Give/Show examples of the decline of quality in Jordan retros...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DeuCes213

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Ok....you must be a FOOL to not realize the decline in quality.

I mean look at shoes with real leather, compare it to JB leather. All shoes crease I know, my jordan retros from the "golden era" crease just as bad as the newer retros and the '06 V's have a tougher "leather" than the '99 V's. A clear example is the CDP Black Cement III leather and 2001 OR 1994 OR Original Black Cement III leather. Just compare the "leather" ....or just grab any older nike shoe and compare leather. It's not like that weird glossy, plastic leather that JB uses.

But when you look at these new retros, look at them. They look cheap. They feel cheap. Peep the paint. I didn't get it as bad as others, but the III's and VIII's are CRACKIN more than Fat Joe....it's as bad as that lame joke.

Don't get me started on the Military IV's or just the new IV's in general.

OP i had a pair of the newer Black/Red I's hi-top (straps to be exact)....I SOLD IT BECAUSE IT SUCKED THAT BAD...it just felt soo cheap and weak..went off found an older 01 pair, paid $300 and did not regret.

Addition, OP, in regards to the VI's....I'm actually looking for a pair of black/varsity VI's. I was going to buy the Infrared pack but when i visited the store days before and looked at the White/Varsity Red's....i just wasn't havin it. The paint was sloppy and that damn plastic leather. Passed on that.

Speaks the truth. Some of you are either too young or too new to the shoe game to have owned a pair of Jordans before the decline of quality circa 2004.

Paint chipping- yes, paint wore off on OG Jordans eventually. However, it did not chip off when the shoe is creased the retros do today. You don't even need to scuff one of these retros for it to wear off it will simply come off if the painted midsole creases, you can literally see crease marks in the paint. (Retro III's, IV's in particular)

Leather- this should be obvious to anyone that has ever owned quality, or decent leather before. What they construct retro Jordans with these days is nowhere near good leather. It is hard(stiff), which doesn't allow it to form to your foot and bends awkwardly. Instead of smelling like leather, many Jordans carry a strong chemical smell these days. One way to tell the quality of leather is to check the thickness, you can see at the cut(or lining) how thick it is. Cheap leather is very thin. (exception to the varsity red VI retro, leather was nearly identical to some of the OGs)

Overall Shape- this might not be obvious to some, but if you own the OG of the shoe it should be much easier to see. Of course, JB hasn't used original molds due to them being long gone or just to keep the original special, however the way many of these Jordans are shaped makes them better fitting on a mantel for display than on an actual foot. They are banana like and do not wrap your foot. If you look carefully, a lot of these new retros are so banana like only about half of the shoe is actual touching the ground. Now just because OG molds aren't used is no excuse(my '94 II's weren't the original mold but they still look like a normal shoe).

After half a decade of poor quality retros it appears that retro Jordans are either meant for display or JB just simply understands that there is a new generation to the game who will scoop up as many as they can just to boast to their friends. I'll side with the latter. When the price keeps getting higher but the quality continues to decline the profit margin expands. Nike Sportswear continues to make quality shoes that are no different from what they were pumping out 25 years ago, I just don't understand why JB can't either, they'll make profit either way but c'mon what they're giving us these days is a completely different brand than even 10 years ago.

Obviously you never saw the 2009 Nike SC High Bo Jackson's then.....and there's a few Nike Sportswear related retro version shoes out there over the last several years that have had trash quality similar to the new standards of JB's retro line....all around the board the quality isn't consistently good enough...

its all in the "og heads" head. lol

Sneakers back then were just as crappy quality, bad paint jobs, cracking paint on the 3's and 4's.

People will never be satisfied with a retro unless it is an EXACT carbon copy of an OG. -NOT HAPPENING PEOPLE.

If you arent satisfied, dont cop, i know i am certainly satisfied with all the retros i have bought over the last few years.

Some are better than others, just like it was "back in the day"

Sneakers back then were just as crappy quality, bad paint jobs, cracking paint on the 3's and 4's.

People will never be satisfied with a retro unless it is an EXACT carbon copy of an OG. -NOT HAPPENING PEOPLE.

If you arent satisfied, dont cop, i know i am certainly satisfied with all the retros i have bought over the last few years.

Look at how stiff and durable the leather was on the XI's and XII's back then, compare them to the CDP XI's, and it's no contest.

Until this day, I don't understand the banana style shape on the IV's, IX's, and XII's?? How do they get something like that wrong?

You don't have to be a brain scientist to see the difference. But if you don't like something don't buy them, simple as that right?

Look at how stiff and durable the leather was on the XI's and XII's back then, compare them to the CDP XI's, and it's no contest.

Until this day, I don't understand the banana style shape on the IV's, IX's, and XII's?? How do they get something like that wrong?

You don't have to be a brain scientist to see the difference. But if you don't like something don't buy them, simple as that right?

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

I'm glad your 12s look like a banana because mine sure dont. Retro 12s>>og 12s

Wow... I haven't been on NT in a while, and I see a lot has changed! I NEVER thought I would see the day when people would be defending newer retros and bashing OG's!!! That is insane to me.

As a 36 year old Jordan collector and someone who has owned and played ball in many OG's since 1985, it's very obvious to me that the quality of the newer retros is nowhere near as good as the OG's or even earlier retros. The fact that the majority of the people on this thread are arguing the opposite tells me that true, knowlegable sneaker collectors no longer visit this site and ignorance has taken over. So, that's it for me... goodbye NT!

Wow... I haven't been on NT in a while, and I see a lot has changed! I NEVER thought I would see the day when people would be defending newer retros and bashing OG's!!! That is insane to me.

As a 36 year old Jordan collector and someone who has owned and played ball in many OG's since 1985, it's very obvious to me that the quality of the newer retros is nowhere near as good as the OG's or even earlier retros. The fact that the majority of the people on this thread are arguing the opposite tells me that true, knowlegable sneaker collectors no longer visit this site and ignorance has taken over. So, that's it for me... goodbye NT!

^ you will be back

but yea like I said retro 12s>>og 12s

The only advantage og 12s have is the slightly better leather, but in every other category 03/04 12s were superior.

^ you will be back

but yea like I said retro 12s>>og 12s

The only advantage og 12s have is the slightly better leather, but in every other category 03/04 12s were superior.

Originally Posted by dtb00201

Wow. 
laugh.gif

JB forum has certainly changed.

Originally Posted by dtb00201

Wow. 
laugh.gif

JB forum has certainly changed.

Originally Posted by 23collector1985

No No You See Ignorance has only taken over the Jordan Brand Thread not the rest of the Site.

But Back to the Conversation; I will say it again if Jordan Brand used Pre 2004 Leather, and Actually Dyed the Foam through (Like they still do on the Stupid Air Flight 89, I mean really I HAVE NEVER SEEN A PAIR CRACK EVEN BEAT ONES), and I suppose kept shape truer to the Originals (They change them to supposedly be Comfort Updates (Think About How they are Reshaped and You'll Understand what I'm saying) People Would be Happy. But the constant Price Hikes Have to Stop. 6 Rings $175 so then that mean when the Real Numbered Jordans 16 and Up get Retroed they goning to have be atleast $175+ like theBlack/Red 15 where, which honstly make no sense which is why they have to be retroed. Anyways Let me stop before I really Go In

Originally Posted by 23collector1985

No No You See Ignorance has only taken over the Jordan Brand Thread not the rest of the Site.

But Back to the Conversation; I will say it again if Jordan Brand used Pre 2004 Leather, and Actually Dyed the Foam through (Like they still do on the Stupid Air Flight 89, I mean really I HAVE NEVER SEEN A PAIR CRACK EVEN BEAT ONES), and I suppose kept shape truer to the Originals (They change them to supposedly be Comfort Updates (Think About How they are Reshaped and You'll Understand what I'm saying) People Would be Happy. But the constant Price Hikes Have to Stop. 6 Rings $175 so then that mean when the Real Numbered Jordans 16 and Up get Retroed they goning to have be atleast $175+ like theBlack/Red 15 where, which honstly make no sense which is why they have to be retroed. Anyways Let me stop before I really Go In

And for the record, I was not referring to the 2003/2004 Retro XII's, the new stuff look like Gondolas.

And for the record, I was not referring to the 2003/2004 Retro XII's, the new stuff look like Gondolas.

Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck

Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck

can't believe this is even being debated...the decline in quality is beyond obvious...

if you don't like it, don't buy it, don't support products of poor quality...

can't believe this is even being debated...the decline in quality is beyond obvious...

if you don't like it, don't buy it, don't support products of poor quality...

These are from my personal collection and as you can see the 03 and 09 pairs shape is almost identical.

dsc0046ol.jpg

dsc0038j.jpg

dsc0037x.jpg
dsc0044hp.jpg
dsc0045vk.jpg

These are from my personal collection and as you can see the 03 and 09 pairs shape is almost identical.

dsc0046ol.jpg

dsc0038j.jpg

dsc0037x.jpg
dsc0044hp.jpg
dsc0045vk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom