Ginuwine Refused To Kiss A Trans Woman On Live TV And Now The Internet Is At War

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it shameful that we can't seem to host a discussion on NikeTalk that in any way involves a transgender person without receiving a barrage of derogatory and insulting comments about trans people in general. That members of the trans community wish to be treated as equals poses no threat to your own sexuality or "masculinity."

Deray McKesson is right. Strength does not come from our sexuality, gender, or race. True strength comes from character - and I wish more of us would demonstrate it in moments like these.

Consent should be considered a basic human right. No one should feel entitled to force themselves on you, even if they're out to somehow make a point.

We can acknowledge and respect that while, at the same time, admitting that the tendency to shun trans people for simply being trans is hurtful, and that it can't merely be dismissed as a harmless "personal preference." (And we all know that men and women with fertility issues are not treated the same as trans people - so let's stop making that dishonest comparison.)

If you think left-handed people are evil and refuse to date them, that might just be your own personal hang up. If the vast majority of people in a society felt the same way, however, it should be easy to understand why left-handed people would subsequently feel like second class citizens.

That, obviously, does not justify sexual assault - as there is no justification for sexual assault or sexual misconduct generally.

It should, however, help explain where the legitimate frustration in this instance comes from. Trans people are routinely made into punchlines in popular culture. They're treated as predators, as deceitful, and land mines in the world of dating. We're supposed to find it hilarious that a male character unknowingly had intimate contact with a trans woman. Lepers are often afforded greater courtesy, and appear to cause less physical revulsion or discomfort.

We all know that "reality" shows are not truly unscripted. If you're someone who believes that trans people should be treated as equals, or just dignity and respect, is it so unreasonable to see this as yet another instance in which trans people are humiliated by proxy in a television show?

In a society that so consistently rewards the antics of shameless provocateurs, it's not unreasonable to believe that this "controversy" is being exploited for the sake of publicity. For all we know, everyone who's rushing to one person's side in this is defending someone who is knowingly or unknowingly exploiting social divisions through a prompted, if not staged, conflict.

Defenders of White Supremacism LOVE to seize on any example in which a person of color allegedly behaves in a prejudiced or discriminatory way. It allows them to call out the critics of White Supremacy/Nationalism as hypocrites, and grants them a cover for their own bigotry. Meanwhile, those who are prejudiced against trans people seize on any and every instance of deception or aggression by a trans person, to portray them all as immoral predators.

We need to stop fueling prejudice by rejecting this framework and acknowledging the real issues here.

you cant compare this to a white woman not wanting to date black men

I don't agree with that

Attraction is attraction. People have their preference. Like how some members here who only want to date women of their own race to promote their culture. That's everyone's right.

The transgender is attracted to Ginuwine. Ginuwine is not attracted to the transgender.

Person A is not attracted to Person B because of the attributes of Person B. Big whoop. That's all of us right there.

Attraction is attraction. People have their preference. Like how some members here who only want to date women of their own race to promote their culture. That's everyone's right.

The transgender is attracted to Ginuwine. Ginuwine is not attracted to the transgender.

Person A is not attracted to Person B because of the attributes of Person B. Big whoop. That's all of us right there.

thats true but at the same time i think its deeper than just "attracted to"/"not attracted to"

and in terms of WW/BM where the "attraction" notion fails

because when you say "attributes" its not just physical (what we see) that we base our decision on

but for a white woman to say she'll never date a black man would be racist imo because the ONLY thing she is taking into consideration is race

Here's one particular POV I can't seem to find rational at all...that maybe someone can provide some insight or tell me if I don't quite have the full scope here:

There seems to be a particular school of thought that believes Ginuwine is being transphobic by verbalizing that he would never date a trans woman. In addition, by differentiating trans women from all other women... that this is also disrespectful...and that Ginuwine should recognize them as being equal.

Explain to me how this is logical.

Here's my shot at it Varnell, in the transgender person's mind, they feel like they've done what's necessary to be deemed that gender. But many people want a person that was born that particular gender.

Closest analogy I can construct is an ex convict metriculating himself into society and becoming a lawyer, yet some won't accept him bc of his past, even though he feels that he's done what's necessary to be seen as a legitimate lawyer.

A much better analogy: a person born outside of the country wants to run for a political seat. He's done everything to be seen as a citizen, but the public will not accept him due to something that he had no control over. He ventured over to America, did the necessary paperwork, schooling, community service but he still isn't accepted.

I find it shameful that we can't seem to host a discussion on NikeTalk that in any way involves a transgender person without receiving a barrage of derogatory and insulting comments about trans people in general. That members of the trans community wish to be treated as equals poses no threat to your own sexuality or "masculinity."

Deray McKesson is right. Strength does not come from our sexuality, gender, or race. True strength comes from character - and I wish more of us would demonstrate it in moments like these.

Consent should be considered a basic human right. No one should feel entitled to force themselves on you, even if they're out to somehow make a point.

We can acknowledge and respect that while, at the same time, admitting that the tendency to shun trans people for simply being trans is hurtful, and that it can't merely be dismissed as a harmless "personal preference." (And we all know that men and women with fertility issues are not treated the same as trans people - so let's stop making that dishonest comparison.)

If you think left-handed people are evil and refuse to date them, that might just be your own personal hang up. If the vast majority of people in a society felt the same way, however, it should be easy to understand why left-handed people would subsequently feel like second class citizens.

That, obviously, does not justify sexual assault - as there is no justification for sexual assault or sexual misconduct generally.

It should, however, help explain where the legitimate frustration in this instance comes from. Trans people are routinely made into punchlines in popular culture. They're treated as predators, as deceitful, and land mines in the world of dating. We're supposed to find it hilarious that a male character unknowingly had intimate contact with a trans woman. Lepers are often afforded greater courtesy, and appear to cause less physical revulsion or discomfort.

We all know that "reality" shows are not truly unscripted. If you're someone who believes that trans people should be treated as equals, or just dignity and respect, is it so unreasonable to see this as yet another instance in which trans people are humiliated by proxy in a television show?

In a society that so consistently rewards the antics of shameless provocateurs, it's not unreasonable to believe that this "controversy" is being exploited for the sake of publicity. For all we know, everyone who's rushing to one person's side in this is defending someone who is knowingly or unknowingly exploiting social divisions through a prompted, if not staged, conflict.

Defenders of White Supremacism LOVE to seize on any example in which a person of color allegedly behaves in a prejudiced or discriminatory way. It allows them to call out the critics of White Supremacy/Nationalism as hypocrites, and grants them a cover for their own bigotry. Meanwhile, those who are prejudiced against trans people seize on any and every instance of deception or aggression by a trans person, to portray them all as immoral predators.

We need to stop fueling prejudice by rejecting this framework and acknowledging the real issues here.
You stay keeping it real. If you were to write a book I would purchase your book.

wait im legit dumbfounded that people are calling him transphobic because he solely denied the kiss because of her status as a transgender person?

is that really where we are at? we can’t deny sexual contact with someone solely because theyre a transgender without being “transphobic”?

this is where its gonna get interesting because im seeing a lot of people saying his transphobia lies in not accepting her as a cis women to harmlessly kiss him and im definitely not rolling on that one

If people don't agree with you, they will vilify you and find a disparaging term to label you as. Bigot, - phobe, etc. People just can't do them anymore. If someone doesn't agree, there'll be a Twitter-storm about it. Chances are it will be equally eloquent yet ignorant.
I'm sure people would have something to say because I'm black and I date women of all races. Some black chicks especially get up in arms about white women especially, and idgad.

A simpler analogy. I mean some people just strictly want organic while some are cool with gmo.... Some see a difference between the two, some don't.

yeah this is how i feel and i dont see how someone is GMO-Phobic for not wanting to put GMO stuff in their body yet having no issues with GMO’s existing

yeah this is how i feel and i dont see how someone is GMO-Phobic for not wanting to put GMO stuff in their body yet having no issues with GMO’s existing
Because of people are offended or feel slighted in any way, then someone is at fault and must be vilified.

I'm confused on what the appropriate reaction from Genuwine should've been? Why are people comparing not wanting to date someone because of their race to not dating a trans-gender? Choosing to not want to be with someone simply because of their race can be considered anti- that race... Choosing to not be with someone due to their original gender, does not make you anti- that gender. That's like saying all gay people are anti opposite gender.

That's too much mental gymnastics for me. Inception style. Again. Something is going on and we are legit doomed. I see what it is but I'd get banned or suspended for it. Guess I'll just get my popcorn and let it unfold.

I assume it’s the transgender community that’s outraged. That’s the only logical explanation. I KNOW straight females aren’t outraged. There’s no way...

If thats the case, I’m just gonna start kissing females. :lol: Just walk up, broad daylight...right in the mouth. I’ve been doing it wrong all this time...

This is a non-issue. Nobody is obligated to take to your advances and it may be because you have buck teeth, could be because you got nappy hair, or could be because you have/had a penis.

It feels like, in his eyes, shes still a man, and he's just not into that. Like others have stated, it feels like he's getting dragged in the mud for being heterosexual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom