Going to the Philippines for the first time...

Anybody got any advice? I'm going to be staying in Makati then a lil bit in Palawan.

drink bottled water. better yet just drink beer.

Last edited:
Be very weary of your carry on luggage at the airport.

People will try to put bullets in it and extort u.
Srs.

Gonna make a trip there, want to see it for myself. Looking for a place to kick back and focus on self-discovery, without financial responsibility looming over my head.

I'll be visiting Olongapo City this July for my girl and me first year anniversary. I'll be staying in her parents crib but I'm kind of nervous :lol: Her family is well known and she's close to government officials, wish me luck famb

Last time I stayed in Makati. Food is great and cheap. I was near what I think was the Greenbelt mall. Very nice mall and the movie theater was awesome.

Nikes...

If you go to the right places, you can get them for cheap.

Shopping in general was great there.

Last edited:
What everyone else said.

Go to a spa. I got an hour massage, facial, and all-day jacuzzi, sauna, etc. Had the buffet included too. Came out to like ₱1,000+ which is a little over US$20 I think.

Definitely make a trip to one of the provinces if you can; it's a nice change of pace from Metro Manila

But yeah, beware of the bullet-planting at the airport. I'm not sure if it's as bad as it was a couple months ago, but try to get a relative or friend to bring you to the airport. Handle your own luggage too. Supposedly it's taxi drivers and porters that get you. Some people Saran wrap their luggage but I think that's a little OD.

Oh yeah, be prepared for some of the worst traffic in the world.

Last edited:
Yo, I've never heard of this planting bullets in luggage. Is this something new?

Yo, I've never heard of this planting bullets in luggage. Is this something new?
Wait wut?

They trying to get people banged up so you can pay them to get you off or something?
I've never heard of this, but this is super foul.

They can just plant a bullet in your luggage, you run it through security, and they threaten to arrest you (so you have to pay up to get off).

Last edited:
This was happening in 2015. Not sure if it's still happening right now since the Media caught on.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/04/aviation/philippines-airport-bullet-bag-scam-tanim-bala/

Philippines airport bullet-in-bag scam hits travelers

As if airports weren't stressful enough, a new "bullet-in-luggage" scam in the Philippines is piling on fresh hell for passengers.

Travelers from all over the world are said to have been targeted by airport security staff who allegedly plant live ammunition in luggage in order to extort money.

Unlicensed possession or purchase of firearms and ammunition is illegal in the Philippines.

CNN Philippines reports that police have recorded 30 alleged cases of the scam, known locally as "tanim bala," between January and November 2015.

Manila International Airport Authority says there have been five alleged cases in the past two weeks.

Government officials say the matter is being investigated, but presidential spokesman Herminio Coloma Jr. insists the cases are isolated.

Damn. That's foul. One of my dad's friends works in an airport over there, I wonder what he knows about it. Too much damn corruption over there. You can't do jack with just bullets though, what the hell am I gonna do with bullets and no gun. Throwing at people will just annoy them.

They basically try to to Extort you for money. I went back home during the peak of the bullet scandal...NAIA airport is crazy. Always watch your belongings. We locked every compartment and zipper on our suitcases and we were fine. Just be vigilant and take precautions and you'll be good.

I went for Christmas/New Year last year. I loved it. I would stay for longer if I could. I would definitely try to explore outside of the main metropolitan areas, if possible. Just be sure to have someone with you that is familiar with places to go. My family went to Cebu for a few days in the middle of our trip and went swimming with Whale Sharks in Oslob. It was pretty awesome. Have fun, OP.

Back
Top Bottom