Has anyone ever had a "Final Grade" bumped up 1%?

I'm in a dilemma with my professors right now.

I have two courses in which I need a slight bump for my gpa.

I have an average of 79.83%.

I have another class that I have a 89%. 

it's possible.

Usually it's something the prof would do on their own if they rock with you and you mentioned it before.

Straight up asking last minute might come off a little too strong, though.

Last edited:
I need this percent bump so that I can accept this job offer early and not go to summer school.

Gotten that bump a few times. None of my professors ever had any problem since I always did my work on time. 

Yea usually to get bumps, the professors just do it themselves. Well, at least the ones with some common sense and sympathy.

They won't round the 79.8 up on their own?

Approach your teacher(s) respectfully one on one and explain to them the stakes - that you need this to take a job. They like to know kids want to work. Ask them if there's anything you could do to for extra credit.

But, you say "professors" - what college gives grades on percentages of 100 scale? Don't you get letter grades that are translated into a GPA?

N + 1 theory says you should have 100%

But you didn't even earn the 80

sooooooo.......

They went to college too, so they should understand what it means to be bumped up 1% on a grade. If talking to them doesn't work try offering some $$$ lol.

They won't round the 79.8 up on their own?

Approach your teacher(s) respectfully one on one and explain to them the stakes - that you need this to take a job. They like to know kids want to work. Ask them if there's anything you could do to for extra credit.

But, you say "professors" - what college gives grades on percentages of 100 scale? Don't you get letter grades that are translated into a GPA?
My assignments are automatically added up to a percentage (online program), but the professor can adjust when they report the final grade. Don't know how that happens in-class though.

Yes. Be friends with your teachers. Best investment you can make.

At the same time, don't expect it. That is the grade YOU earned

Last edited:
My assignments are automatically added up to a percentage (online program), but the professor can adjust when they report the final grade. Don't know how that happens in-class though.

Ahh. So, you don't even have direct contact with the professor(s)?

In actuality, that might be able to work to your advantage because you could take the time to lay out your case uninterrupted in a well-worded email.

The problem with that though is that they probably don't want to be "on the record" just willy nilly acquiescing to grade adjustments, so definitely offer extra course work or something because if there's a [virtual] paper trail, they'll probably want something other than "being a nice person" to justify the bump. ...That's all assuming they weren't willing to do it anyway.

Listen to this man.

During your college era, your professors will likely be the class of people who can most readily help open doors for you. And, many of them enjoy doing it.

Ahh. So, you don't even have direct contact with the professor(s)?

In actuality, that might be able to work to your advantage because you could take the time to lay out your case uninterrupted in a well-worded email.

The problem with that though is that they probably don't want to be "on the record" just willy nilly acquiescing to grade adjustments, so definitely offer extra course work or something because if there's a [virtual] paper trail, they'll probably want something other than "being a nice person" to justify the bump. ...That's all assuming they weren't willing to do it anyway.
I'm in a master's program, so I wouldn't even attempt to get my grade bumped anyway. Also already got that 4.0 this year 
smokin.gif

Agree with most of the comments in here though. I hope to be a college professor one day (part time at least), and I would have no problem giving a one point bump to a student who showed dedication and a desire to actually put in good work. 

Listen to this man.

During your college era, your professors will likely be the class of people who can most readily help open doors for you. And, many of them enjoy doing it.

This is what people fail to realize. Treat your professors like an interviewer. You wanna be the class dumbass, come in late, barley pass, well when the time comes it'll come back to haunt you. They've done what you wanna do, and they know who you wanna know.

^A lot of people don't figure that out until their last year or semester in HS/college when they need recommendations. It's always beneficial to have a good number of teachers/professors in your back pocket early on

Had one professor who had 390 total points as the cutoff for a B-. I got a 389.5 and got a C+. Dude refused to help me out :lol: at least that course wasn't for my major

To answer your question, depends on the professor. And how well they know you or how much effort you put in.

Pretty much all the classes at my school in the college of engineering, most grades are curved at the end to begin with due to the level of difficulty. A professor will help you out if you he knows your office aka (go to every class, submit every assignment on time, and most importantly GO TO HIS OFFICE HOURS). Going to office hours should be a natural thing to behind with. You're Paying thousands of dollars, make the best of it.

For an example. I had an 8am nuclear lab at the reactor on campus. I was 10 min late because it was raining and I missed the bus. I missed sign in at the security hate and the guard wouldn't let me in. Called my professor on his cell and he went into the pouring rain to let me in. He was pissed but he said "you're lucky I like you". And that's because I go to his office hours once a week with questions. And I've established that professional relationship with him.

Students try to get by with the bare minimum amount of effort and work without realizing that this will be detrimental to their career because they aren't really learning anything. You're paying so much many a year, make the best of it OP

Yes. I flat out asked and based on the "curve" in this class he gave me the B- instead of the C+.

:smokin

Some supply chain mgmt class too....I had zero interest and don't use any of the information in my career.

Last semester in college.
Its true you should take advantage and network with your professors. But unfortunately I didn't do too much of that.

invest in some kneepads bruh. Good luck.

Nah, just talk to your professors and see what they can do. It might work.

Listen to this man.

I see what you're saying but it doesn't work with every professor. I've seen both sides of it. 

UPDATE:

My professor emailed me back and said I can stop by his office in a few weeks to check and see if any work had errors when it was graded.

I will definitely be going, any tips for people who ever experienced a similar scenario?

Back
Top Bottom