Hamilton Play Writer set to debut "In Da Heights" movie in 2020

As much as we would like to embrace our African heritage and display ot for world to see, as Latinos of mixed race, we know that there is a limit to the extent in which we can showcase our pride.

I think that’s why so many of us just prefer to solely identify as Latino and not a particular race, because for many of us it’s complicated. We can never fully embrace the identity of one full race.
I come in Peace.

What makes you think there is a limit and why does an individual have to adhere to that "limit/box?"

From what I read (please correct me if I am wrong because I could BE), it seems that you might WANT to but something is holding you back.

What is that something.

Or are you saying since you are "mixed" with so many things showing pride in one area indirectly suppresses the other areas?

I come in Peace.

What makes you think there is a limit and why does an individual have to adhere to that "limit/box?"

From what I read (please correct me if I am wrong because I could BE), it seems that you might WANT to but something is holding you back.

What is that something.

Or are you saying since you are "mixed" with so many things showing pride in one area indirectly suppresses the other areas?
I guess the limit would be cultural appropriation in a sense.
I imagine self identifying as an Afro-Latino or black has its limits. These actors who are light skinned, but CLEARLY not white can very well identify themselves as Afro-Latino by their own standards (assuming they have some sort of African heritage). Yet the consensus I’m getting is that self identifying as black is not enough.

And I guess that is where the limit is drawn. Even if the invidual self identifies themselves as afro-Latino and fully embraces their heritage, society will tell you that it’s not enough, and understandingly so. There are struggles and obstacles that aren’t shared, and being of mixed race, I have to be sensitive to it regardless of how I identify myself as.

How many Dominicans in this pic? See Puerto Rican’s, Mexicans and a Argentinian tho. This like making a film about Latinos in south beach and casting a bunch of Costa Rican’s to play Cubans. It’s not the same seasoning
For real, isn't it in New York? There's a **** load of Afro-Latino's over there.

so basically after only glancing at this thread :

the director wanted to make a film where people that look like him were represented but made a film where ONLY(or mostly) people that look like him were represented and ignored everybody else that lives there?

So you telling me I can’t be mad cause they came out with a movie based on my neighborhood with no cast member that looks like me or any one in my family. Starting to believe you on the films payroll capping real hard for half jew Miranda. The cast was Latin but not the Latino demographic of the neighborhood the movie represents and was shoot in. Way more Puerto Rican influence than Dominican including the main actor/s.

He is 1\4 Jewish.
so basically after only glancing at this thread :

the director wanted to make a film where people that look like him were represented but made a film where ONLY(or mostly) people that look like him were represented and ignored everybody else that lives there?

Not the director, the creator and principal writer Lin Manuel Miranda. Basically. I'm glad Lin Manuel is acknowledging the feedback and understanding there's room for him to improve. Especially being a Latino that can pass as white. He was also raised in the Riverview Co-Op Inwood side by a clinical psychologist and the founder of a democratic organization so he didn't have the same struggles as many residents.

If there were more Latino Hollywood films, there would be less complaining. Unfortunately this is one of the few and we get to cancel culture it to death. The biggest mistake was the white Mexican actress, ain't no natural six pack in the heights after all the beer and rum drinking.

Last edited:
If you were really from the heights you know nobody drinking the presidentes from the bodega. Those are produce by Miller in Milwaukee. Nothing like the presidentes back home produced locally. They hit different. Everybody drink modelos, coors, corona and blue moons now out here

edit: its Anheuser Busch not Miller

Question. Would you have preferred to see Corona or Modelo beer in the movie for authenticity instead of the National Dominican beer?

So i saw about an hour snd half of this super corny and superficial film.

I think enough brown people were represented. But yes, its a very puerto rican, traditionally appealing tropes of new york hispanics.

i saw it as a disney movie. Its not for us really. The music is just abysmal and played out.

maybe when i finish i can understand what its trying to relay. But its just so corny.

I Hate musicals by the way. So theres that. But the choreography is good at least.

inda copy.jpg
Yooooooo :rofl:

So i saw about an hour snd half of this super corny and superficial film.

I think enough brown people were represented. But yes, its a very puerto rican, traditionally appealing tropes of new york hispanics.

i saw it as a disney movie. Its not for us really. The music is just abysmal and played out.

maybe when i finish i can understand what its trying to relay. But its just so corny.

I Hate musicals by the way. So theres that. But the choreography is good at least.

Enough? It was on 1 Darker person as a sub main character and 2 background dancers :lol:

How and Why do you feel it was represented properly? Legit question.

He is 1\4 Jewish.

Not the director, the creator and principal writer Lin Manuel Miranda. Basically. I'm glad Lin Manuel is acknowledging the feedback and understanding there's room for him to improve. Especially being a Latino that can pass as white. He was also raised in the Riverview Co-Op Inwood side by a clinical psychologist and the founder of a democratic organization so he didn't have the same struggles as many residents.

If there were more Latino Hollywood films, there would be less complaining. Unfortunately this is one of the few and we get to cancel culture it to death. The biggest mistake was the white Mexican actress, ain't no natural six pack in the heights after all the beer and rum drinking.
Get all the way outta here blaming cancel culture for this white washing. The movie was based on a neighborhood that has a DISTINCT majority demographic and it was the demographic least represented. You’re basically saying all Latinos are the same and we should get behind the movie because it’s about Latinos. Na man **** that you can’t substitute Dominican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Mexican etc culture for each other. They are all distinctively different from each other.

Enough? It was on 1 Darker person as a sub main character and 2 background dancers :lol:

How and Why do you feel it was represented properly? Legit question.

im basing it off the montages of people in the neighborhood which showed numerous brown and black characters. and ive seen more than 2 dancers.

As for the main protagnist In the films. Yes they are light skinned. Which is an issue. Look, the main character is puerto rican. So is ricky smits.
all claiming dominican. So theres issues there.

But this hollywood. That **** was expected. Based off the criticism, i just thought it would be completely white-looking actors

Back
Top Bottom