FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

You ae right

It is cultural. I did some research and it seems to stem from island countries

Haiti...Caribbean...Jamaica.

But they did that because they weren't getting chicken from the supermarket like us.

You ae right

It is cultural. I did some research and it seems to stem from island countries

Haiti...Caribbean...Jamaica.
In the link I posted, it mentioned how people outside of the US might be more prone to pick up chicken from open air markets, or chicken that was hanging out to dry, so they were more likely to wash with vinegars.

I was taught this at an early age and it is just habit.

But you are right, I assume high heats kill the bacteria

she's black...i'm white...
my mom would have a spray bottle of vinegar she used for meats...never heard of "washing" meats though...until i met my wife...

You need to hang around some Jamaicans man.

Vinegars man.

I watch these cooking shows and they never was their chicken. I know there is idea of cross contamination, where folks don't want chicken particles in their sink.

But I use a big pyrex bowl, water and vinegar mixture. Massage and soak

Yeah I don't care what folks say, I can taste the rawness when the chicken isn't cleaned properly.

Actually had a white coworker that didn't really like chicken, told her how we clean it with vinegar and she did it enjoyed it after that.

West Indians clean all their meat with vinegar and/or lemon or lime juice. We let it sit in that mixture with cool water for a few minutes then rinse it off. Never heard of people using dish liquid though.

some of yall think using tap water is gonna clean your chicken? :lol:

Vinegar and lemon juice sure.

Yeah I don't care what folks say, I can taste the rawness when the chicken isn't cleaned properly.

Actually had a white coworker that didn't really like chicken, told her how we clean it with vinegar and she did it enjoyed it after that.
change the taste of it?

Never knew about vinegar, only lime/lemon juice. My grandmother cooks her chicken like that. Might try the vinegar and see what’s up.

Just something acidic, same concept. Wouldn't say it changes the flavor, just removes the rawness and let the flavor of the chicken shine.

Heard it tenderize the meat also.

Indian for lunch today
20180418_131054.jpg
20180418_130728.jpg
20180418_132304.jpg
20180418_134236.jpg

Back
Top Bottom