Flyknit Chukka Thread

Got my first pair of chukkas with the free sole yesterday.

I like them a lot.. but I must say the lunar sole is 10000000000x better
View media item 1006599

Completely agree, I didn't think I'd care that much for the lunars, but I do. Something about these that I don't like. I'm taking my pair back. Was hoping to really like them since they were discounted on footaction, but I just can't.

Sticking to lunars.

Completely agree, I didn't think I'd care that much for the lunars, but I do. Something about these that I don't like. I'm taking my pair back. Was hoping to really like them since they were discounted on footaction, but I just can't.

Sticking to lunars.

If the frees go on some heavy discount I'll probably swoop a pair of those SP golds or the blue turq

instead of taking everything personally and quoting stupid posts, why don't you just add something constructive to the thread? Their posts aren't helping, but neither are yours. Give it a rest already
"Relax, mini mod."  

laugh.gif

Last edited:

Those SP golds will not go on sale.
I was surprised when I received my SP Uni Golds. The Free 5.0 sole and the slightly nicer construction (hard to put my finger on how it's nicer, just feels better.) makes that shoe feel very, very premium. Nicer than my Lunar Chukkas. I wasn't expecting that. I definitely can not say the same for the Flyknit Chukkas with the other Free sole. That sole feels pretty cheap, and both pairs I have came with several black marks baked into the white part of the Free. Those moves don't help me feel any better about the Free sole. The main problem is just that the particular Free outsole / midsole design they are using for this round of Chukkas does not feel premium at all, in my opinion. They need, at the very least, speckling or something to improve the appearance of the midsole.

I was surprised when I received my SP Uni Golds. The Free 5.0 sole and the slightly nicer construction (hard to put my finger on how it's nicer, just feels better.) makes that shoe feel very, very premium. Nicer than my Lunar Chukkas. I wasn't expecting that. I definitely can not say the same for the Flyknit Chukkas with the other Free sole. That sole feels pretty cheap, and both pairs I have came with several black marks baked into the white part of the Free. Those moves don't help me feel any better about the Free sole. The main problem is just that the particular Free outsole / midsole design they are using for this round of Chukkas does not feel premium at all, in my opinion. They need, at the very least, speckling or something to improve the appearance of the midsole.
Hm, premium in what sense?  I know that the SP's retail for more than the other Free Chukkas to date.  They also got Nike's White Label box treatment.  Apart from that and the difference in colors, what factor in your opinion causes the SPs to merit being called "premium"?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell based on images and technical specifications, the SP Uni Golds are essentially made using the same rubber compounds as its brethren.  Perhaps it could be that the inferior pair you have is a bit flawed?  

In my opinion, I'd actually be more biased to call the SP Gold's more premium just by colorway alone and the better packaging, but I'm a bit skeptical that they'd be made with better materials.  Better craftsmanship perhaps, but not sure how much more premium Flyknit and the Free outsole can get.

Last edited:

Hm, premium in what sense?  I know that the SP's retail for more than the other Free Chukkas to date.  They also got Nike's White Label box treatment.  Apart from that and the difference in colors, what factor in your opinion causes the SPs to merit being called "premium"?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell based on images and technical specifications, the SP Uni Golds are essentially made using the same rubber compounds as its brethren.  Perhaps it could be that the inferior pair you have is a bit flawed?  

In my opinion, I'd actually be more biased to call the SP Gold's more premium just by colorway alone and the better packaging, but I'm a bit skeptical that they'd be made with better materials.  Better craftsmanship perhaps, but not sure how much more premium Flyknit and the Free outsole can get.
I'm totally in agreement. I guess the feeling of premium I get from the SP Uni Golds is the nice box, the very dialed colorway, and the craftsmanship. The quality of the Free 5.0 outsole seems much higher than the quality of the sole they are using on the other Free Flyknit Chukkas right now, and I think that also helps the Uni Golds feel nicer. Premium is def verging on a cheesy term these days, but the SPs do feel like they are crafted nicer. I would say the difference is only 10-15% nicer. It's not like it's a huge thing. The colorway makes the biggest difference.

The other Free soles just seem like a letdown after having the SPs and Lunars in hand!

i'm not sure what kind of abnormal foot i have, but i'm going to try and exchange my 11.5 black/pure platinum free for an 11 today -- a full size down from what i normally wear. no one else sizes down this much in chukkas? the messed up thing is i ordered black sails about 2 months ago in an 11 after mistakenly thinking that it was the consensus to go a size down (people were talking about FSB) and sent them back without even taking them out of the box :rolleyes

oh well, they're still a beautiful sneaker. looking forward to getting one that fits right on my foot finally :smile:

Last edited:
For me "Free" chukka SP: 1/2 size down, FSB chukka: 1 size down, Lunar chukka: TTS. I only own the SP's in the frees and cannot speak for the newer releases. Hope this helps.

i'm not sure what kind of abnormal foot i have, but i'm going to try and exchange my 11.5 black/pure platinum free for an 11 today -- a full size down from what i normally wear. no one else sizes down this much in chukkas? the messed up thing is i ordered black sails about 2 months ago in an 11 after mistakenly thinking that it was the consensus to go a size down (people were talking about FSB) and sent them back without even taking them out of the box
eyes.gif

oh well, they're still a beautiful sneaker. looking forward to getting one that fits right on my foot finally
smile.gif
I have said on here a few times that I went a half size down on the frees from what I wear on the lunars... just go try them on if you can. I know my local foot action has them in stock.

cool, thanks for the replies. i hit up that footaction online sale last week and don't have any locations near me. gonna try and exchange at ntny.

i think these are very similar to a dress shoe in sizing since there really isn't any inside padding.

yeah i received my 11.5 chukkas yesterday and immediately went to the local footaction to exchange em for a half size smaller. they fit great now

they're so airy

Exactly.. Like the insane Flyknit combined with the Lunarlon sole is why most of us started liking Chukkas to begin with.. Free and Air Max 90 soles ruin the silhouette completely.

Does any one own these? Lunar Racer 3

Isn't the sole the same as the Flyknit chukka? Do they feel the same on feet? Considering buying a pair.

Back
Top Bottom