which we see on tech blogs. when the choices all present themselves in the market, then we can make claims on who "won".

I really think this slate is going to win in the outcome because the Ipad for one is overpriced and it lacks some of the features the slate is offering like the camera and the ability to multi task along with it offering flash. I don't see how Ipad wins if the slate is expected to be much cheaper than the ipad and offere way more specs. On top of that the ipad loses because it doesn't have flash alone. Thats major. Could you imagine using a computer and browsing the internet without using flash? I think the blinded sheep who are willing to purchase the ipad will lose so I guess the ipad wins there.

I'd be HELLA suprised if Apple wins the "tablet war".
Ipod, I could see.
Iphone, enh, I could kinda see.
But this? No. Ipad really doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell to win this competition.

Since the iPad vs the universe war is being talked about. I think Apple took a page from the rest of the industry book. If you noticed that no one released any info on what they were doing until Apple made its move. It could just be good business to offer a basic model first see what the rest will try to do to top them and then crush them with the next gen version.

I live how some people refer to people who buy Apple products as sheep. It couldn't be that they were tired of PC crashes or viruses, they have to be sheep. Come on people.

Also to those who don't want to call the iPhone what it is.... (the poster boy for the change in the way we use cellphones) the you are fooling yourself. Just like the iPod, the iPhone has changed the game, every phone that comes out that claims it can be better i call an "iPhone Killer". I mean lets be real and give props where it is due. Apple has been owning the tech game for a minute. It is what it is.

Since the iPad vs the universe war is being talked about. I think Apple took a page from the rest of the industry book. If you noticed that no one released any info on what they were doing until Apple made its move. It could just be good business to offer a basic model first see what the rest will try to do to top them and then crush them with the next gen version.

I live how some people refer to people who buy Apple products as sheep. It couldn't be that they were tired of PC crashes or viruses, they have to be sheep. Come on people.

Also to those who don't want to call the iPhone what it is.... (the poster boy for the change in the way we use cellphones) the you are fooling yourself. Just like the iPod, the iPhone has changed the game, every phone that comes out that claims it can be better i call an "iPhone Killer". I mean lets be real and give props where it is due. Apple has been owning the tech game for a minute. It is what it is.
few points:

1. Itunes changed the game, not the ipod/iphone.

2. Crashes/viruses are almost always user-created situations that are completely avoidable and preventable without Anti-virus protection. Would it make sense for me to buy another kind of stove because I burnt myself on the one I had?

3. iphone killer is a term used to describe phones that have the potential to outsell the iphone. In no way, shape or form is the iphone the best phone out right now. They've owned the marketing game for a minute and that's all that it is.

^
1. Really, I mean come on to say that the device doesn't have relevance and give full credit to the software... I mean come on. Do you hate the iPod or something?

2. There are far more viruses programed for Windows than there is on Mac OS X. For whatever reason your chances of getting a virous on a PC are greater. Lets not forget about the greatest virus of them all Windows Vista. Microsoft was willing to put out that and that's when I lost confidence in them.

3. The term is used for any phone people think will out do the iPhone in any manner

Now you got me sounding like a Apple fanatic, but some of you try to divide up the why(s) Apple has found success. Like it or not they give the people what they want in an easier format, that actually works. Hate it or love it, they are the leader.

you do know the ipod was made because of itunes, right? so yes, it's full credit to the software.

aside from the iPod (and it's 100 versions, including the iPhone) what has apple been killing? last time i checked, windows still dominated the OS wars. appleTV was a complete and utter failure. hell, nettops probably sell more than that POS box. mac minis are a joke. what exactly has apple done with the iPod the last 3 years? bigger hard drives? cooler colors? thinner cases? sub par cameras?

you have to be pretty stupid and careless to catch a virus on your PC. if the tables were turned and windows was the minority, the same exact viruses would be running rampant for OS X. why would virus writers waste their time for a market with less than 10% of the world's PCs? you're sheep because you buy over priced dated hardware and act like it's the greatest thing in the world. then look down upon a dell, hp, asus, acer, homebuilt PC user because it isn't as pretty as your macbook pro, macbook or iMac.

the term iPhone killer is idiotic. there is no iphone killer, the hype around the iPhone is ridiculous (although, android's market share is rising incredibly fast so we'll see how long that'll last.. i mean, why do you think apple is going crazy suing everybody and their mother all of a sudden?) but there are sure as hell a lot better phones than the iPhone, they just don't have the marketing and synergy the iPhone has with itunes/apple products.

and nobody is making you sound like anything. you're an apple fanatic, a fanboy, a follower.

CWrite78, homey it will be okay my lord you seem to take this to heart. It will be okay homey.

HP Slate > Ipad I shouldnt have to elaborate, Cwrite78 has that covered.

This is not the first time apple has released a dud, remember Apple Tv ? well to me this is just another dud from apple. The only reason it has attention and might sell is due to the "I" in its name.

Apple should of had a touch screen version of leopard or snow leopard with quick user interface mode for quick functions. This is what Hp did with windows 7. The whole thing about HTML5 is the future crap good luck waiting forever, if you think that flash is magically going to disappear with the introduction of html5 your sadly mistaken. The truth is the Ipad is lacking and even I'm disappointed with it. The HP Slate is definitely appreciated, it just sets the standard.

CWrite78, homey it will be okay my lord you seem to take this to heart. It will be okay homey.

so im taking it to heart because im disproving every "fact" of yours? yeah, makes sense.

The only thing that I see that is worth purchasing right now is MSFT's Courier.  But then again, we haven't been given any real specs yet (I don't think).  Right now, tablet PCs > these things. 

Designer, student, or an interactive journal users will benefit the most, I think the Courier (from what we have seen so far) will be best suited for that demographic. While I am sure we have only seen a sliver of what MS wants this thing to do, I wonder why they have just released videos that have lead me to come to this conclusion...

laugh.gif
 CWrite & rowenarrow stay goin' at it.. 
anyway.. wasnt there already a hands on preview w/ the Slate? they talked about hold clunky the entire thing is (the interface, touchscreen, & the actual unit itself)..

with that said, i would rather have a simple/intuitive device than a clunky "do-it-all" device.. (as a complimentary piece to my PC & laptop)

Back
Top Bottom