GOP Chairman Plans To Target Hip-Hop Audience In The Coming Future

NEWSMAKER INTERVIEW:

Newly elected Republican National Committee Chairman Michael S. Steele plans an "off the hook" public relations offensive to attract youngervoters, especially blacks and Hispanics, by applying the party's principles to "urban-suburban hip-hop settings."

The RNC's first black chairman will "surprise everyone" when updating the party's image using the Internet and advertisements on radio, ontelevision and in print, he told The Washington Times.

Having been elected to the job that the Bush White Houseand its political guru, Karl Rove, once denied him, Mr. Steele is running the show his way. To those who claimed he can't make the trains run on time, hehas this message: "Stuff it."

He stiff-armed an attempt to get him to elaborate on his public relations effort, saying he would be an idiot to give his opponents too much information,but indicated the Republican Party needs to break out of being considered a regional party.

"There was underlying concerns we had become too regionalized and the party needed to reach beyond our comfort" zones, he said, citing defeats insuch states as Virginia and North Carolina. "We need messengers to really capture that region - young, Hispanic, black, a cross section ... We want toconvey that the modern-day GOP looks like the conservative party that stands on principles. But we want to apply them to urban-surburban hip-hopsettings."

But, he elaborated with a laugh, "we need to uptick our image with everyone, including one-armed midgets."

"Where we have fallen down in delivering a message is in having something to say, particularly to young people and moms of all shapes - soccer moms,hockey moms," he said, though he insisted that party messages won't be different strokes for different folks. "We don't offer one image for18-year-olds and another for soccer moms but one that shows who we are for the 21st century."

Mr. Steele, the former lieutenant governor of Maryland and former state Republican Party chairman, defeated four rivals in the sixth round of voting on Jan.30 to become chairman of the 168-member RNC. At the end of 2006, after Republicans lost their House and Senate majorities, Mr. Rove nixed a growing movementamong RNC members - state Republican Party chairmen and elected national committee members - to elect Mr. Steele as their next chairman.

Mr. Rove subsequently left the White House to work for Fox News, and with President Bush on his way out of the Oval Office, the RNC was free to choose itsown chairman instead of rubber-stamping the choice of a Republican White House.

While other former top Bush White House and campaign officials sent congratulations on his election, including former RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman, Mr. Roveneither phoned nor wrote his congratulations, Mr. Steele told The Times.

Mr. Steele said the national Republican leadership, with its emphasis on party discipline rather than developing a strong nationwide bench of candidates,put the party in the mess it now finds itself, most acutely in the Northeast. There is not even one U.S. House member from any of the six New England states,which have 22 seats, and the Republicans hold only three of New York's 29 seats.

"We missed the mark in the past, which is why we are in the crapper now," he said. "We had the White House, the Senate and the House and werenot building a farm team over the last years. We could have been ahead of Democrats and their 50-state strategy."

Top party officials and officeholders have suggested that Mr. Steele name as deputy chairman someone who can run the national committee's vastoperations in fundraising, communications, candidate recruitment and training, and voter identification and targeting.

"I can run this organization just fine," Mr. Steele told The Times. "There will be no deputy chairman, period."

Still, the talk among some prominent senior Republicans was that Mr. Steele would need someone with "more experience" to provide guidance andorganization. Reminded of this, Mr. Steele told The Times: "People who said I can't make the trains run on time never gave a reason. I say to them,'Stuff it.' "

"I am not afraid of being held accountable for my leadership," he said. "The idea I am somehow going to handicap myself before I begin isnuts. I am not going to buy into this mind-set among a few people who probably have never run anything but their mouths."

Under Mr. Steele's helm, the "old" may seem inappropriate in the Grand Old Party's affectionate nickname. He said he is putting a new publicrelations team into place to update the party's image.

"It will be avant garde, technically," he said. "It will come to table with things that will surprise everyone - off the hook."

ABC NEWS VIA GETTY IMAGES Republican National Committee Chairman Michael S. Steele says the Grand Old Party is in need of an "off the hook" public relations offensive to attract young blacks and Hispanics.

Does that mean cutting-edge?

"I don't do 'cutting-edge,' " he said. "That's what Democrats are doing. We're going beyond cutting-edge."

Mr. Steele has begun weekly meetings with Senate and House Republicans to coordinate strategy, message, policy and tactics but has no intention of trying togive marching orders to Republican members of Congress and their leaders.

"Part of it is being in the same room with them so they hear you, and you resonate to their thinking and strategy," he said.

"My goal is to listen and to share, when appropriate, insights," Mr. Steele said. "I think I can be helpful from a political grass-roots andmessaging perspective. ... I don't plan to dictate policy under any circumstance. What I can do is tell them how the party base feels about the policiesthey will have to confront, like the stimulus bill."
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/19/steele-gop-needs-hip-hop-makeover/http://www.washingtontime...p-needs-hip-hop-makeover/

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Lets see here.... Republican Party preaches fiscal conservatism....a large percentage in the hip-hop generation indulge in what can be categorized as wastefulspending. Then you have attracting black voters using Ronald Reagan as the poster boy... don't know if Mr. Steele knows but The Gipper isn't thoughtof so highly in the black community. I mean be serious since hip-hop's inception in the late 70's there's been only 3 Republican presidents Reagan,Bush Sr & Jr so that already will create a disconnect because none of them are well liked. How does Mr. Steele think he will attract the hip-hop generationwhen the current Republican party is already demonizing a hip-hop elected president
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I applaud him for atleast trying to create dialogue butthis won't work.

And the GOP would attract more of the Hispanic community if they didn't hold them in such contempt... most Republicans view Hispanics as people who arehelping to deteriorate the classical American work structure just as they view many blacks in the urban community as welfare queens.

Michael Steele has no idea who and what he is working for. Little does he know that deep down, he's not even truly welcomed. Besides, Michael Steele isthe last person that I would want to run an advertisement campaign.

Democrats: Beware of Michael Steele

By Bob Beckel

After blasting Republicans for an endless string of missteps last week, I concede the GOP finally got one right. Electing the former Lieutenant Governor of Maryland, Michael Steele, to chair the Republican National Committee is a smart move for the GOP and a warning for Democrats.

I have spent hours with Steele at the Fox News studios, and in dozens of TV encounters, and at dinners. Steele is a friendly, formidable, and very partisan man who should not be underestimated. He has a disarming and gifted television personality and an uncanny ability to make the most unreasonable arguments sound rational. In a debate, he can charm his opponents into a false sense of security, and then proceed to maul them. Democrats who underrate Steele do so at their own peril.

The press continually refers to Steele as a "moderate", but he is not a moderate -- he only plays one on television. Under that friendly persona of reasonableness lies the soul of a doctrinaire conservative. From an ardent supply-sider to a committed pro-life advocate (he came within a year of being ordained a Catholic priest), Steele is firmly on the Right.

In the pro-choice state of Maryland, Steele rarely raised the abortion issue in his races for Lieutenant Governor and the U.S. Senate. But his party is looking to him to rekindle the passions of the pro-life movement on a national stage. And Steele is aware of the 2008 falloff of voter turnout in precincts where the pro-life movement is strong.

Democrats will say that abortion is not an important issue right now, especially in the midst of a daunting recession. Among most voting groups they are right, but they miss a group critical to maintaining the Democrats' majority -- Hispanics. Obama won many of their votes in 2008, but the bulk of Hispanic voters, like Steele, are Catholic and fervently anti abortion.

Steele understands that his party cannot regain a national majority unless the GOP can cut into the 2-1 advantage Obama received from Hispanics. But he also recognizes his party's opposition to grant amnesty to illegal aliens, many of whom are Hispanics. That position was, in part, responsible for major defections among Hispanics in 2008 who voted 40%+ for George Bush in 2004. The abortion card, carefully played, is in Steele's hand. And he will use it.

Steel will also try to attract more African American votes, which he emphasized in his campaign. This will be challenging to accomplish as well since the nation now has its first black president. But even here Steele sees an opening among the burgeoning black middle and entrepreneurial classes, of which Mr. Steele is a member. This growing black voting block is skeptical about the Democrats' minority policies that almost exclusively favor poor African-Americans.

Many successful blacks, Steele among them, grew up in sparse economic circumstances but managed to work their way up the ladder and eschew government dependency. They believe similar avenues are available to poorer blacks who have either become dependent upon the government or who lack the initiative to break from the "black as victim" mode.

Steele is firmly in this camp. Born on a military base in Washington D.C., Steele was put up for adoption. His adoptive parents, also from D.C., were hard working people of meager means. Along with his adopted sister (once married to boxer Mike Tyson) Steele was raised in a highly disciplined environment supplemented by a rigorous Catholic education.

Steele has made a good living in the private sector since his failed Senate bid. He has a strong work ethic and believes in a lightly regulated market capitalism. He opposes government intervention in the markets and was an outspoken critic of the Bush/Paulson $700 billion bailout plan. Steele also opposes Obama's stimulus plan.

But Steele is smart enough to avoid direct attacks on a popular president. That said, he anticipates Obama's favorable ratings to fall, which is likely, and when they do, expect Steele to go after the president with a vengeance. It is here that Steele enjoys an advantage: his race. He can attack Obama without being accused of playing the race card.

Steele once told me a story that speaks volumes about his determination to succeed: Steele attended college at Johns Hopkins University. In his freshman year, Steele said, his grades were so bad that the dean of students told him he would not be invited to return. His mother forced him to go back to the dean and insist he was prepared to do anything to continue his studies. The dean said "no," but Steele's mother made him confront the dean again. This went on for weeks until the dean, in desperation, agreed to readmit Steele with the proviso that any bad grades would end in his dismissal, mother or no mother. Steele went on to graduate near the top of his class at Johns Hopkins and was elected student body president.

Democrats beware: Steele faces challenges, perseveres, and succeeds. Given the state of the GOP Steele holds a weak political hand, but you can be sure he will maximize the opportunities of whichever card he holds.

Bob Beckel managed Walter Mondale's 1984 presidential campaign. He is a senior political analyst for the Fox News Channel and a columnist for USA Today. Beckel is the co-author with Cal Thomas of the book "Common Ground."

Dems should be scared of Steele, very scared.

And Bob Beckel is VERY liberal.

It is here that Steele enjoys an advantage: his race. He can attack Obama without being accused of playing the race card.
False. Plenty of black racist folks out there.

And Bob Beckel is VERY liberal.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Mr. Steele doesnt have a great record when it come to leadership andcampaigning... check what he did to GOPAC and his horrid US Senate race where he tried to disenfranchise poor voters by falsely claiming he was endosred byprominent democrats in order to get black votes.

Honestly the only reason Steele was elected GOP Chairman was because the runner up for the position had a racial problem [attending white's only clubs& wanting to uphold segregation in his younger years]

Steele is no where near a threat

Hip Hop 198?-1998=Black Male

Hip Hop 1998-Now=Viacom,Clear Channel,Vivendi Universal, etc.

Good luck Steele...F' outta here.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Nobody is scared of Michael Steele. Just to give you some insight, as of rightnow Steele has little to no say so in the black community at all, and most likely that will remain as such.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Michael Steele has no idea who and what he is working for. Little does he know that deep down, he's not even truly welcomed. Besides, Michael Steele is the last person that I would want to run an advertisement campaign.
roll.gif
and obama is welcomed? Obama is nothing more than aposterboy, sorry to break your hip hop heart. Once things hit the fan, white liberals will abandon him as they did bush.

laugh.gif
i've been in the md/dc/va area my whole life, so... this is funny to me. steele, lol. does anyone remember the corny commercials that featured W. bushrepeating "michael steele"?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rickybadman

Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko 979

Michael Steele has no idea who and what he is working for. Little does he know that deep down, he's not even truly welcomed. Besides, Michael Steele is the last person that I would want to run an advertisement campaign.
roll.gif
and obama is welcomed? Obama is nothing more than a posterboy, sorry to break your hip hop heart. Once things hit the fan, white liberals will abandon him as they did bush.
Your post is so stupid in so many ways. White liberals never supported Bush buddy. Obama is not just a poster boy to the hip hop /black community he is the embodiment of the American dream to many many people.

Yes, if you truly think obama could of won any presidential election had it not been for bush's mess, you are lying to yourself. Obama is decent, his wifeis a hidden racist. Beneath the surface she doesnt like white people.
"For The First Time In My Life I'm Proud of My Country"-M. Obama
But idk what im talking about, i'm making all this up
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by rickybadman

roll.gif
and obama is welcomed? Obama is nothing more than a posterboy, sorry to break your hip hop heart. Once things hit the fan, white liberals will abandon him as they did bush.
Your post is so stupid in so many ways. White liberals never supported Bush buddy. Obama is not just a poster boy to the hip hop /black community he is the embodiment of the American dream to many many people.

Yes, if you truly think obama could of won any presidential election had it not been for bush's mess, you are lying to yourself. Obama is decent, his wife is a hidden racist. Beneath the surface she doesnt like white people.
"For The First Time In My Life I'm Proud of My Country"-M. Obama
But idk what im talking about, i'm making all this up
eyes.gif
so you're saying she married a half white man, but doesn't like white people? dude...
tired.gif

The funny thing is...

most black people I know are technically republicans. If it wasn't for the overly racist undertones in the GOP, you'd see a lot more black support outthere.

I'm not trying to generalize here, (and I bet someone will take this out of context) but most black people I know are more socially conservative than youwould think...and even more so fiscally conservative.

The media sells their agenda and causes people to really abandon what they think they know...

Its crazy to think about sometimes...

Oh well... Good Luck to Mr. Steele. The fact that they let him in the damn organization means a lot more than we're giving him credit for... He could havebeen a push-over but the fact is that he is not and this could make for a very interesthing next 4 years.

I'll still be a Dem though...

Back
Top Bottom