Flu Shot Season

Im only trolling cause nawghtyhare nawghtyhare was spewing some ish, that i thought was funny.

Still aint getting a flu shot though. Even if i have to come outiside like this.
80DF6B9E-D629-4DC7-A1A4-52DF1BD3CB47.gif

forget it not arguing with you

EXAMPLE 1

Statistics can be manipulated to prove anything
  • Categories:
There are several undeniable truths about statistics: First and foremost, they can be manipulated, massaged and misstated. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, “Aw, you can come up with statistics to prove anything … Forty percent of all people know that.”

Second, if bogus statistical information is repeated often enough, it eventually is considered to be true.

As to Point One, consider a presidential debate. In 2012, when Barak Obama and Mitt Romney squared off, the president was heard to declare that “Over the last 30 months, we’ve seen 5 million jobs in the private sector created.” But 30 months only dates back to January 2010. And the president took office in January 2009.

It turns out that in his first year in office, the country lost some 5 million jobs. While things got better, the cumulative job creation in the private sector during Obama’s first term is in fact a more humble 125,000.

Romney, for his part, said that “If I’m president I will create — help create 12 million new jobs in this country with rising incomes.” While that may have seemed impressive, it’s the exact same figure that had been used by economic forecasters for how many jobs they already expected the economy would add over the next four years given a stable economy. And it had nothing to do with who was in the White House.

As to Point Two, consider these Things We Believe But Shouldn’t:

The teen pregnancy rate is on the rise. No, it isn’t. According to a report in the Washington Post, the teen pregnancy rate in 2009, of about 38 per thousand girls, was 39 percent lower than the 1991 peak of 62. Just four years later, in 2012, it reached a record low of about 29.

People only use 10 per cent of their brains: Nobody knows for sure where this nugget came from, but as psychologist Scott Lilienfeld explains: “The last century has witnessed the advent of increasingly sophisticated technologies for snooping in the brain’s traffic… Despite this detailed mapping, no quiet areas awaiting new assignments have emerged. In fact, even simple tasks generally require contributions of processing areas spread throughout virtually the whole brain.” Which means you’re using all of your brain, even if you don’t feel like it on occasion.

Men think about sex every seven seconds: Calculated over 16 waking hours that adds up to 8,000 salacious thoughts in a day. While we’ve known a few guys who met or maybe even exceeded that mark, a 2011 Ohio State study found that young men think about sex 19 times a day, compared with 10 for young women.

We’re discussing all of this because of the emergence of one Tyler Vigen, a law school student at Harvard, who has once and for all exposed just how absurd statistical data can be in the wrong hands.

He has created a website called Spurious Correlations (found at tylervigen.com) which, he says, isn’t meant to create a distrust for research or even correlative data but instead foster interest in statistics and numerical research. Perhaps. We prefer to think he has a wicked sense of humor.

Using data from the Center for Disease Control and the U.S. Census, he intertwines the numbers to reach statistical conclusions which are based on real data but which have to actual correlation whatsoever.

In his first example, he has illustrated in graph form that the number of people who trip and fall over their own feet is in direct correlation with the number of lawyers in Nevada. There is, of course, no plausible connection unless most the members of the Nevada bar handle slip and fall cases.

Next up is a chart that show the number of people murdered by being pushed from high places corresponds with the precipitation in Tuscola County, Mississippi.

Vigen has showed that the age of our Miss Americas declines in concert with the number of murders by steam, hot vapors and hot objects.

Then we see that the number of sociology doctorates awarded is in direct proportion to the number of deaths caused by anticoagulants.

By the same measurement, we find that the per capita consumption of mozzarella cheese is in statistical lockstep with civil engineering doctorates awarded.

More intriguing is the chart that illustrates that the number of people who drowned by falling into a swimming pool correlates with the number of films in which Nicolas Cage has appeared.

I work in critical care with patients, flu shot is pretty much mandatory for me to take :\

I work in critical care with patients, flu shot is pretty much mandatory for me to take :\
They don’t give u the opt out
And if u opt out u have to wear the mask
While on duty???
That’s what they do at our facilities

Mando for my job, they got rid of the nose spray and went back to the shot. Typically after getting the shot, I get sick a day or two later. Its the only time I get sick all year. Not to mention the Malaria pills we have to take for going overseas :smh:

They don’t give u the opt out
And if u opt out u have to wear the mask
While on duty???
That’s what they do at our facilities
Well yeah, but I ain’t trying to wear a mask everywhere I go, that **** is more annoying than taking a shot...so everyone at my job just takes the shot

Even if you don't get sick from the flu you can still be a carrier which is why it's advised that you get the shot.
Especially if you work or live with children, the elderly, or the sick. Go ahead and put big mama in the hospital cuz you're afraid of autism.

I have never gotten it as an adult, and don't remember getting it as a child (prolly did tho), but I'm getting this Friday at work.

That flu last year was the worst flu I've ever had. Lasted like 2 weeks, too. There was a point where I was feeling better then a day later I felt worse than the pevious week.

Not taking any chances this year :lol: if I die, I die.

I understand your a medical professional and your obligations to adovocate for preventive medications, but If my doctor or a medical professional tells me to get a flu shot i have the right to decline. Ill take the risk cause its my body not theirs.

Lets not neglect thier are side effects of a flu shot and if a new strain is out there and doesn't play well with the human body We're still screwed.
Of course it's your right. No one argued that. However, just because it's your right doesn't make you right. You're just exercising your right to make bad decisions.

I am a big believer in vaccines and I think antivoxxers are idiots.

However, the Flu shot is sort of based on a guesstimate right?

They pick a Flu strain they think will dominate and use that and the actual strain could be completely different. Like last year I just made a commitment to wash my hands every chance I had access to a bathroom and didn't catch it. The year before I get it and did catch the Flu, cause I ran into a strain they hadn't prepped for.

Shouldn't we at least wait to hear if they guessed right this year cause I remember last year they guessed wrong?
Not really a viable option considering the time it takes to determine the prominent strains, then develop/manufacture/distribute.

The flu strain mutates every year
How are u getting an immunization
To a virus that has mutated
Before they were able to make the vaccine
Takes them about 4-6 months to even make a vaccine after it mutates
The vaccine will be effective for the previous strain
But not the new one that mutated
Could go more in depth
But u a sucka
And don’t feel like entertaining a sucka
Again, no one is saying the flu shot is perfect. It's just that a ___% efficacy is still better than 0% efficacy no matter how you try to argue around it.

Adding to this: the flu shot will still effectively lessen symptoms and duration of the flu even if you contract it after getting the shot. Happened to me 2 years ago and was completely better in 2 days.

Now if you don't mind, go back to bleaching toilets. The adults are talking.

Not that I would know but I'm convinced I never had the flu. My sicknesses never really last more than 3 days and I'm usually sick once a year around winter time approaching spring

nawghtyhare nawghtyhare say it ain’t so bro. I had so much respect for you before this nonsense. You approaching ninjahood levels of ignorance my dude

EXAMPLE 1

Statistics can be manipulated to prove anything
  • Categories:
There are several undeniable truths about statistics: First and foremost, they can be manipulated, massaged and misstated. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, “Aw, you can come up with statistics to prove anything … Forty percent of all people know that.”

Second, if bogus statistical information is repeated often enough, it eventually is considered to be true.

As to Point One, consider a presidential debate. In 2012, when Barak Obama and Mitt Romney squared off, the president was heard to declare that “Over the last 30 months, we’ve seen 5 million jobs in the private sector created.” But 30 months only dates back to January 2010. And the president took office in January 2009.

It turns out that in his first year in office, the country lost some 5 million jobs. While things got better, the cumulative job creation in the private sector during Obama’s first term is in fact a more humble 125,000.

Romney, for his part, said that “If I’m president I will create — help create 12 million new jobs in this country with rising incomes.” While that may have seemed impressive, it’s the exact same figure that had been used by economic forecasters for how many jobs they already expected the economy would add over the next four years given a stable economy. And it had nothing to do with who was in the White House.

As to Point Two, consider these Things We Believe But Shouldn’t:

The teen pregnancy rate is on the rise. No, it isn’t. According to a report in the Washington Post, the teen pregnancy rate in 2009, of about 38 per thousand girls, was 39 percent lower than the 1991 peak of 62. Just four years later, in 2012, it reached a record low of about 29.

People only use 10 per cent of their brains: Nobody knows for sure where this nugget came from, but as psychologist Scott Lilienfeld explains: “The last century has witnessed the advent of increasingly sophisticated technologies for snooping in the brain’s traffic… Despite this detailed mapping, no quiet areas awaiting new assignments have emerged. In fact, even simple tasks generally require contributions of processing areas spread throughout virtually the whole brain.” Which means you’re using all of your brain, even if you don’t feel like it on occasion.

Men think about sex every seven seconds: Calculated over 16 waking hours that adds up to 8,000 salacious thoughts in a day. While we’ve known a few guys who met or maybe even exceeded that mark, a 2011 Ohio State study found that young men think about sex 19 times a day, compared with 10 for young women.

We’re discussing all of this because of the emergence of one Tyler Vigen, a law school student at Harvard, who has once and for all exposed just how absurd statistical data can be in the wrong hands.

He has created a website called Spurious Correlations (found at tylervigen.com) which, he says, isn’t meant to create a distrust for research or even correlative data but instead foster interest in statistics and numerical research. Perhaps. We prefer to think he has a wicked sense of humor.

Using data from the Center for Disease Control and the U.S. Census, he intertwines the numbers to reach statistical conclusions which are based on real data but which have to actual correlation whatsoever.

In his first example, he has illustrated in graph form that the number of people who trip and fall over their own feet is in direct correlation with the number of lawyers in Nevada. There is, of course, no plausible connection unless most the members of the Nevada bar handle slip and fall cases.

Next up is a chart that show the number of people murdered by being pushed from high places corresponds with the precipitation in Tuscola County, Mississippi.

Vigen has showed that the age of our Miss Americas declines in concert with the number of murders by steam, hot vapors and hot objects.

Then we see that the number of sociology doctorates awarded is in direct proportion to the number of deaths caused by anticoagulants.

By the same measurement, we find that the per capita consumption of mozzarella cheese is in statistical lockstep with civil engineering doctorates awarded.

More intriguing is the chart that illustrates that the number of people who drowned by falling into a swimming pool correlates with the number of films in which Nicolas Cage has appeared.
https://mashable.com/2015/09/14/terrence-howard-one-times-one/#0RISj4cGR5qw
Terrence Howard believes 1x1=2, so he created his own language

Terrence is that you?!?!

Anyone that thinks the flu shot is a scam is a moron, and unless you have an egg allergy or a history of Guillian-Barre your reasoning for not getting the flu shot is probably stupid.

I’m an RN, if that matters.

Lmao this guy.

Don’t believe anything he is saying.

Flu does more harm than good for the human body.

This guy is an agent working for the govt. telling ppl to get the flu shot.

Every time I’ve gotten the flu, in the past, it put me down like no other. I’m 2 years in on the flu shot now. Actually got one last week.

Be cool tho.

It's news to me that it lessens the time sick regardless if they get the right strain. If that's true I might gamble on it again.

Back
Top Bottom