Giving Tip for Delivery?

Well in paris every bill have a 15% gratuity added by law

Also tips in Paris is not expected

Leaving more than 5-10% is generally not done, even though it may be customary and considered impolite to leave less than 15% in your country.

Simple answer

Your friend was right

and

Paris is not greedy
be quiet man ... You act like I have never lived or travel to Europe frequently. The price of the meal did not have a service included fee in the price. In addition being that we ate close to a tourist spot tip are expected. You are right that 5 to 10% is the norm, but is my ducking money and I doubt any of them are going to be insulted by my american gesture that is frequently seen in those parts. Smh ...

BTW, when was the last time you visited Paris and where exactly did you stayed at?

Last edited:

Ok....here is my Saturday night two nights ago. Normally I sell 1300-1600. This night I only sold 1000. Here is how it all went down. (might have missed one or two tables but here goes)

1) $8 on 49.25 = 16.3% (young persian couple, about 20 yrs old. boyfriend paid)

2) $18 on 85.98 = 21%  (Asian family 2 adults 2 kids. Asian dad 40 yrs old paid)

3)$28 on 197.34 = 14.2% (Latino family of 6. kids were older about 20 yrs. 24 yr old son paid) That one hurt a little bit, only because it was on such a large bill. but still, not terribly terrible.

4) $6 on 38.35 = 16% (dont remember the guests, and forgot to write it down)

At this point I'm thinking .....ok....off to not the best start. Only one good tip so far, and my largest bill so far only hit me with 14%. In all honesty, that kid could have tipped me a LOT worse based on stereotypes, but I Nailed that table, so maybe 14% on that one is not so bad.

5) $5 on 21.85 = 22.3% (black couple, about 37 yrs old. girl paid)

6) $20 on 130.78 = 15.3% (pleasant latino family of 6, late 50's yr old mom paid)

7) $18.60 on 81.41 = 25% (two white women around 50, one paid)

8) $9 on 44.73 = 20.1% (white married couple around 50, husband paid)

9) $8 on 49.90 = 16% (awkward asian couple around 35. Girl did all the ordering and speaking. Guy paid)

10) $25.47 on 114.25 = 22.3% (Middle eastern couple, around 37, male paid)

11) $20 on 82.60 = 24.2% (2 grandparents and one kid. 55 yr old male paid)

12) $5 on 50.25 = 10% (latino couple about 35. male paid)

So....I think I missed a couple tables but that's the night right there. Only on person tipped 10%. And they came in 10 minutes before closing which was already a red flag.

All in all I made $195 on 1000 sales. Which is 19.5%. After tipping out the required 40 dollars (4% of my sales) to bussers, bartenders, hosts, expo, and cocktail runner, I walked with 155. Actually 150. I gave the busboys an extra 5. You can never go wrong tipping bussboys extra. It actually makes you money in the long run. Normally on Saturday night I walk with 200-250, but this night my sales were lower. What can you do.

I'd also like to average all of my tips percentages EQUALLY WEIGHTED for you all to see. It would go like this.

16.3 + 21 + 22.3 + 16 + 16 + 14.2 + 25 + 20 +16 + 22.3 + 24.2 + 9.4 = 222.7

222.7/12 = 18.56% average tip per customer. About 2 percent lower than my average.

Take from this what you will.

So your making $150 a night and weekends about $200 . Your making $800 -$1000 a week. Not even including your hourly pay. That is more then the average worker

and you all get mad when a person dont tip.

And you got made on that $28 tip, please all you did was bring the food and drinks out, you dont even buss tables or anything. why do you think you deserve more?

plus you still get hourly pay

I will never tip more then 10% unless i have a big party and my waiter is actually working

$50 and under tab I usually leave no more then $5

with a $20-$25 tab I usally will leave $2  - $3 plus the change from the bill

Beat me to it. Dude is making nearly $1000 a week.

Smh .

I'm not tipping anymore.

0% now.

laugh.gif
 making $800-$1000 a week and complaining about 10-15% tips. 

Good God man. If yall don't want to tip don't tip.

I don't see how this is still such a debate.

No one should spit in your food if you don't tip but if are the last person to get your food in your section deal with it.

If you don't like it stop eating out or just carry out.

Sheesh.

Folks complaining about the way restaurants do business but still giving them money.

Yall still thirsty to buy Jordan's though so it doesn't shock me.

Last edited:
To me there's no poison about it. This is how it should be. After that it's up to you if you want to pay that much to dine out.
But this would never work. You can't just pay the servers a flat rate. Then there would be no incentive to work hard or go above and beyond for the customer. Servers would all want the easy station with 3 tables instead of 5 in it. Every server would only do "waht is expected of them", instead of trying to excel. Servers would intentionally go MUCH slower since they are paid hourly. The tables wouldn't turn over as fast and productivity/revenue would plummet. Some servers suck, so they'd still get paid the same as servers that are wowing their customers. Prices of entrees would be RIDICULOUS. And you wouldn't be able to get a better price because your server sucked.

In the real world, if your servers sucks, you pay less. If your server was awesome, you pay more. It's just better this way.

********. What incentive does ANY employee in ANY industry have to do their job to the best of their abilities?

Now add to that in an industry that requires no formal education. Spare that no incentive ********. They got kids being servers in the family Chinese and Korean spots.

Last edited:
To me there's no poison about it. This is how it should be. After that it's up to you if you want to pay that much to dine out.
But this would never work. You can't just pay the servers a flat rate. Then there would be no incentive to work hard or go above and beyond for the customer. Servers would all want the easy station with 3 tables instead of 5 in it. Every server would only do "waht is expected of them", instead of trying to excel. Servers would intentionally go MUCH slower since they are paid hourly. The tables wouldn't turn over as fast and productivity/revenue would plummet. Some servers suck, so they'd still get paid the same as servers that are wowing their customers. Prices of entrees would be RIDICULOUS. And you wouldn't be able to get a better price because your server sucked.

In the real world, if your servers sucks, you pay less. If your server was awesome, you pay more. It's just better this way.

********. What incentive does ANY employee in ANY industry have to do their job to the best of their abilities?

Now add to that in an industry that requires no formal education. Spare that no incentive ********. They got kids being servers in the family Chinese and Korean spots.

It's called sales and its called commission.

Most sales jobs don't require formal education.

Last edited:
That's fine, but that's not even what the argument was about. :rolleyes That just seems to me even further incentive to do your job well.

Kats claim they would have no incentive to do their job if not for tips, like they can't be disciplined/fired just like anybody else performing in an unsatisfactory manner would be at their job.

Last edited:
Yall dudes are wildin' in here lol.. putting way to much thought into tipping.  the idea behind a tip is an extra courtesy.  IMO tips should not be enforced.  That defeats the entire purpose of what a tip is all about.

all you wining workers should be demanding higher wages.

that being said, i tip all the time.  ill even tip a takeout if i hit up the spot often.   

carry on. 

Last edited:
That's fine, but that's not even what the argument was. :rolleyes

Kats claim they would have no incentive to do their job if not for tips, like they can't be disciplined/fired just like anybody else performing in an unsatisfactory manner would be at their job.
That's fine, but that's not even what the argument was about. :rolleyes That just seems to me even further incentive to do your job well.

Yeah but you always bring how being a waiter requires no formal education in every tipping thread.

I'm just pointing out how most sales jobs don't either. I look at waiting tables as a sales job and tips are their commission.

Last edited:
How would you be fired if your doing whats asked of you in your job requirements?

Your just not as much of a priority as opposed to a customer who's known as a good tipper. Don't like it, eat somewhere else.

Its favoritism almost everywhere. Friends of employees or longtime customers at a shoe spot sometimes get pairs held down for them while some other customer doesn't have that luxury.

Stores will shut a section down or open at a random hour so a huge celeb can shop there etc. favoritism is a norm in this world for better or worse.

And in regards to them getting fired if they don't provide above and beyond service to bad tippers, I doubt that happens. I'm pretty sure both the employees and management know who the unideal customers are.

If a customer complains because he didn't receive perfect service, management would most likely take it like whatever if that employee has a track record for being a good employee. Believe it or not, in some places, management and ownership actually has the employees backs and know some customers can be problematic. Now if a server is constantly getting complained about then that's one thing but if its isolated cases then most likely the management will treat it as the customer nitpicking and complaining just to complain.

When it comes to shoes or whatever else: "let him cook" " let the man spend his own money" "his money, let him do what he wants".

When it comes to tips: "your parents never taught you" "you're cheap"

Lol, O NT...... When will you learn

I have no problem with tipping. I'm just trying to understand this bare minimum thing. If someone getting lukewarm food and their glass is staying empty for extended periods of time cause they a below average or a non tipper that's wrong. Especially if they are a low maintenance guest. There should be some level of "good" service provided to every customer regardless because that's the job.

So your making $150 a night and weekends about $200 . Your making $800 -$1000 a week. Not even including your hourly pay. That is more then the average worker

And you got made on that $28 tip, please all you did was bring the food and drinks out, you dont even buss tables or anything. why do you think you deserve more?

I will never tip more then 10% unless i have a big party and my waiter is actually working

Are you serious breh? You think all I did for a party of six was bring the food and drinks out? Are you really that dense? Can't even reply to this level of logic. Just...wow. You clearly have no idea the level of work that goes into serving a party of six on an exceptional level. I made sure their refills (there were a lot)  weren't waiting a long time like I'm sure they are used to having happen to them. I bet a lot of times they don't even get a refill.  I treated them with the respect and level of service they aren't used to getting. 

I dont' even buss the tables? I buss it 95% of the way. You think I just leave the customers plates in front of them indefinitely, when they are clearly done eating? I bet a lot of servers would do that to his family given the stereotype, but that's just not me. They got great service. I clear ALL plates, bread baskets, empty glasses, used linens...EVERYTHING. All the buss boy does is grab the remaining drink glasses that weren't empty when the guests left and wipe down the table. When I present the check, all that's left on the table is the non empty drinks.

I could have just brought them out 5 boxes. OR....I could have grabbed three plates and took them to the back of the house and boxed it for them. Then went back to their table, grabbed two more plates and boxed those. That's two trips for one table just to box food. Guess which way I did it? I could have just lazily put the food in the boxes, or i could have taken the extra, unnecessary steps to boxing their food nicely, with side dishes in their own little separate covered containers inside the box, and extra wet napkins to go. Guess which way I did it? I didn't have to box up some extra rolls to go (that's actually against the rules), but I did so without them asking me.

In the end he tipped me 14%. Yes, that's a low tip. BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS MAD ABOUT IT LIKE YOU CLAIMED. JUST SAID IT WAS LOW.  But if they came in again, I'd still serve them well. They probably wouldn't get quite the same level of service, but they'd still get better than average service. Now, if they tipped me 10%, then next time I'd be bringing boxes instead of boxing for them, and maybe not EVERY SINGLE REFILL would be met before the prior glass was empty. There def would not be extra rolls boxed up for them.  (nor would I bend any rules at all for them) I wouldn't offer bread basket refills at the table either (because that's against the rules too, they want us to wait till the guest requests a basket refill before bringing it).

Like I said 15% is not terrible, and he tipped 14%. So he gets a pass, so he'll get MY average service next time, which is still better than most servers. 10% gets a downgrade in service significantly, almost down to bare minimum. If he tipped 25 or 30 percent. He'd have things waiting at the table like bread and drinks before they even sit down, and I'd make up a story in the kitchen to have their order moved to the front of the line. Are you getting it yet?

I have no problem with tipping. I'm just trying to understand this bare minimum thing. If someone getting lukewarm food and their glass is staying empty for extended periods of time cause they a below average or a non tipper that's wrong. Especially if they are a low maintenance guest. There should be some level of "good" service provided to every customer regardless because that's the job.
Let me clarify bare minimum for you. Food temp will be just fine. I put the order in, it shows up in the "window" and it gets sent out....it gets delivered by any server near the window when the food comes up. There is a manager in the window that says "I need a runner" when a table's order is complete and sitting in the window. The product they get will be the same. It's the service that differs. 

If you are a below average tipper, you'll get refills, but they might go all the way empty, or even be empty for a couple minutes, before I get to you. A non tipper might have that glass empty for a longer time. It's not like I'll just let your glass stay empty if I have nothing else to do....BUT THAT'S WHERE A LOT OF PEOPLE DON"T UNDERSTAND. I am busy as hell. I ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DO. As a server, I have a long list of guests needs that constantly popping up, refills is a major one. If I glance at my station of 5 tables, and I need refills on 3 different tables, which one would YOU go to last? EXACTLY. If two tables are done simultaneously and need their food boxed up at the same time, which one gets to wait? EXACTLY. This table over here is probably gonna give me 20%. This table over there has a record of tipping 10%. Guess which table I'm gonna box up first?

Think of it like this...two females hit you up on friday night to go out to a movie. You know that both of them are a lay up. But one girl's dome game is black belt status, and can ride you like she invented sex. The other girl, her dome game is kinda wack...she can't ride for more than a couple minutes because she lacks that leg strength. Every time you go a little hard she asks you to ease up, while the other girl would be telling you to beat that ***** up. Which one would you go out with first? EXACTLY. But you will hit up that other girl eventually, when you have "more time".

Are you serious breh? You think all I did for a party of six was bring the food and drinks out? Are you really that dense? Can't even reply to this level of logic. Just...wow. You clearly have no idea the level of work that goes into serving a party of six on an exceptional level. I made sure their refills (there were a lot)  weren't waiting a long time like I'm sure they are used to having happen to them. I bet a lot of times they don't even get a refill.  I treated them with the respect and level of service they aren't used to getting. 

I dont' even buss the tables? I buss it 95% of the way. You think I just leave the customers plates in front of them indefinitely, when they are clearly done eating? I bet a lot of servers would do that to his family given the stereotype, but that's just not me. They got great service. I clear ALL plates, bread baskets, empty glasses, used linens...EVERYTHING. All the buss boy does is grab the remaining drink glasses that weren't empty when the guests left and wipe down the table. When I present the check, all that's left on the table is the non empty drinks.

I could have just brought them out 5 boxes. OR....I could have grabbed three plates and took them to the back of the house and boxed it for them. Then went back to their table, grabbed two more plates and boxed those. That's two trips for one table just to box food. Guess which way I did it? I could have just lazily put the food in the boxes, or i could have taken the extra, unnecessary steps to boxing their food nicely, with side dishes in their own little separate covered containers inside the box, and extra wet napkins to go. Guess which way I did it? I didn't have to box up some extra rolls to go (that's actually against the rules), but I did so without them asking me.

In the end he tipped me 14%. Yes, that's a low tip. BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS MAD ABOUT IT LIKE YOU CLAIMED. JUST SAID IT WAS LOW.  But if they came in again, I'd still serve them well. They probably wouldn't get quite the same level of service, but they'd still get better than average service. Now, if they tipped me 10%, then next time I'd be bringing boxes instead of boxing for them, and maybe not EVERY SINGLE REFILL would be met before the prior glass was empty. There def would not be extra rolls boxed up for them.  (nor would I bend any rules at all for them) I wouldn't offer bread basket refills at the table either (because that's against the rules too, they want us to wait till the guest requests a basket refill before bringing it).

Like I said 15% is not terrible, and he tipped 14%. So he gets a pass, so he'll get MY average service next time, which is still better than most servers. 10% gets a downgrade in service significantly, almost down to bare minimum. If he tipped 25 or 30 percent. He'd have things waiting at the table like bread and drinks before they even sit down, and I'd make up a story in the kitchen to have their order moved to the front of the line. Are you getting it yet?
This is exactly why i dont tip. The mentaility...

I dont even want to speak on this. Got my blood boiling

basically the customer never asked for anything you did and you expect money. *****

U like I boxed their food,brought them extra bread,didnt make them wait fror their food.My goodness, you didnt make them wait for their food

bring me my box, i dont need you to box it ..lol Im sure they didnt either

15% is what your supposed to get, people tip more if they are being nice and your complaining

Mayne i,m done,im getting upset lol

Last edited:

This is exactly why i dont tip. The mentaility...

I dont even want to speak on this. Got my blood boiling

basically the customer never asked for anything you did and you expect money. *****

U like I boxed their food,brought them extra bread,didnt make them wait fror their food.My goodness, you didnt make them wait for their food

Mayne i,m done,im getting upset lol
No need to get upset breh...it's just the way it is. I'm gonna work harder for those paying me more, get it?

Plus..."didnt make them wait for their food"? When was that ever apart of anything I said in that post? SRS

Last edited:

lol buddy go da extra mile for his tips fam, he earned dat

lol buddy go da extra mile for his tips fam, he earned dat
that's all I'm saying fam...a lot of people in here thinking serving tables is a cake walk. Job is HARD AS HELL. A constant race mentally. I go above and beyond A LOT for my guests, and some people in here actin like that's easy. News...one little EXTRA step taken for a table that wasn't expected is DIFFICULT AS HELL when you are slammed. 

The sense of entitlement that many waiters have as seen in this thread is mind blowing. And no, I don't eat out.
I don't see at as entitlement. Tip or don't. I can give various levels of service. Why do you feel entitled to good service, when it isn't required?

I know what average service is. When I try my *** off and give awesome service, and I get hit with that 10%, it just lets me know that next time, they get 10% service, which is all I'm required to give you anyway. All that trying my *** off isn't necessary, but is appreciated by all of my 20% tippers.

Back
Top Bottom