For people that moved out the parents house...

Good choice?  you struggling now?  I have about $8k saved up in liquid assets...and another $2500 in retirement funds...just wondering when i should move out.  want experiences/advice/suggestions for those that have done it.

right now, all i have is about $400 in student loans per month and a phone bill of $50.

Good choice?  you struggling now?  I have about $8k saved up in liquid assets...and another $2500 in retirement funds...just wondering when i should move out.  want experiences/advice/suggestions for those that have done it.

right now, all i have is about $400 in student loans per month and a phone bill of $50.

If your parents don't bother you and you're not all over each other in terms of living space, I'd say stay and stack $ up as long as you can.

I am 26 and actually just moved back in. I initially only planned to stay until I can find another apartment to move back out into, but again given that I have no problem with my parents and have the whole upstairs to myself, I have cut out about $1000 in monthly expenses so now I'm thinking maybe 2-3 months and looking into owning.

You have enough saved up, but when you first move out is the most expensive because every service is going to charge you an installation fee, deposit fee, turn on fee, security fee and plus you have to stock your fridge and pantries and get furniture and electronics.

If your parents don't bother you and you're not all over each other in terms of living space, I'd say stay and stack $ up as long as you can.

I am 26 and actually just moved back in. I initially only planned to stay until I can find another apartment to move back out into, but again given that I have no problem with my parents and have the whole upstairs to myself, I have cut out about $1000 in monthly expenses so now I'm thinking maybe 2-3 months and looking into owning.

You have enough saved up, but when you first move out is the most expensive because every service is going to charge you an installation fee, deposit fee, turn on fee, security fee and plus you have to stock your fridge and pantries and get furniture and electronics.

im also interested in this topic and have the same issues, but have a hard time saving due to bad spending habits

$0 savings 15k in retirement funds
$800 monthly car expenses, $60 phone bill

im also interested in this topic and have the same issues, but have a hard time saving due to bad spending habits

I was doing fine until I lost my job. 3br with some of my fam like $1350 monthly. I was putting in like $400. Its always best to overestimate than to under. If you know you get tickets you might want to slow it down so your premium doesn't go up on your car. Budget your food, cut coupons..don't go tricking your money on delivery and restaurants all the time etc.

Don't "they" say that your mortgage/rent shouldn't take more than 1/3 from your income?

I was doing fine until I lost my job. 3br with some of my fam like $1350 monthly. I was putting in like $400. Its always best to overestimate than to under. If you know you get tickets you might want to slow it down so your premium doesn't go up on your car. Budget your food, cut coupons..don't go tricking your money on delivery and restaurants all the time etc.

Don't "they" say that your mortgage/rent shouldn't take more than 1/3 from your income?

If you're parents arent forcing you out...then dont..make the move when you feel financially comfortable to support yourself on a consistent basis

No point to force yourself out

If you're parents arent forcing you out...then dont..make the move when you feel financially comfortable to support yourself on a consistent basis

No point to force yourself out

What is your reasoning behind moving out?
You may have the funds (depends where you live but i wouldn't say 8k is enough) but you also have to have a good reason to go. Too many people move out simply because, "I want to live on my own". I always scratch my head at that one. As if living on your own is some sort of feat in and of itself.

You may have the funds (depends where you live but i wouldn't say 8k is enough) but you also have to have a good reason to go. Too many people move out simply because, "I want to live on my own". I always scratch my head at that one. As if living on your own is some sort of feat in and of itself.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

People want to get away from their parents, feel accomplished by having their own home or like they have to because of their age.

People want to get away from their parents, feel accomplished by having their own home or like they have to because of their age.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

People want to get away from their parents, feel accomplished by having their own home or like they have to have to because of their age.
yea, everyone needs their own "me" time at some point of their life

People want to get away from their parents, feel accomplished by having their own home or like they have to have to because of their age.
yea, everyone needs their own "me" time at some point of their life

Originally Posted by Jay Wizzle

%%+ did you buy or lease?  A 50k car yet not saving anything.  Talk about going about things wrong.
sick.gif

%%+ did you buy or lease?  A 50k car yet not saving anything.  Talk about going about things wrong.
sick.gif

I understand people who move out because:

Terrible relationships with their parents
Live in GF/Fiance
Are >30 (sort of arbitrary but 30's kinda old
laugh.gif
)
Moving into a long term home
Have an occupation where they make nice coin. Not just decent.

I think leaving home early is a US thing. In other parts of the world kids are expected to stay until they get married and even then they live with the 'rents for the first few years.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

sick.gif
Does that 800 includes gas and insurance

I understand people who move out because:

Terrible relationships with their parents
Live in GF/Fiance
Are >30 (sort of arbitrary but 30's kinda old
laugh.gif
)
Moving into a long term home
Have an occupation where they make nice coin. Not just decent.

I think leaving home early is a US thing. In other parts of the world kids are expected to stay until they get married and even then they live with the 'rents for the first few years.

Back
Top Bottom