grammar police i need your help

Originally Posted by MECKS

someone give me a recent example of a celebrity getting legal preferential treatement. i cant think of anything ..

lil wayne with the gun charge??

T.I.
MICHAEL VICK
OJ SIMPSON?
*Kanye shrug

You fam, but gawd damn.
laugh.gif

*Bentley and me

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

My Mother and Father divorced when I was 2 years old. In 2004, My father remarried to a woman named Jessica, who had a single daughter named Bentley. My father now became the legal guardian of Bentley, so he now made the rules for her. The problem here, lies in the fact that my father did not treat Bentley and I the same. He would let me get away with things that would often lead Bentley to a beating. I remember once, I was eating past 9pm and my father was okay with it, but when Bentley tried to eat with me, she was slapped. I did not enjoy the preferential treatment my father gave me, as I could see its effects explicitly. I never knew the exact reasons for why he treated me differently. I think it may have been because I was his son, while Bentley was just “some girl

SMH. He said "grammar police." Not a single one of you is in TGP.
smh.gif

Since we're talking about the object of some verb, you go with "me," not "I," and usually you put "me" (or "I") last as a matter of politeness, so it's "Bentley and me."

Originally Posted by NikeHolic23

I think neither.

I'd say: "The problem here, lies in the fact that my father did not treat Bentley and me the same."

???
this.

the trick is this: take out 'bentley and' and the sentence should still make sense.

the problem here, lies in the fact that my father did not treat me the same. -- makes sense

the problem here, lies in the fact that my father did not treat i the same. -- does not make sense.

the first sentence using, 'me and bentley' is wrong for several reasons...no point in getting into all of them.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]SMH. He said "grammar police." Not a single one of you is in TGP.[/color]
smh.gif

Since we're talking about the object of some verb, you go with "me," not "I," and usually you put "me" (or "I") last as a matter of politeness, so it's "Bentley and me."
Peep my last post
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by MECKS

essay due in 1 hour, on second pargraph.

is :

The problem here lied in the fact that my fatherdid not treat me and Bentley the same.

or :

The problem here lied in the fact that my fatherdid not treat Bentley and I the same.

correct?
The first one. Here's why:

Does this make sense?
"The problem here lied in the fact that my fatherdid not treat Bentley and I the same as Bentley." No. It doesn't make sense.

Does THIS make sense?
"The problem here lied in the fact that my fatherdid not treat me and Bentley the same as Bentley." Yup.

As others said, 'me' should come last, though.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

My Mother and Father divorced when I was 2 years old. My father remarried Jessica in 2004, a woman who had a single daughter named Bentley. As it follows, my father became the legal guardian of Bentley, setting the rules and laws that governed the household. Despite the enforcement of these household rules, there was a considerable discrepancy with the rules and the enforcement policies my father carried out. The problem lied in the fact that he did not treat Bentley and me the same. I would get away with things that would often lead Bentley to a beating. On one particular occasion, my father saw me eat dinner past 9:00pm and was okay with it. Bentley, on the other hand, was slapped across the face for attempting to join me under the very same circumstances. I didn't enjoy the preferential treatment my father gave to me, as I could see its effects explicitly on Bentley, myself, and more importantly, our family unit. Till this day, I never knew the reasons behind his undeniable favoritism. The only logical explanation for me is that I was his son, while Bentley was merely "some girl" to him.
nice.
pimp.gif

the only problem is that the writing quality in the rest of his paper will not be at this level, so it may look a little 'out of place' or suspicious. therefore, (imo) dirty's edit is a little better--it keeps the linguistic style of the original poster, while correcting some critical grammar mistakes. i am definetely guilty of editing the way you do though, because i always want to make whatever i'm editing sound as good as it possibly can.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

SMH. He said "grammar police." Not a single one of you is in TGP.
smh.gif

You busted out the old sig.
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom