FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DON'T KNOW: THE BIBLE SAYS WE SHOULDN'T GET TATTOOS

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

tumblr_llfbx4C8gQ1qa8kuao1_500.jpg

pimp.gif

continue the discussion
nerd.gif
He should have did his eyelids, it just does not look complete.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Of course you won't answer this since you know where I am going with this.

But for you religious folks, do you admit to picking and chosing the "rules" you will and won't follow?
yea yea, whats up?

But for you law abiding folks, do you admit to picking and chosing the "laws" you will and won't follow?

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Hardcore #$$##, my grandma copped me this outfit from Nigeria with the fly swatter to match I'm debating rocking it to a club some day

Will be watching

Originally Posted by cartune

But for you law abiding folks, do you admit to picking and chosing the "laws" you will and won't follow?
What laws would those be?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

Religion has done more harm than good.
I don't know of any true good religion has done.

I know of many horribly wrong things brought upon by religion.

Religion claims things that have since been proven wrong, but most people still refuse to accept things..

In real life, hardly anyone knows I'm this way. 

If you're still reading my post, I have a story for you..

Ok so my mom is at our next door neighbors house during a little party they were having. Young couple, around 30ish I think. They tell her how I'm such a nice guy, good kid, good with their daughter (she's like 3.) My mom's flattered of course, she brags a little telling them how she's proud because I want to get involved in some humanitarian work and go volunteer in other countries and stuff.. 

Well they recommend me go down to the church (which I still would do to help, but that's not the point.) My mother having had some drinks blurts out, "Oh no my kids are damb atheists!" and starts laughing. Well they look at each other with disgust and confusion. She notices instantly, and says something like "No, I'm joking, but they (me and my bro) are sick in the head and would freak out church folks." And laughs it off a little.. to make it seem I'm not that way.

Anyway.. just 2 seconds before that, they loved me, they said I'm the nicest kid ever, blah blah and all that. But now since I don't share their faith, or have a faith at all, I'm suddenly a bad person. Makes no sense to me, but hey, what can you do..

It's funny though.. the ones who believe, or claim to, are considered completely normal. If your not religious, your the psycho one, ironic aye?

Just thought I'd share from my perspective, carry on..
thanks for sharing your personal experience, appreciated.
it's far too common, I've been alienated and ostracized by religious folks (friends and family) both while when I was religious and simply didn't share the same faith as some of my friends and since I decided to be true to myself and honest with others about not having any faith at all.

people are really very ignorant and closed minded, yet they don't even abide by the guidelines in their own religion. Most religions tell you to be tolerant and accepting of other people's beliefs (though admittedly many are against "non-believers 
eyes.gif
). 

Religion is polarizing in so many ways. I personally believe if religion and race never existed (race isn't a real thing, we are all the HUMAN RACE, people are just too %%+%+%% stupid to realize this). It just saddens me how we choose to draw lines in the sand and bicker about our differences instead of seeing the bigger picture. If there is a God he's above all this classifying and fighting. I highly doubt that an omnipotent being would be so narcissistic that it would concern itself with us adhering to these archaic systems of faith we fight and kill each other over, that we hate each other over. 

However human beings are too petty and self-centered to realize this. We're all into ourselves and "our peoples". I realized along time ago that everything that I was raised to be wasn't necessarily the right path for me and didn't necessarily mean that what I was taught was right. 

Ionno, I'm over it. I've lost all faith in humanity. %+@% all ya'll. 

What gets me about ppl hounding sillyputty for posting in threads with this topic is they're never in the threads he posts that have nothing to do with this topic (outside of the die hard obsessed posters who hate him for w/e reason). In the end, you purposely come in to these threads to complain about logical thorough rational posts and cry about being targeted or set up a straw man as defense and never address the actual things being discussed.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

What gets me about ppl hounding sillyputty for posting in threads with this topic is they're never in the threads he posts that have nothing to do with this topic (outside of the die hard obsessed posters who hate him for w/e reason). In the end, you purposely come in to these threads to complain about logical thorough rational posts and cry about being targeted or set up a straw man as defense and NEVER address the actual things being discussed.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Oh and I just used the ignore option. 
pimp.gif

You made an entire thread about "trolls" and then you come in here and post your opinion then have the audacity to "ignore" users.

Hilarious. ...and sad at the same time.

You complain about free speech but you can't handle it. 

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

I agree.  My point is do you really think you're going to convince somebody that their faith isn't real?  Especially over a messageboard dedicated to sneakers?  Like really think about that for a second.

It's cool people want to discuss religion.  But when you have people who's mission is to prove there is no God it gets old.  It would get old if we had members that were trying to convert people to Islam or Christianity every single chance they got. 

You ever heard the saying "don't discuss religion and politics"?  They say that because people for the most part don't change.  They believe what they believe and you can't post memes or videos to change that.  You can't. So yes it does hit close to home for some people.  The thing is we have non-believers who seem to be more butt hurt about people having faith than believers being butt hurt.  That's the interesting thing.  There's discussion and then there's attacks on people's lifestyle.  One is cool and the other isn't.

Also think about this.  A person who tries to convert those to his/her religion feel like they are doing the right thing.  They feel like they are saving a life and helping.  What pleasure or benefit does one get out of proving there's no God?  What makes you feel better knowing you just convinced one more person to stop believing?  Your church doesn't gain a member.  What's the joy in it?  Oh the joy is showing people how much smarter and advanced you are right?  Is that the joy?  The joy of feeling superior because you don't believe? Why can't you have that joy without attacking religion? 

Actually this is about being a know-it-all who believes they are "better" than others which actually has nothing to do with religion.

You're getting hung up on this idea that non-believers are trying to be better or smarter or something. That's not the case. I get no personal satisfaction from questioning a person on why they believe in a deity. It's never a "Haha, look at this dumb believer." It's usually more of a "How does an otherwise reasonable person honestly believe that the world was once flooded by god and that an old man built a big ship that housed two of every animal on the planet?" I do feel a sense of relief when I find people that actually ARE open-minded enough to question their own beliefs. You can't say that people don't change or question their beliefs because of these discussions because we have seen it happen already. People HAVE changed due to these discussions. In threads prior, people have come out and said that they no longer feel as sure of their beliefs as they once did or that they never were that sure to begin with and were able to take the next step of not believing at all.

I have a problem feeling sympathetic for believers who feel like they're being attacked because 1) you guys are the clear majority in this country, 2) if your beliefs and convictions were so strong, wouldn't you be able to logically and reasonably counter these attacks? 3) not being able to logically and reasonably counter said attacks shrinks the sphere of power ascribed to this god (and a part of me feels a lot of the believers here KNOW that.) It also helps that I feel that religion is detrimental to society. So there's that too.
There's a clear difference between trying to dispel a myth and trying to convert someone towards a belief. 

Some people do go about it as a discussion.  Others don't.  

There seems to be a major connection between your emotional perception of an argument. Even if arguments don't include personal attacks and slurs, as yours often do, then they are still not "a discussion"

You have a hard time separating someone "attacking" you from them expressing their views. 

I commend you if thats how you carry it.  But some people are on a high horse.

No one has chastised you  and I've been looking for it...but thats my perception.
Maybe its only your opinion and bias that makes you think you're being victimized. Maybe if you looked it at from other perspectives you'd see that its an issue with how you iew things. Not that someone is "attacking" you. 

Even then if people acted as if they were on a high horse, would that change whatever they had to say?

The thing is people's beliefs go beyond logic. 

And this is a good reason to keep them in your eyes?

Wrong.
Humans do things for reasons you can't explain and they will believe it.
I try to have reasons for the things I do. If I can't find reasons for them or explain them then I do not do them. Simple.
I'm not Ayn Rand, but dammit do I try to be as objectionable as possible (yes I realize the faults in her ultimate premise).

So yes a man can be responsible, intelligent, and all that but believe in something he can see.

Thats not being rational.
If that were true, then every superhero in comic books would exist.

Thats inside of him and you can't change that.

Stop making excuses for irrationality. This has no place in the rational human being. Its like saying we should tolerate mass delusion because its personal.
Who cares? I don't want my tax dollars and children's education going towards the propagation of storys and myths. 

I'm not sure why you would even care if he wasn't harming you. 

Are you saying religion doesn't impact me as a non-believer?
You know what doesn't impact me as a non-believer? Spiderman Movies. Alien Conspiracies. Big Foot.

You know what does?

Your inane belief in a god. 

I don't think I need to go any further. I think you get the point. 

If you believe religion is detrimental to society thats different than just not caring for religion. 

True. And I happen to share both opinions. 
If you think its detrimental then thats the reason you choose to convert those to becoming non-believers.  At least you own up to it tho.  

Well are you saying that if something is detrimental then I should support it? Are you saying I should be ashamed of saying something is bad for society? The hell? 
I didn't convert to being a non-believer. I was born one. Just like you, before someone made you learn about the judeochristian one. 

And I'm not sure how you don't understand the sneakerboard comment. 

I'm not sure you undertand what a "General" board is.
People take religion very serious.

So, what? 
There's no way a person they never met can convert them to changing their views.

There wouldn't be as many open non-believers now if it wasn't for the internet making it possible for hidden groups of people to connect and express their views.
So yes, its entirely possible. 

And my NT inbox gets flooded with people asking me for more information on religion and secular content. I don't want to brag but if you're going to make these sorts of assumptions at least back them up. You should learn to stop making up statistics as if that means something...especially when they're wrong.

Especially over NIKETALK.

If I was a general user of this site, I would be offended that you assume everyone you run across can handle talking about subjects they find important to them. 
I bet you think NTers aren't mature enough to talk about politics and the economy like they do on the first page.

Where are you with your big stick beating people over the head then? 

If the thread bothers you...LEAVE. Simple.  

I could see if this was ChristTalk or something. 

Yeah, or "Help me get into the NBATalk"
You don't get it, do you?

NT isn't just for you. Its for anyone to talk about  (mod's permitting) anything.  If we talk about something you don't agree with, then TOUGH. Move on. There are more opinions in the world than your own. 

The world doesn't end at the tip of your nose.

For the most part people aren't going to take what they read here that seriously.  

Again, another made up point by the pseudo-statistician
You're dangerous because you just KEEP MAKING THINGS UP.

I'm not annoyed that you keep complaining, i'm just perturbed that you keep making data up then asserting it as universally true. Its disappointing that you have to just assume so many things to get your point across...that you can't even back up.

I'm pretty sure we can agree on that. 

No, we can't. You just made that up because you assume you're the only mature one on NT. 
Would you take somebody's opinion or info about some House of Hoops releases on BaptistSplash.com forums as the gospel?   Ehhh probably not.

Yeah, I would if there was a topic dedicated to sports and sneaker discussions. 
On top of that, if you don't think religious discussions belong on NT, then what does belong on NT? And why are you in discussion you don't agree with? 

Oh wait, you hit the ignore button. How mature... 
grin.gif

From experience I've found the saying that "misery likes company" too be all too true.

And the NT atheist legion has to be the most miserable bunch of misfits I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

From experience I've found the saying that "misery likes company" too be all too true.

And the NT atheist legion has to be the most miserable bunch of misfits I've ever seen.

um? I'm a part of the "athiest "legion" " aka satanist and from your experience every atheist eats bar b que children and their placentas cause you're biased

-I have food
-I have water
-I have a family loves me
smile.gif

-I am in the profession that is my life's dream
-what exactly do i have to be miserable about---aside from working too hard?
nerd.gif
and first world problems?

Cries about thinking God is the father of people like Bill O Reilly, George Bush and every slave master that has ever lived

next time your argument should be about how atheists are always committing crime instead of reading books

I should go back in time to give black slaves a bible just so I can separate myself from the misfits of early American history, maybe join the Mormons and preach that negros and the red man are cursed by Yahweh's wrath

I'm miserable because...what?

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Because you're not filled with the Lord, bro. 
laugh.gif

My girls mom is a pastor, from St. Louis (bible belt) and she stopped being "brainwashed" as she puts it. Flash forward to a few days ago...Her God Sister hits her with the "you're going to hell, your soul is damned" because she no longer subscribes to being a Christian 
roll.gif

Thats a great message to convey. 

Originally Posted by BrotherForReal

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Because you're not filled with the Lord, bro. 
laugh.gif

My girls mom is a pastor, from St. Louis (bible belt) and she stopped being "brainwashed" as she puts it. Flash forward to a few days ago...Her God Sister hits her with the "you're going to hell, your soul is damned" because she no longer subscribes to being a Christian 
roll.gif

Thats a great message to convey. 

Side-note: 
Girls that don't have the religious guilt bone in them are way more "in tune" with themselves...ya know? 

Doubtful. 
laugh.gif
 My life is pretty awesome. Final year of college, no financial burdens (yet 
frown.gif
), travel about twice a year, and I live in San Diego with 75 degree winters.
Best of all, I've stopped living life shackled to the idea that there's some invisible "lord" watching my every move, judging my every action, and having to feel guilty about breaking archaic laws written down in a POS book. 

The funny thing about it is how people assume yo worship the Devil because you denounce Religion. I don't think people honestly understand the difference in religion and spirituality. I can not think religion is good for this earth and not be a worshiper of The Devil.

Also what I get from these threads is people spend too much time attacking the posting styles and frequency (when it comes to this topic) of Antwan and Putty. Instead of discussing the topic, they attack the poster. I forgot which fallacy that was but Truth did it a few pages back. He does it in any "argument" he is in. Just watch. Thats my dude but you gotta cut that out man.

Grim,
Can you explain this a little more? Why exactly do you feel people are miserable?

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Doubtful. 
laugh.gif
 My life is pretty awesome. Final year of college, no financial burdens (yet 
frown.gif
), travel about twice a year, and I live in San Diego with 75 degree winters.
Best of all, I've stopped living life shackled to the idea that there's some invisible "lord" watching my every move, judging my every action, and having to feel guilty about breaking archaic laws written down in a POS book. 

I think thats part of the problem.
Theres no respect.

I wouldnt call myself an atheist...Im probably closer to agnostic but I think there is something disrespectful about calling it a "POS book". 

Its unnecessary and it does nothing to bridge that disconnect between the believers and the non-believers.

Back
Top Bottom