Hamilton Play Writer set to debut "In Da Heights" movie in 2020

nachobroadweezy nachobroadweezy

Are you Hispanic?

If so where does your family originate?

If not, where does your family originate? (Race/Ethnicity)

Both parents Dominican. Mom immigrated to the Heights in 1975 and owned a hair salon on 181 St. I went to St Rose of Lima until 5th Grade then moved to Santo Domingo 5th to 7th grade early 90s. Came back and been in Northern NJ since 1994. The Dominican population in Northern NJ particularly Paterson is growing rapidly due to high rents in the city.

Just pointing out Dominicans up here don’t **** with the presidentes from the us. Modelo is closer to Dominican presidente than the us version and has higher alcohol percentage.

Yeah I know, Brazilian company inBev purchased 50% of Presidente and they're notorious for decreasing quality in order to increase profits. They also purchased Annheiser Busch and turned Becks to crap. I don't know why Uptown Dominicans drink so many Corona when there's a Stella available.

Get all the way outta here blaming cancel culture for this white washing. The movie was based on a neighborhood that has a DISTINCT majority demographic and it was the demographic least represented. You’re basically saying all Latinos are the same and we should get behind the movie because it’s about Latinos. Na man **** that you can’t substitute Dominican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Mexican etc culture for each other. They are all distinctively different from each other.

I'm acknowledging the mistake with the lead actress being a white passing Mexican latina.
I do believe the nit-picking cancelling is overboard due to the lack of Latin Hollywood films.

Could you imagine a musical named Harlem and people upset Beyonce was cast in the lead....

You from jersey man not uptown

No sh#t!
Imagine my Mom sending me to George Washington High School in the 90s, like many Latino mothers...they run to the suburbs striving for a better life for the next generation. When we could have purchased a brownstone on 162nd St and had a $1 Million+ asset

I understand her thinking, our building was across the street on 162nd where Kiko Garcia was murdered by the police and the epicenter of the 90s riots

Last edited:
No sh#t!
Imagine my Mom sending me to George Washington High School in the 90s, like many Latino mothers...they run to the suburbs striving for a better life for the next generation. When we could have purchased the brownstone across the street on 162nd St and had a $1 Million+ asset

I went to dubs and I’m doing ok now as a pharmacist. You have the mindset of what we call a “come mierda” the people that move across the bridge or elsewhere and think they are so much better than the people and neighborhood they left behind

I went to dubs and I’m doing ok now as a pharmacist. You have the mindset of what we call a “come mierda” the people that move across the bridge or elsewhere and think they are so much better than the people and neighborhood they left behind

Read with less clouded emotions. If I thought that I wouldn't be active in Uptown community organizations and various workshops I haven't mentioned. I'm describing the mindset my single mother had at the time that motivated her to move out to the suburbs escaping the drugs and violence hence the influx in Bergen and Passaic County NJ over the last 20 years . And congrats, Dominican Power! What year did you graduate?

inda copy.jpg
He is 1\4 jewish

that's enough genetic Jewish blood to make antisemitic conspiracy theories

I could understand this, it's still majority latino. I guess.
They had casting faults, no doubt.

It's just mind-blowing Niketalkers expected a documentary on Washington Heights & a Ninjahood cameo.

You had to understand and perhaps educated yourself on the source material better and how cheesy musicals are. Or better, if you're Latino, go see Hamilton and then go see every other Broadway play for comparison.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210616-151733.png
    Screenshot_20210616-151733.png
    829.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
man keeps grouping all Latinos together like they are the same. Again the movie is based on Washington heights you know the place thats called little Dominican Republic and the movie had little Dominican influence and more Puerto Rican than anything.

man keeps grouping all Latinos together like they are the same. Again the movie is based on Washington heights you know the place thats called little Dominican Republic and the movie had little Dominican influence and more Puerto Rican than anything.

Why would you hate that Lin expanded to include our Rican, cuban, Pan-American brothers and sisters? The movie is 95% Latin, Heights is 80%. Frío Frio & Piragua, you see yourself how our Caribbean cultures interwine.
Which Dominican actors would you have casted in the top 4 roles instead?
When year did you graduate GWHS?

Are there truly zero Puerto Ricans in WH.? Then are there zero Dominicans in Spanish Harlem and the LES? Anybody that's been to a tailor shop in LES knows that's ignorant.

Last edited:
Which Dominican actors would you have casted in the top 4 roles?

What year did you graduate Gdub?
They could've casted ppl from that neighborhood. The trailer/cast from that movie doesn't represent that neighbor. It represents typical whitewashing and displacement of darker skin. Specifically the lot of latinos that majorly exhibit West African features. That's not progress, it's racism/discrimination.

I remember that year Jharrel Jerome won his Emmy only to have Dascha Polanco & John Leguizamo funny style ranted bout how latinos don't get representation despite him awarded for lead actor. Seeing someone do that w/ familiar ethnic background that looked like me meant a lot, and they tried to be funny and rain on the parade. Even more nerve being that they aren't a quarter as talented as that kid. They knew he was a Dominican.

They could've casted ppl from that neighborhood. The trailer/cast from that movie doesn't represent that neighbor. It represents typical whitewashing and displacement of darker skin. Specifically the lot of latinos that majorly exhibit West African features. That's not progress, it's racism/discrimination.

I remember that year Jharrel Jerome won his Emmy only to have Dascha Polanco & John Leguizamo funny style ranted bout how latinos don't get representation despite him awarded for lead actor. Seeing someone do that w/ familiar ethnic background that looked like me meant a lot, and they tried to be funny and rain on the parade. Even more nerve being that they aren't a quarter as talented as that kid. They knew he was a Dominican.

Yup, like I mentioned before that kid is a beast actor. Would have loved to see him.

What about the girl tho?..her body type definitely wasn't representative of the neighborhood. Needed more Dashas.

Last edited:
Yup, like I mentioned before that kid is a beast actor. Would have loved to see him.

What about the girl tho?..her body type definitely wasn't representative of the neighborhood. Needed more Dashas.

Oh she's fairly common up their from what I've If they wouldn't to cast this movie accurately all they had to was look up photos from the Dominican Day Parade's. Most of them come down from the Heights to attend it.

Why would you hate that Lin expanded to include our Rican, cuban, Pan-American brothers and sisters? The movie is 95% Latin, Heights is 80%. Frío Frio & Piragua, you see yourself how our Caribbean cultures interwine.
Which Dominican actors would you have casted in the top 4 roles instead?
When year did you graduate GWHS?

Are there truly zero Puerto Ricans in WH.? Then are there zero Dominicans in Spanish Harlem and the LES? Anybody that's been to a tailor shop in LES knows that's ignorant.
Any Dominican actor. The movie is not a proper representation of the neighborhood that’s completely dominated by Dominican culture. Yes they’re are Puerto Rican’s uptown but they are the minority by a wide wide margin and vice versa in el barrio. Les been gentrified long ago and it’s more whites than anything now, they don’t even matter anymore. Jews have a strip where the school is but no cultural reach up there like they do in riverdale or certain parts of Brooklyn

Any Dominican actor. The movie is not a proper representation of the neighborhood that’s completely dominated by Dominican culture. Yes they’re are Puerto Rican’s uptown but they are the minority by a wide wide margin and vice versa in el barrio. Les been gentrified long ago and it’s more whites than anything now, they don’t even matter anymore. Jews have a strip where the school is but no cultural reach up there like they do in riverdale or certain parts of Brooklyn

So you rather see a Dominican actors

It cannot be just any actor, they have to know how to act, dance and sing bruh. You don't just throw $75 million to anybody, it's not worldstarhiphop. Until we stop the crabs in a bucket mentality and start buying the block instead of being renters, it will look like LES very quickly. The white family that have moved to Inwood organized and shut down La Marina in less than a year. I fought it from NJ, not many people living there did. My favorite Dominican restaurant on 173rd & Broadway is not an IHop. And the Jewish have influence you can't even see. They get to shut down the streets in front of their schools so their kids can play. No dominican schools are allowed to do that. And they've raised all the rents and driven many folks to Paterson and The Bronx. I'm happy they showed that in the film to bring more awareness to the slow but eventual gentrification. Like the LES gentrification, the PR parade is about to be moved to Orlando, FL with the rapid decline of Puerto Ricans in NY

Screenshot_20210617-195952.png

Screenshot_20210617-195910.png

|l

Last edited:
So you rather see a Dominican actors

Until we stop the crabs in a bucket mentality and start buying the block instead of being renters, it will look like LES very quickly. The white family that have moved to Inwood organized and shut down La Marina in less than a year. I fought it from NJ, not many people living there did. My favorite Dominican restaurant on 173rd & Broadway is not an IHop. And the Jewish have influence you can't even see. They get to shut down the streets in front of their schools so their kids can play. No dominican schools are allowed to do that. And they've raised all the rents and driven many folks to Paterson and The Bronx. I'm happy they showed that in the film to bring more awareness to the slow but eventual gentrification. Like the LES gentrification, the PR parade is about to be moved to Orlando, FL with the rapid decline of Puerto Ricans in NY
Na they don’t have a cultural impact up here. Cultural key word not political. Nobody’s coming up here to buy matzo ball soup and a lox bagel on Purim. You must have missed target backing out of opening a store on 181 due to small business protesting. Or Walgreens backing out of opening a store on 187 and fort Washington and running the Dominican owned supermarket out a few years back. Washington heights is the last neighborhood in Manhattan (maybe Chinatown also) that still feel authentic because of it’s main demographic. this movie failed and just tried to mashed up all Latino culture like it’s all the same which is how certain demographics look at us anyway and couldnt be further from the truth. Also la marina and that dirtbag deserved to be closed long ago. Real racist place to blacks and Afro Latinos.

btw I love that ihop. Place be packed at 4,5,6 am on a weekend with drunks. Tipi was bottom of the barrel compared to near by el malecon and floridiata

Last edited:
They had casting faults, no doubt.

It's just mind-blowing Niketalkers expected a documentary on Washington Heights & a Ninjahood cameo.

You had to understand and perhaps educated yourself on the source material better and how cheesy musicals are. Or better, if you're Latino, go see Hamilton and then go see every other Broadway play for comparison.

From what I am reading, people weren't EXPECTING (due to the standards Hollywood has already set) an accurate representation but that doesn't mean folks shouldn't voice their displeasure.

You accused me of trolling but all you have done in this thread was essentially tell people they have no right to feel slighted by this project.

If you honestly step back and look at your postings here, it REALLY comes off as, "You all should be happy you got SOMETHING so shutup and take IT."

Back
Top Bottom