GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

I know school just started and I'm late to this thread, but I really want to do my MPH online. Anyone who has done this or doing this? Any tips?

Happy to talk to anyone about JD/MBA at a T-10 school, or just it in general. Going into my first year on the bschool side after 2 in law already.
Tips for the LSAT? My girl is getting ready to take the test next spring and is planning on studying with the Powerscore prep plan. Also any advice for getting in to a T10 or highly ranked Tier 2 school? Her GPA ain't amazing, but could potentially be around a 3.5 by the end of her undergrad.

Is the first year of law as bad as the legends say? :nerd:

Last edited:
I know school just started and I'm late to this thread, but I really want to do my MPH online. Anyone who has done this or doing this? Any tips?
There are tons of schools that offer it so decide what's your priorities, cost, school ranking/reputation, location, duration of program, etc. then search that like, "Top Cheap Online MPH programs" or whatever. Usually usnews or bestcolleges.com have lists. When I was going to do that, I was going to do Grambling because I wanted an HNCU then I decided I wanted a better school so USC was my choice (and they were willing to accept me even with my horrendous undergrad GPA), George Washington, and UT I also looked at

does the online programs help with placement tho?
USD does, makes you a premium LinkedIn member and they had their own site plus they do alumni hiring/job junting events annually or either it was every semester. Plus of course whateveryour major is join the national and regional clubs for it. I'll screencap what I was talking about when I get home.

Last edited:
for those in online programs, how do you go about networking and building rapport with classmates and professors? 

thats a big motivation for me attending in-person instruction...im looking for the career change (well enough of a change), so I'm hoping professors and or even classmates can help provide some of the insight, if they have any...

Anyone got a master's in public administration? I'm thinking about starting this in the next year or so? Either online or in person.

for those in online programs, how do you go about networking and building rapport with classmates and professors? 

thats a big motivation for me attending in-person instruction...im looking for the career change (well enough of a change), so I'm hoping professors and or even classmates can help provide some of the insight, if they have any...
Just started so technically just week 3 of the first class that counts, but I think I'll still be able to do that. The group of classmates I am in with now generally will be with me all the way til graduation unless they or I take a break semester, but most importantly and it exists in almost every discipline is getting in the National and Regional clubs and going to their annual shindigs.

Degree finally arrived in mail today. Feels good to be done
nthat.gif

Good Luck to all of those just starting. It goes by fast so make the best of it. 

Fell off a little bit, but the professor worked with me on some late assignments so I still have an 86 over half the way through and we finally got that damn term paper out the way which is like over half our grade.

How's everyone doing? Just finished my first class, probably will end up with a high B, A is still mathematically possible but I would have to have gotten 100% basically on the last 8 or so assignments she is yet to grade which is unlikely. Still, a 3.5GPA in grad school while still going to work, being a father, working out again, isn't bad at all. :D

Was going to make a post checkin in on the squad but got caught up w/ school.

I'm only taking 2 courses this term so I'm not overwhelmed at the moment w/ that. I've found it's be a little easier to juggle working fulltime, parenting, and going to school. Interested to see how the Spring is since I'm increasing my courseload, and the other professors might want me to actually read the book unlike my professors this term, their more hands on and learn by doing.

I was lucky since this was the intro I was able to half *** and just jump on on Monday (assignments for the week are always due Tuesday at 12:01am) and throw something together, with the discussions even just read everyone else's and say the same thing, differently. But the further I get along the more that won't work so this course I am going to make a real schedule for myself and get time in every day because ultimately I will have to get certified and prove my knowledge in this before I can make it a career so being clever and skipping non graded readings since they're not connected to a graded assignment won't serve me well.

Happy to talk to anyone about JD/MBA at a T-10 school, or just it in general. Going into my first year on the bschool side after 2 in law already.
Tips for the LSAT? My girl is getting ready to take the test next spring and is planning on studying with the Powerscore prep plan. Also any advice for getting in to a T10 or highly ranked Tier 2 school? Her GPA ain't amazing, but could potentially be around a 3.5 by the end of her undergrad.

I know absolutely nothing about the LSAT besides what I read in this article...sounds like Logic Games section is a beast, and you need to get a tutor to teach you.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/10/the-lsat-is-rigged-against-the-poor/504530/

I feel the same way. My Marketing professor literally said "I want yall to read the book, but realistically, I know you guys won't and it won't affect your grade..." I read the first four chapters not knowing what to expect in class, after that, haven't cracked the book open :smh: I need to get on it and read more to better understand it but feel I'm already so far behind in readings though we don't use the book at all.

What else are you guys doing to prepare yourself outside of school? I just started the trails on Salesforce.com to learn that and I'm going to join the PMI and the local chapter.

I know absolutely nothing about the LSAT besides what I read in this article...sounds like Logic Games section is a beast, and you need to get a tutor to teach you.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/10/the-lsat-is-rigged-against-the-poor/504530/

Put it like this, the logic games do absolutely nothing to prepare you for law school, but it's a freaking monster. The main reason being it's time consuming. The other part is reading comprehension I believe and that's tough because you have to assume what the author of the text meant in order to answer correctly and by author, I don't mean the person attached to the story, I'm talking about the actual person for LSAT that wrote the passage.

Last edited:

Is the first year of law as bad as the legends say?
nerd.gif
First year is tough. LSAT tips are just to take a good prep program. Spend a long period of time with the study plan. I really don't think that there's a secret sauce there. It's just repetition, honestly. 

I finished my MS in 2014 (started the thread when i was a young pup), but I will be applying for my MBA for 2019 matriculation. My plans are still the same as they were in 2012, but the difference is i got to the buyside a lot faster than I anticipated.

Aiming at HSW, Columbia and Booth for the MBA....

I'm hoping that my current work experience will help me get in to these schools. My goal is to join a special situations group similar to the one i'm at now, but at a megafund like TPG, Apollo, Blackstone, etc, then try to start my own fund after 6 or so years.

My girl is in her 3rd semester of a 6 semester (3 year) program. for a Masters in Counseling. Can't wait till she's done. She won't be making greenbacks, but it'll allow her to potentially start her own practice or child shelter... I want to help her with that, too...

A PHD is probably on the radar for her, but I think she'll go after that a little later.

Momb-dukes just told me she's starting her Masters in Education... 18 month program at Lamar. She's hoping to finish summer 2018. She got SMACKED when the recession hit... Her job cut her, and it was tough to get a new job b/c all the stuff she was going for, she had to have a certain education level. She was able to get to her job before the over-saturation of degrees in our society.

My dad was enrolled into an Auto CAD program... Unfortunately, he passed away last month. :frown:

Sucks, b/c the whole famb would've been getting their school on. All good though.

I'm gonna name my first fund after him. :pimp: :pimp:

Repped all yall. Thanks for the input :pimp:

handullz handullz Sorry to hear about your father. That's a dope way to honor him though. Hit me up when you start your fund, I've always wanted to work at a hedge fund :nerd: :lol:

Last edited:
I finished my MS in 2014 (started the thread when i was a young pup), but I will be applying for my MBA for 2019 matriculation. My plans are still the same as they were in 2012, but the difference is i got to the buyside a lot faster than I anticipated.

Aiming at HSW, Columbia and Booth for the MBA....

I'm hoping that my current work experience will help me get in to these schools. My goal is to join a special situations group similar to the one i'm at now, but at a megafund like TPG, Apollo, Blackstone, etc, then try to start my own fund after 6 or so years.

My girl is in her 3rd semester of a 6 semester (3 year) program. for a Masters in Counseling. Can't wait till she's done. She won't be making greenbacks, but it'll allow her to potentially start her own practice or child shelter... I want to help her with that, too...

A PHD is probably on the radar for her, but I think she'll go after that a little later.

Momb-dukes just told me she's starting her Masters in Education... 18 month program at Lamar. She's hoping to finish summer 2018. She got SMACKED when the recession hit... Her job cut her, and it was tough to get a new job b/c all the stuff she was going for, she had to have a certain education level. She was able to get to her job before the over-saturation of degrees in our society.

My dad was enrolled into an Auto CAD program... Unfortunately, he passed away last month. :frown:

Sucks, b/c the whole famb would've been getting their school on. All good though.

I'm gonna name my first fund after him. :pimp: :pimp:

sup famb. what round are you going to apply? have you gotten most of your stuff taken care of? im planning to apply to r2 & r3

Last edited:
sup famb. what round are you going to apply? have you gotten most of your stuff taken care of? im planning to apply to r2 & r3

1st round for all. It's gonna tax my pockets, but I'd rather figure something out before Christmas break.

I'm gonna throw out some Consortium apps for backup schools, but honestly, if I don't get one of those five, there isn't much point for me to go to school.

Thinking about seeing which programs will allow me to obtain a joint degree in MBA and Master in Food Science(maybe something in the environmental science; Agriculture). I want to see how far I can grow my options with my undergrad in Marketing. 

Maybe look at going to two different schools split up the years that I attend the programs but I will take a hit/risk on the MBA side with the networking.

This would help out in the long run of running a business or product development for more opportunities 

How's everybody doin right now, few weeks left before the end of the term. I got 2 group projects and a final to complete within the coming weeks.

Great so far. Better than I thought I would be doing. Just have to finish 4 finals and 3 papers by end of next week.

Hope NT fam flourishes :smokin

Last edited:
Have a BA in psychology and been working 5 years at MT. Sinai as a lab technician. Been thinking of going back for my masters in I/O Psych. Anyone have any experience with this major?

Have a BA in psychology and been working 5 years at MT. Sinai as a lab technician. Been thinking of going back for my masters in I/O Psych. Anyone have any experience with this major?
Got a BS in SOC and currently doing recruitment. On the same boat with you in regards to I/O psych. Lot of HR work involved I hear. But thinking bout MFT as well.

Since my dad died, I'm taking my nephew (his grandpa) him interested in finance. His grades are so dope he could go anywhere, but his dad (my brother) one of those hard working brothers and not too knowledgeable about college

I'm starting my MBA the same time he starts college (I'm working him through all this since I ain't have anyone to guide me)

We aiming high, doe. Gonna start visiting schools this spring.

Both first generation MBA and Bachelors, uncle / nephew black graduates from .... Harvard?.... UPenn / Wharton?... Stanford....?

:nerd: :nerd:

All those schools you've mentioned are target schools for high finance career.

Wharton alumni is deep in Wall Street and Harvard, it speaks for itself. It is pretty much all around the best school anyone can get into. I can't speak much for West Coast schools :lol:

Looking at where the future is headed, I would definitely recommend majoring in Engineering/Comp Sci at SEAS with Econ at Wharton. Intern every summer at a bulge bracket, network heavy and have a proven track of leadership growth. Also, seek a mentor in the industry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom