HBO Documentary: San Francisco 2.0

I hate Alameda is like a spot to live now. That place was hot trash back in the days. Crazy to think the housing market is higher there now than say Contra Costa area. The benefit in living in an area like Contra Costa back in the days was cause they had newer houses out there. Now with the housing development in Alameda and it being closer to SF, it's more of a hot commodity now.

Haha homes in fremont selling for 1million+ good thing my family scooped up 4 of em back in the day for 3-400k... Thanks techies

^^^Something seems off about those pricings. Most places in Civic Center are studios and they're not even close to that $3k range. You can even get a 1 bedroom less than what they are saying.

I hate Alameda is like a spot to live now. That place was hot trash back in the days. Crazy to think the housing market is higher there now than say Contra Costa area. The benefit in living in an area like Contra Costa back in the days was cause they had newer houses out there. Now with the housing development in Alameda and it being closer to SF, it's more of a hot commodity now.

Right and Oakland, so it's considered more "central"

Chinatown is still Chinatown imo but honestly I hardly go there but when I do, the people that go seem to be the same old folks. I don't think people want to necessarily live there cause the foot traffic during the day is pretty insane. There are a lot of tech companies there but I think they neighbor the area if any. One time I was walking through the area going to North Beach and there were a ton of people in this old Chinese bar called Li Po and I had to go in and wonder what was up. Apparently it was a happy hour from some tech company. That bar used to be nothing but Chinese locals and it flooded with tech people. The bar tender even has a signature Chinese Mai Tai. Haha. At least that bar is getting paper now but watch it closes down.

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/07/28/san-franciscos-chinatown-fears-evictions-and-gentrification

it's happening slowly, but the mayor isnt dumb enough to sell all of chinatown
http://archives.sfexaminer.com/sanf...ns-halted-by-mayor-ed-lee/Content?oid=2924904

outside of grant/stockton streets a lot of chinese have been forced out, but the heart of chinatown is still the same.
Is Chinatown being gentrified too or nah?

There are some tech startups nearby there on broadway now

i think there is this co-op workplace that took over some old building that got people riled up.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Chinatown-clash-Co-working-space-other-tech-6234741.php

a few restaurants on broadway lost their lease

i was walking past chinatown a few wks ago. everything seems the same, but just outside the main parts, you can tell there were a lot of transplants. you can see yoga studios, coffee shops, restaurants taking over some of the smaller businesses that use to be there.

Last edited:
it'll be interesting to see what happens to chinatown. the triad is still heavy in chinatown, and unlike african american and latino communities, they stick together. good luck dealing with those fools. i know shrimp boy's goons still running chinatown.

i was very surprised to see those startups by broadway, tho.

Last edited:
Yeah those startups on broadway right by Larry Flynt's Hustler club and all the Deja Vu establishments 
laugh.gif

But yup that's the reality of "The City" and what's going on in other popular cities all over the world.

Did not watch, but before I get into it do you mean "one of those cities where people had to learn that they arent entitled to live wherever the **** they want and instead of *****ing about high prices they should learn a skill?"

yeah i feel bad for yall out there forreal. 

the amount yall spend rent on an apartment monthly could be your mortgage down here for a huge *** house. 

that's really sad. 

almost as sad as working for mcdonalds for 20 years w/ 3 kids and then asking the president to raise minimum wage. 

No way in hell I'm paying 1500 for a "room". For 3k u can rent a mini mansion here in the suburbs with a pool and 4 car garage and rookie athletes as neighbors.

yeah i feel bad for yall out there forreal. 
the amount yall spend rent on an apartment monthly could be your mortgage down here for a huge *** house. 

that's really sad. 

almost as sad as working for mcdonalds for 20 years w/ 3 kids and then asking the president to raise minimum wage. 

:rolleyes :stoneface:

Last edited:
Paying $1700 / mo on rent. 2 bedroom / 2 bath I'm sharing with a friend. 

Looking at the numbers on paper, the lifestyle is excessive. We live in a world where everybody believes they are going to be rich. The main contributing factors are 1)The VC's in Sand Hill Road are throwing outrageous amounts of money at startups with ideas,  searching for that Unicorn Company, knowing damn well 90% of their investments will flop, hoping that 10% will cover those L's and make them rich at the same time. and 2) As a result, Companies hiring without any discipline, ignoring fundamentals about operating profits assuming their valuations will sky rocket, 3) Mayor Ed Lee giving these companies incentives to gentrify parts of SF, and 4) The belief that through these brilliant ideas, we'll all be billionares. 

The reality is the market will correct itself, and there will be a handful of companies that churn out a bunch of millionares and billionares, and many more companies with ideas that fade with people who go broke and become obsolete as the tech paradigm continues to shift with time. 

I've had to make some fundamental changes to live where I live. Selling my car. Taking advantage of every perk my Company offers to save cash, like eating breakfast, lunch and dinner in office. I've compromised saving to live in the moment. I've had a hell of a time. Smashed some bad girls in the city that I wouldn't have in the burbs. But this isn't sustainable. Enjoying it while it lasts, and mentally preparing myself for that moment when it's to check out. With the salary I'm making, I'm able to keep rent at around 20%, which is all right with me. 

Back
Top Bottom