Funkmaster Flex disses Jay-Z live on HOT 97 + Jay-Z buying HOT 97?

I ended having to go get a bootleg copy of this after I bought my real copy because it had this on it along with Anything, Is that Yo Chick, and the real track order

Thank goodness for the Internet and iPods allowing me to edit album tracks and whatnot cause this is 
smokin.gif

its hard to find on itunes.. just change your country to anything but the US and you can purchase it there.. or ebay.. (this is why i love phyiscal copies)

Vol. 1 with the Sunshine video...

laugh.gif

I Know What Girls Like...
mean.gif

Vol. 1 was trash...man who was really around when that dropped?

Last edited:
I'm going to start saying, It Was Written wasn't received well because it wasn't Illmatic :nthat:

I don't follow your sarcastic post or see the correlation.

Illmatic - didn't sell well, deemed a classic.
IWW - sold well, big singles and great reviews. Many said it was damn near classic.

RD - overlooked, didn't sell well and didn't get much praise until years later
Vol 1 - commercial attempt after RD goes unnoticed and doesn't sell. Album gets pretty bad reviews and doesn't sell as expected.

I don't see anything similar about their releases or early careers.

I ended having to go get a bootleg copy of this after I bought my real copy because it had this on it along with Anything, Is that Yo Chick, and the real track order

Thank goodness for the Internet and iPods allowing me to edit album tracks and whatnot cause this is 
smokin.gif

its hard to find on itunes.. just change your country to anything but the US and you can purchase it there.. or ebay.. (this is why i love phyiscal copies)

You know what I want? The BP1 with the Blue case. Friend of mine posted a pic on Instagram of her throwing away a bunch of old CD cases away and that was in there. When I asked her to get it for me the said she wasnt going to dig in the trash for me 
mean.gif

There's a 101 albums better than IWW

nerd.gif
i liked it was written.. but which cd version physical copy has silent murder on itl. i remember it being on the tapes but i know alot of the imports have silent murder on it but havent gotten lucky yet.

IWW - sold well, big singles and great reviews. Many said it was damn near classic.

Vol 1 - commercial attempt after RD goes unnoticed and doesn't sell. Album gets pretty bad reviews and doesn't sell as expected.

Reasonable Doubt went gold. :lol:

Why did Def Jam want to sign him?

I considered Reasonable Doubt a classic then.

It's comical you keep insulting peoples age and knowledge, while displaying a lack of it.

You continuously mentioning sales shows it. Do you know how much 2Pacalaypse Now sold? Why, nobody cared.

Damn man, there cannot be a Jay-Z discussion without Nas slander. I swear. :lol:

Annnnd IWW is catching heat? :rofl: Trackmasters laced that album. You dudes are sleep.

Reasonable Doubt went gold. :lol:

Why did Def Jam want to sign him?

I considered Reasonable Doubt a classic then.

It's comical you keep insulting peoples age and knowledge, while displaying a lack of it.

You continuously mentioning sales shows it. Do you know how much 2Pacalaypse Now sold? Why, nobody cared.

You called it a classic back then??? I find this HARD AS HELL to believe. I was in NY when that album came out. This album made very little noise back then because there were so many other bigger names and albums releasing that year. and it took a long time to go gold. That's why Vol 1 was mad commercial, for bigger sales. Sales don't tell how great an album was but it can tell the impact and the peak of that rapper. So continue with your condescending posts, I could care less but cats that were old enough around that time and on the east coast all know the impact of both those albums

Vol. 1 really wasn't well received, at least not by the streets anyways at the time.

RD was a commercial flop, it dropped 4-5 singles before being certified and this was at a time when singles were going gold. Jay switched up to try and sell records. Puff on the boards, a shiny suited fish lense Hype video and him claiming that the "city was his" right after Big died and everyone knew the city was really Big's. Those things left a bad taste in a lot of ppl's mouths. It was one of those joints that when you looked passed the smoke and mirrors of its attempted crossover appeal, it still had enough heat that it was better appreciated years later.

Let's see, Big L releases Lifestyles Of The Poor... What major label album did he release after that?

Jay-Z releases a "flop" and not only does Def Jam pick him up, but Rocafella in a 50/50

But it was a flop, right?

Hilarious stuff :lol:

Who's better, KRS, Rakim or Kane...well LL sold more so...

Rap fans :smh:

I remember reasonable doubt real well and it def did not sell well at first, few ppl was bumpin jay at that time but my bros and i were always a great cd in my book

Nobody cared about sales.

How much did Wu Tang sell?

How about Black Moon?

You know how much did Midnight Mauraders sell?

Did people determine what was better between Doggystyle and and The Chronic because of who sold what?

Like I always say, rap fans are ****** stupid. Rap fans are the only fans of any genre of music that equate sells with anything of significance.

That's like bragging that a sneaker sold out in 10 seconds.

Last edited:
Did not get deemed a classic til years later tho where as illmatic was classic immediately. I think Illmatic is far greater but Reasonable doubt is classic too. Rumor has it Jay reached out to Nas when he was making his debut but nas was a lil too busy and couldnt collab. If only they woulda been able to collab smh. woulda been a good track im sure. i thought after they did black republican at least an EP with both would come after but eh

Nobody cared about sales.

How much did Wu Tang sell?

How about Black Moon?

You know how much did Midnight Mauraders sell?

Did people determine what was better between Doggystyle and and The Chronic because of who sold what?

Like I always say, rap fans are ****** stupid. Rap fans are the only fans of any genre of music that equate sells with anything of significance.

That's like bragging that a sneaker sold out in 10 seconds.
Exactly! Sales dont mean nuffin at all in my book. The Marshall Mathers LP and maybe a few others have the sales to match the music, very rare that ever happens

Did not get deemed a classic til years later tho where as illmatic was classic immediately. I think Illmatic is far greater but Reasonable doubt is classic too. Rumor has it Jay reached out to Nas when he was making his debut but nas was a lil too busy and couldnt collab. If only they woulda been able to collab smh. woulda been a good track im sure. i thought after they did black republican at least an EP with both would come after but eh
Rumor has it??? :lol:
That gets brought up in every Nas and jay thread bruh
The beginning of jay being salty at nas :lol:

View media item 1365258VOL 1 was nice but not a classic at all I was in 6th grade when it dropped...My big brother worked in a MUSIC STORE back then so I remember that album very well...My brother loved that album but SUNSHINE over shadowed that album cause it was the so called "JIGGY ERA/SHINY SUIT ERA"....JAY got alot of heat for that video people laughed at him...The album really flew under the radar & so did REASONABLE DOUBT....My 5th grade yr I had the single "DEAD PRESIDENTS part "1 on CASSETTE....I always listened to JAY but to me I never looked at him as a TOP DOG in rap until THE BLUEPRINT.....Dudes got to realize from 95'-00' there was so much music out there man so nobody really focused on JAY like that....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom