H.I.D. Headlights

My bestfriend's GF is trying to buy him some H.I.D.'s for his upcoming birthday, so she asked me about what kind toget him...So i was wondering what brand or brands have good quality H.I.D's??

Retro fit some projectors in there, drop-in kits dont always look too good in stock housings, they cause alot of scatter. Honestly the only drop in kit I wouldconsider is the phillips HID kit. They are top quality stuff

Most HID kits are generic kits with poor quality. Almost everyone I know that has one of these kits has issues ranging from the bulbs burning out to flickeringto bad ballasts. Most of these kits are available on Ebay for a few hundred dollars.

Philips makes an Ultinon HID kit but those will cost you about $400. I would assume those would be good quality because Philips HID bulbs are high quality.

Whatever brand you go with, do not go past 6000K. You lose alot of lumens and it makes driving in the rain a difficult task.

As for HID kits, like others have mentioned, they are not ideal as they create alot of extra glare scattered everywhere.

do a retro fit HID conversion. Looks WAAAAAY better than plug-n-play kits
smile.gif

Originally Posted by are owe double s

Xenon

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
"Xenon" is just another word for HID. It's not really abrand, it's basically the name of the gas used in certain lights such as H.I.D.s

sfgr415 pretty much nailed it with the facts. I suggest looking into a company that manufacturers OEM lights for car manufacturers. Just like sfgr415 suggest,the Phillips brand would reliable. For maximum light output go with 4300K (which is normally stock HID setup in most cars) As sfgr415 mentioned, anything past6000K is dark, barely visible and most likely for show.

I wouldn't bother with those cheap HID kits off ebay. I would only use them if I were putting them in some fog lights since I'm not so concerned withthe light outpput in my fogs.

The difference between 4300K and 6000K is pretty big. I really like the color of 6000K, but I like the visibility with 4300K. On my G35, I am runningcolor-modded TSX projectors in place of the stock frensel projector lense. I get the best of both worlds because I have the color flicker and I still have4300K bulbs. I am going back to stock lenses so I will see how I feel about 4300K.

On my G35 reflector housings, I am happy with the appearance of 4300K but in my G35 projector housings, the 4300Ks look a bit yellow.

Originally Posted by xhieroglyphicsx

yes everyones gonna say retrofit blah blah we know but truth is most people don't have the money, time or know how.

That is not a valid reason to go around blinding people though.

you can get some with shields that will cut out the high beam for those who have reflective housing, but i agree with you that some people dont do any researchand just put anything in their cars, im not saying to do that. i guess im trying to say that you can achieve a decent HID headlight with a kit and a retrofitis not feasable for everyone

if the stock housing doesnt have projectors dont get h.i.d headlights your going to blind every oncoming car. Just get some philips extremes

if you live in an area with no fog.. go for it... but if you have fog.. dont even bother.. very dangerous

I really like the look of HIDs too, but always figured it was a hassle. Looks like i was right.

Luckily, i just bought a TL with factory xenons.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by stepinitup

cant u get a ticket for that?
and how much are the tickets?

Not sure on the price, but you can definitely get a ticket for having HID's on a non-hid equipped vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom