Have you stopped going to church?

One day I was thinking that if my parents where to raise me Muslim, I probably wouldn't believe that Jesus was the savior and would swear up and down byIslam. This made me realize that I only believed Christianity because that was what I was raised to believe was true, which didn't necessarily make ittrue. I've stopped going since about October of last year, and I've never felt better. IMO being spiritual > religious.

Originally Posted by Roc Boy Jada

Yes. My family is the only reason I attended church as frequently as I did as a child.

I have no intentions of going back.

gone twice for a viewing and christening.. So I haven't been to a church in 13.. And in almost 20 years of life have been to church twice.

I have a good relationship with god, but I haven't been in like 5yrs an im 19, I probably been like only 20x in my life, Im not proud of it but its justhow it is,

I haven't been in years but I decided to go today. I think I've been a total of five times and I'm 21 years old.

Haven't been in years. I've only considered going to a church service recently just to see some females (deployed overseas and bored). But at thispoint in my life I would honestly start a church before I would "join" or regularly attend one.

"Don't ask... I said don't ask... I said [color= rgb(102, 0, 51)]DON'TAAAAASK...[/color] no questioooooonnnnnnnnns. Just give the money"
pimp.gif

I went to nearly every sunday and wednesday service for three years straight from 12-14 years old. I finally realized I was going only for the fun part-talking and joking with everybody, playing video games and air hockey before wednesday service started (my church was cool
laugh.gif
), and realized I hated theactual service part. It was extremely boring. After I stopped going and did a little more research, I also realized I don't agree with christianity, and Idon't think I'll ever go again.

Originally Posted by ProduccionFrescos

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I stopped going around 6 4 years ago (I used to only go once every few months though).. Gave up on organized religion.[/color]

Fixed. Once I started to realize what the church really was, I couldn't associate myself with it.

I used to go consistently, but when I got into high school I didn't; symphonic/marching band and misuse of time management affected me going. I alwaysended up doing late homework Sunday. I do my best to go at least once in a while...

In Firoozeh Dumas', Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America, I really liked what her father said about religion:

"As you grow older you will find that people of every religion think they're the best, but that's not true . . .[there's always going to begood and bad people in every religion] You have to look and see what's in their hearts. That's the only thing that matters, and that's the onlydetail God cares about."

I haven't gone in 2 years and I don't know when I'm going back. I really just like sleeping in on Sundays.

I recently just started going back to Lakewood. Its a nice place to see women. Its a bit distracting because its such a production.

I only went when my mother would force me to.

Church (and organized religion), in my opinion, is a waste of time, effort, and money.

I LOVE my church. I stopped going to church for about 18 months then I returned to my current church and I am there almost every sunday and weds. I alsoparticipate in the dance and praise ministry.

I think using hypocrisy in a church as an excuse not to go is ridiculous. If your current or past church does not feel right to you then move to another churchhome.

If you disliked hypocrits so much then you would not go to work, school, the club...

One of the purposes of church is to come in and learn things that will make you more like Christ (patience, humbleness, love, perseverance........)

So why are you so worried about what the person on the pew/seat next to you is doing?

BTW it is really offensive to stereotype people. If you have a comment or opinion about previous experiences great, but don't read this post and group mewith every negative experience you have had with church. If someone has a serious question I will be glad to share my views.

Originally Posted by ddrtronco

I used to go consistently, but when I got into high school I didn't; symphonic/marching band and misuse of time management affected me going. I always ended up doing late homework Sunday. I do my best to go at least once in a while...

In Firoozeh Dumas', Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America, I really liked what her father said about religion:

"As you grow older you will find that people of every religion think they're the best, but that's not true . . .[there's always going to be good and bad people in every religion] You have to look and see what's in their hearts. That's the only thing that matters, and that's the only detail God cares about."
Pretty much can relate to or agree with 200% of what u just said.

When High School came along, I realized church was pretty boring because everyone who attened was either way older or too young for me to talk with. the onlyperson to talk to was mom and she wanted me to staight shut up
laugh.gif
(I meani know that's not what church is about, but it almost feels like a chore when your in that situation, and why not just sleep? I only get 2 mornings ofunlimited sleep, I really wanna use both real talk).

but I go to a catholic High school, so I get my church time there. Don't know what's going to happen when I go to college though.

it's only been about 8 to 9 months for me, but i'm most likely never going back.
never liked the people who said "church is soo boring!", but i don't want to go.
no offence to anyone, but ignorance in there can be pretty, pretty high..

Back
Top Bottom