FX's ATLANTA (Starring Donald Glover) S4 Final episode

Atlanta is not just Snow On The Bluff that's not a real representation of the city either. If the show was just about that then we still would complain about how it portrays the city as poor where we only robbing people & selling dope. No one from Atlanta is really ever going to be all the way happy with how the city is portrayed. Just enjoy the show.

Exactly...

the only thing i was mad about is when PB and Darius said they had to roll to Buford Hwy for the drug deal and were actually posted up in East Atlanta Village.

the only thing i was mad about is when PB and Darius said they had to roll to Buford Hwy for the drug deal and were actually posted up in East Atlanta Village.
Now you crying about locations based on dialogue?

Let me ask you how many shows and movies actually film on those streets? On Buford Highway?

This is like me complaining about a show called Brooklyn and when a character claims he's going to go to Brownsville but they actually filmed it in Bushwick :lol: On some anal attention to detail bull ****.

Guess what? Just cuz a show gets to film in your city doesn't mean the whole damn city is the film set. They just don't get free reign b.

That dude in here thinkinin don glover gon create some type of gritty crime drama in the trenches of the ATL :lol: :smh: ...not everybody in Atlanta acts a certain way and he keep talking bout all the poor folks like that city ain't known as one of the places where alotta black ppl gettin real money n ballin , Atlanta ain't Detroit or Camden

Donald's already said from the jump that his show wasn't gonna be like that, but some dudes here only want things one way s/o Marlo

"It's the part of Atlanta I don't think that people show because it's not 'interesting' to people," Glover said, making air quotes. "I put that in quotes because it's not the part of Atlanta that's been proven to sell. And I felt like I just knew there was a hunger for Atlanta s--- like that, but nobody had really figured out how to sell it. And I was like, I know how to sell it. It needs to just feel like you're black, you know?"

FX was supportive of Glover’s vision, even if it didn’t always get it. An original suggestion from the network was for Paper Boi to live in a home as run-down and “traplike” as possible. “We were like, ‘No, he’s a drug dealer, he makes enough money to live in a regular apartment,’ ” Glover said. “There were some things so subtle and black that people had no idea what we were talking about.” One actor purposefully delivered his line in a drawl that was nearly indecipherable if you didn’t grow up in Atlanta. “After three takes, Hiro took me aside and was like, ‘I don’t know what he’s saying.’ To Hiro, this ***** is speaking patois.” Glover laughed. “That character is an artifact. Culturally, we’re becoming very homogenized. That dude isn’t going to be around in seven years. You aren’t going to be able to find him. White people are moving into Bankhead,” one of the historically blackest neighborhoods in Atlanta. Glover paused. “It’s important that dude gets represented in this show.”

Glover’s been thinking about this sense of place for a while. “I needed people to understand I see Atlanta as a beautiful metaphor for black people,” he said to me when I interviewed him last year. In other words, the city — encompassing Martin Luther King Jr., Aquemini, Freaknik, Madea, Gucci Mane, a cluster of historically black colleges, the legacy of Jim Crow, the legacy of the Black Mafia Family, extreme black poverty, 40-plus years of black mayors, extreme black wealth, and perhaps America’s largest black middle class — is an ideal laboratory to explore the true variety of the black experience.

nah they gotta find Fabo with his white frame shades. 

"Scotty beam me up, i wanna fly morning, none, and night...geeked up, geeked up."

:pimp:

Fabo
tumblr_inline_naf2vgmZ5o1rk4p6f.gif

Make a comeback already. This era could be yours :smh:

That sums it up pretty well imo. Atlanta is a place that encompasses a lot when it comes to the black community.

As far as making the show seem more authentic, it would be great to figure out where the show's writers are from. We know DG is from out here, but I don't know about the rest of their team. If they wanted to explore a more authentic feel, they'd do well to pick up some of the local talent out here for the second season.

Now you crying about locations based on dialogue?

Let me ask you how many shows and movies actually film on those streets? On Buford Highway?

This is like me complaining about a show called Brooklyn and when a character claims he's going to go to Brownsville but they actually filmed it in Bushwick :lol: On some anal attention to detail bull ****.

Guess what? Just cuz a show gets to film in your city doesn't mean the whole damn city is the film set. They just don't get free reign b.

Gucc might actually take that to heart, but i was being facetious.

i love the show. could care less about how other Atlantans feel. we are too diverse of a city to please everyone.

Glover said. “There were some things so subtle and black that people had no idea what we were talking about.” One actor purposefully delivered his line in a drawl that was nearly indecipherable if you didn’t grow up in Atlanta. “After three takes, Hiro took me aside and was like, ‘I don’t know what he’s saying.’ To Hiro, this ***** is speaking patois.” Glover laughed.
I'm dying :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There should just be a show of 2 producers trying to get shows made and then we go through the wild **** of scouting locations, casting auditions, suggestions from the network, other producers on script, and dealing with directors :lol:

Last edited:
I'm dying :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There should just be a show of 2 producers trying to get shows made and then we go through the wild **** of scouting locations, casting auditions, suggestions from the network, other producers on script, and deal8my with directors :lol:

Cats would be mad saying that the filming of the filming isn't authentic.

We shouldn't settle for "good enough" when it comes to authenticity with shows though. The wire is one of my favorite shows....but they missed a part of inner city Baltimore culture that could've made the show even better than it was.

I mean, Look at Fargo. They can capture the essence, look, feel, dialogue, accents and time periods of that show. That's part of what adds an extra layer of realism and authenticity to the show, and makes it so great. It's ok for locals to have healthy criticism.

We can't settle for that. Imagine how NYC cats would feel if TI played a dude born and raised from Harlem in a movie....without even attempting to change his accent :lol:.

Atlanta gets a lot of things right. But it's perfectly fine to be critical of things on the margins.

We shouldn't settle for "good enough" when it comes to authenticity with shows though. The wire is one of my favorite shows....but they missed a part of inner city Baltimore culture that could've made the show even better than it was.

I mean, Look at Fargo. They can capture the essence, look, feel, dialogue, accents and time periods of that show. That's part of what adds an extra layer of realism and authenticity to the show, and makes it so great. It's ok for locals to have healthy criticism.

We can't settle for that. Imagine how NYC cats would feel if TI played a dude born and raised from Harlem in a movie....without even attempting to change his accent :lol:.

Atlanta gets a lot of things right. But it's perfectly fine to be critical of things on the margins.

I'm genuinely curious as to what The Wire missed that could have made the show even better....explain.

How do you know how authentic Fargo was? Lets wait until some Fargo and Great Lakes NTers criticize that show first :nerd:

We already know TI can't act so we would know from jump it's a comedy.
[quote name="JJs07" url="/t/652509/fxs-atlanta-starring-donald-glover-tuesdays-at-10-pm/700_100#post_26]
I'm genuinely curious as to what The Wire missed that could have made the show even better....explain.[/quote]
I didn't want to get in to it but plenty Bmore NTers and even others notice not all of the clothing is on point and half the cast is speaking with NYC accents :lol: Its well covered in The Wire thread. A few other complaints as well. There were like 3 legit Bmore accents and dudes using the lingo on the show with like one or 2 Bmore dudes having supporting or minor roles.

Don't know how much better it would be with those few changes given how great the show already was and I doubt it would have made the last season any less of a letdown.

Last edited:
I worked with guys from Duluth and Fargo and they hate Fargo because how it made them look. I did the accents all the time to mess with them :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom