GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL THREAD- Recap

WASHINGTON (AP) -Roy Hibbert is really going to miss college life. If the NCAA offered a fifth year of eligibility, it's easy to get the feeling theGeorgetown center would take it - and postpone the trappings of the NBA yet again.

Because when Hibbert does turn pro, he'll leave behind the late nights he and the rest of the Hoyas seniors spent in point guard Jonathan Wallace'sroom just talking. Gone will be the days when he can sit next to what he calls "random people'' on campus and spontaneously start a conversation.He'll no longer get to take fascinating classes like his current favorite, black nationalism, for a degree in government that has him thinking aboutrunning for office someday.
Click here to find out more!

And wherever he winds up in the NBA, it's doubtful Hibbert will be able to get together with Georgetown teammate Tyler Crawford for a game of Halo on Xbox.

"The two of us versus everybody else,'' Hibbert said. "I wouldn't have been able to get that chance if I left to go to the NBA last year.That's one of the things I'll remember.''

In that sense, Hibbert is just like many college seniors who hate the thought of leaving the friends and familiarity of campus for the responsibilities of theworking world. Unlike most of those kids, however, Hibbert is 7-foot-2 and could be making a hefty salary right now if he had followed former Georgetownteammate Jeff Green to the NBA last year.

"He's absorbing all of the college life,'' Wallace said. "Everybody wants to go for the early money, but Roy saw the bigger picture.It's all about developing both athletically and academically. Roy takes a lot of pride in that.''

It's only recently begun to dawn on Hibbert that he is in his final days as a basketball player on the Hilltop. He and the Hoyas, the No. 2 seed in theMidwest Regional, will face Maryland-Baltimore County on Friday in the first game of his final NCAA tournament. The goal, of course, is to win the nationalchampionship, completing the task left undone last year when Georgetown reached the Final Four but lost to Ohio State.

"I want to get in as much time as I can with these guys before we have to depart, before basketball gets really serious and we have to talk aboutcontracts and stuff,'' Hibbert said. "Hopefully, we can go out with a bang.''

If college is about growing up, Hibbert has spent his four years well. He arrived as a stiff, awkward-looking freshman who, by his own admission, didn'tthink he would have to work very hard because he was so tall.

"I remember the first workouts of his freshman year, we had him out here just working on moving. 'Let's go from this end of the floor to that endof the floor and see if we can pick our feet off the ground,''' coach John Thompson III said.

"But he's grown up. He was a 17-year-old freshman that was unsure of himself on the floor, off the floor, that's been teased all hislife,'' Thompson said. "It's not like Roy came in the door with the same confidence, with the same swagger, with the same accolades thatPatrick (Ewing), Alonzo (Mourning) and most of the other people in our league came in with. ... You've seen on the floor and off the floor his maturationand growth.''

Now it's time for Hibbert to lead the Hoyas toward an NCAA title, something that's easier said than done.

Green was the undisputed leader last season, a role that fit his personality, but Hibbert has a softer demeanor that can look out of place when the Hoyas needa spark. It's not that he is incapable of turning it on, but it might take a raging fire lit under him - like when he scored a season-high 25 points inlast week's Big East tournament semifinals one day after foul trouble limited him to zero points in the quarterfinals.

"He's understanding and has a sense of what is necessary for us to win,'' Thompson said. "At times that's to be more aggressive, moreassertive than he is by nature.''

If Hibbert has trouble being assertive, he could be in trouble in the career he's eying for his post-basketball days. He'd love to dabble in politics -he's having a ball watching Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton battle for the 2008 Democratic nomination - and was nicknamed "Governor''by a teammate at last summer's Pan Am Games.

Hibbert has joked about running for president as a Democrat, with Alabama-native Wallace as his running mate so that they could carry the Southern states.

Lately, however, Hibbert has had a change of heart.

"I'm nice. Jon's a charming young chap,'' Hibbert said. "I'll let him be at the top of the ticket. He can do all the work, andI'll just go to funerals.''

So I think our draw is decent.......but we'll just see how it turns out.

No matter what happens, it's been an incredible 4 years with this senior class.

t1_cover0324.jpg

pimp.gif

(has a great piece on JT3 and pops that I posted too)

I'm not sure...

I probably said he was more skilled...and I would stand by that.

I was sayin Jeff Green was better than everyone last year tho.

It's not so much about him lacking, but rather what Roy can do a t 7'2.

I do think Hansbrough needs to develop some traditional post moves and work on his footcourt. Putting the ball on the floor would help to.

Now, Roy doesn't have his rebounding ability or motor...and that's what puts Hansbrough over the top.

But Roy's passing, post moves, ability to use his left hand, putting the ball on the floor....makes him more skilled, imo.

didn't we learn anything from last year? GO BACK TO THE OLD SHOES! as much as i love those grey 15s, we need to put those things away. we looked o.k today.summers with another missed dunks, you can make a highlight reel just for all the dunks hes missed in the past 5 games. bring on davidson.

didn't we learn anything from last year? GO BACK TO THE OLD SHOES! as much as i love those grey 15s, we need to put those things away. we looked o.k today.summers with another missed dunks, you can make a highlight reel just for all the dunks hes missed in the past 5 games. bring on davidson.

I didn't see much today, but seemed like your typical 15/2 game.

Sunday will be interesting, It looks like we play at 1

Prepare yourselves for Rivers on Sunday

He'll get the Curry assignment for a decent amount....and I think he'll do well

Earlier this season, John Thompson III was asked by a reporter what he considered his three most memorable wins of his tenure at Georgetown to date. The 2007regional final win over UNC was cited, as was the Big East title win over Pitt. The third game surprised the reporter, though.

Thompson cited his first road win of his Georgetown career, traveling to Davidson in the third game of the 2004-05 season. And while the senior classes ofthese respective schools are a combined 198-66 in games over their four years, one class ends today, and one moves on.

Davidson College has long been a sentimental favorite among North Carolina college fans, so they are expected to earn its share of supporters among the TarHeel fans waiting for its second round game later in the day. Never afraid to play the larger schools in the state, the Wildcats are a well coached andefficient team: in losses to three of the state's ACC schools, a one point loss to NC State, four to UNC, and six to Duke emphasize that this is more thana one man team.

That's not to underestimate the work of Stephen Curry in piloting the Wildcats to the verge of its first regionals appearance in 39 years. Curry is on hisway to obliterating the Davidson record books, on pace for a 3,000 point career, and, by comparison, has scored more in his first two seasons than AllenIverson did a decade ago at Georgetown. His eight threes and 40 points piloted the Wildcats past Gonzaga begs two questions: can he do it against thenation's top ranked defense, and if not, who else will step up to do so?

Davidson has been very good for a number of years under Bob McKillop, who has turned down his share of offers to remain in the still quiet town on the edge ofthe Charlotte sprawl. Curry's scoring elevated the Wildcats in 2007-08 to a perfect 20-0 Southern Conference record en route to conference tournament winsby 33, 30, and 16 points, respectively.

Fans need to pay attention to Curry, but also to point guard Jason Richards (12.7 ppg), averaging 35 minutes a game with a 43% shooting average. He is not anactive outside shooter (about four a game) but his seven assists a game drive the ability for Curry and others to get points on the board.

With so much production from the guards, less attention is paid to a capable Davidson front line. Like UMBC, Davidson is small, but they carry more bulk andcan make things difficult if georgetown gets lazy inside. Small forward Max Paulhus-Gosselin may not be a major factor, but a pair of 6-8 frontmen, ThomasSander (7.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg), and Andrew Lovedale (6.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg) may be. Sander had an off game against Gonzaga but Lovedale pulled down 13 rebounds in thewin.

Like any "underdog" game, Georgetown needs to keep a safe distance ahead by playing to it sd strengths--defense, rebounding, and eliminating secondchance opportunities. Other keys to the game?

Keys to the game:
1. The Second Option: Georgetown will try to contain Curry, but also to contain DC's next option should Curry not be productive. This could be Lovedale.Conversely, Davidson will look to work Roy Hibbert inside and DaJuan Summers must step up his offensive production at this stage of the season.
2. Rebounds: This may be the last game this season where Georgetown will own a significant height advantage--use it.
3. Points off Turnovers:Davidson may try to force Georgetown into some of the mistakes that hurt in in mid-February, particularly in cross-court passes. TheWildcats forced Gonzaga into 19 turnovers and Georgetown cannot afford to be as generous.

For Davidson to win, Curry goes for 28 or more, the Wildcats hit 12 threes, and shuts down Roy Hibbert via fouls or a stout defense. Georgetown's keys tovictory remain with its senior strength on offense and a strong defensive effort by Jessie Sapp. No Georgetown senior class has ever been th three straightregionals, and Sunday offers a good chance to make some history in this regard.

Huge game. Please keep feeding Roy tomorrow. Easy points. Own the boards and don't turn it over.

Get big, do work...beat the Wildcats

Garbage...we're garbage. How do you blow a 17 point lead to a team that uses 1 kid to score!?!?!?

[Rips Bracket paper]

This game was so unfair

Curry really fouled out with like 3 minutes to go but the Refs held their whistles. They called so many unnecessary fouls on G'Town down the stretch.

Then I got to thinkin...NC fans cheered hard and the Refs wasn't givin G'Town any calls....This game just determined who will be going to the FinalFour....NORTH CAROLINA

This was the year Jeff Green was needed...Everyone looked scared to score and wasn't even lookin to throw it to Roy who had little kids on him

Curry isn't all that...look who was on him...Doc's son was gettin schooled

Doc's son is a chump. He's there for one job and he can't even do that correctly. In his defense, Curry can shoot the lights out.

Man what a way to end the season. Garbage effort. Garbage coaching. Garbage basketball

Back
Top Bottom