HBO's "GIRLS" Vol. "That Was Way Harsh, Tai"...

It's no conspiracy, be serious. It's been picked up, a cheap show with Apatow's backing and a couple awards, they wouldn't cancel it.

adam running across town was corny as hell, and punk *** dude is getting played by marnie im pretty sure that artist dude will come back for her and snatch her off his arm.

she only came back to him after she realized he was doing well 
mean.gif

he fell for her trap, i was very disapointed with this last episode.

Thing that gets me is that the first season showed promise. But this one just every single character started annoying me at one point. The best episode was when Ray and Adam were interacting but other than that season was garbage.

Bring back How to make it in America!

Last edited:
There was a part of me loving this show during the first season cause I seen it as kind of a replacement for how to make it in America.  After this season, I'm good. Give me how to make it in America again, hbo. 

what a cop out of an episode, pretty much made the whole series pointless..... hannah is a fat pig, how someone suppose to care bout her when she giving dome to a cool whip container 24/7

Last edited:
It's no conspiracy, be serious. It's been picked up, a cheap show with Apatow's backing and a couple awards, they wouldn't cancel it.
maybe conspiracy was a little far
laugh.gif
but seriously, i don't even understand how it won any awards in the first place, apatow backing or not. i don't put much stock in the golden globes, but this won best tv comedy series. i can't recall the last time i laughed at one of the female characters besides shoshana. i guess i just think girls receives a staggering amount of critical praise that isn't tantamount to the quality of the show. there are people out there who really consider lena dunham the "voice of a generation".  really? without adam and ray the show would be unbearable.

maybe the finale just left it on a bad note imo
ohwell.gif

maybe conspiracy was a little far
laugh.gif
but seriously, i don't even understand how it won any awards in the first place, apatow backing or not. i don't put much stock in the golden globes, but this won best tv comedy series. i can't recall the last time i laughed at one of the female characters besides shoshana. i guess i just think girls receives a staggering amount of critical praise that isn't tantamount to the quality of the show. there are people out there who really consider lena dunham the "voice of a generation".  really? without adam and ray the show would be unbearable.

maybe the finale just left it on a bad note imo
ohwell.gif
All true words.

I feel like HBO would have a truly great show if they found a happy medium between How To Make It In America and Girls.

All true words.

I feel like HBO would have a truly great show if they found a happy medium between How To Make It In America and Girls.
Word.  Bu amongst all the disappointments this season, the show still had its moments due to the wide spectrum of personalities on the show. They can  right the wrongs by achieving that healthy balance between make it in America and the show itself. We'll see soon enough. 

I wanted to like this season, but it was just too much for me.

The cast is too white. I tried to deal with it, but ONE episode with ONE black dude and it had to be some well-known-to-cool-white-people black dude at that, and then the doorman. Should have had Marnie fall for Juelz Santana instead of the Lonely Island dude and have her deal with trying to support him while he attempts to make a comeback and figure out how she can explain to the rest of teh cast why she's so into 'Tana without just saying "C'mon guys! Swag, big d's, money! I'm all in." Then she makes her descent from super-white Marnie to WSHH Honey "Marnie Moet" and by the end when she comes back to that simp and gives that "I wanna have your brown babies" speech its more fun to laugh at son. Hell, make it A$AP Ferg and I would suggest this show to anyone who will listen.

The story between Hannah and Adam is completely unrealistic. Like, at first it was "this must be what girls wish a guy would do." But now, it's "Man, this show makes me think women shouldn't be trusted with expressing their ideas through television production." I watched the season finale with a girl I have recently broke up with, and me pointing out just how great Adam's new girl is and how much Hannah has ruined Adam's life made it so that I could WIO with no questions asked. When I broke up with her I flat out told her "I'm broke and having you as a girlfriend is messing with my mental health. I can no longer afford to simp on you financially or emotionally." Somehow the dudes in this show made me look like I was the most manly man in the world. I'm talmbout simply NOT being as bad a simp as those dudes had me in them guts. And I was simpin in my days with her (no longer though guys i went back and got into Max B and read Russell Brand's "My Booky Wook").

Those are my main two gripes with the show. Aside from that I like it and feel like Lena Dunham's a really great writer. But this season finale just left me wondering what Ben, Cam, and Domingo are doing.

So you dislike how one woman has written, directed, and acted in her own show, and you now question all  women with their own show?

Tina Fey would like a word with you. Liz Meriwether, the creator of New Girl might also disagree. Emily Kapnek of Suburgatory is also a very competent female television showrunner. Megan Ganz, one of the best writers for Community. And so on... 

The show is too white, but so was Friends. So was Seinfeld. So is How I Met Your Mother. I don't watch Big Bang Theory regularly, but I don't ever see a black character when I catch a couple minutes. How many black lead characters are there on network TV? Television is too white. Girls is too.. but that's a problem beyond their show and I don't think it's as bad as most.

My problem with this finale and season in general is what we're supposed to take from it. Maybe that's part of the larger themes, that stories don't always conclude neatly and sometimes you end up right back where you start. Marnie is back with the guy. Hannah didn't write but is with Adam. Jessa got pregnant in real life so her story is over this season. Shoshanna and Ray were solid. She'll sow her wild oats, he got his life together and is finally making a career out of his job. They were the best part of the season.

I'll read the season ending recaps and articles for the show and figure out where I'm standing. Not as funny as last season. Still inconsistent. Lena Dunham is a far better director and writer than an actor. Whatever credit and praise she earns for her writing and self-aware criticism gets lost when she is such a bad actor. 

Bruh I love Seinfeld, but there's a difference in how they did it versus Friends.

Seinfeld was about some white people, but there were so many supporting characters of varying ethnicities it showed they lived in a multicultural world.

Friends just threw Aisha Tyler in an episode and said "Seee?!?!" Just like Girls did with Childish.

I guess the "cast" being too white wasn't what I meant to say. These people seem to live in Brooklyn and NEVER encounter anyone not white, except for Shoshanna. Hell, Donald Glover's character basically explained how I feel about the whole thing when he broke up with Hannah. So in two seasons of a TV show based in Brooklyn, you have a total of 4 non-white people actually having conversations with these people, and that's including the doctor that took the q-tip outta Hannah's ear.

How I Met You're Mother isn't taking itself as seriously as Girls is. It's not trying to convince you it's groundbreaking or that it speaks for a generation. Girls, on the other hand, tries to pick up where HTMIIA left off in terms off telling America "this is what the young hip urban kids are up to" but in a much more serious pseudo-Joycean way. Like, HTMIIA was trying too hard to be hip and funny, in a sense this could be compared to a writer trying to recreate Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest" and failing. But Girls tried harder in a more serious way more analytical and subversive in its humor, like a writer trying to recreate Joyce's "Dubliners" and failing. One failure is a little easier to digest and still be entertained by than the other.

When it comes to women writing....have you heard of hyperbole? Could you not detect that? I'm over here talking about Marnie getting dug out by Juelz and/or Fergenstein. C'mon, bruh I'm not even going to apologize or explain myself for that one. The whole thing about watching it with my ex and reading My Booky Wook is true though.

Like I said, it's very obvious that Lena Dunham is a really good writer and a very intuitive director and a good enough actress. There's a reason why I watched two seasons of this show in order to have these complaints. But these are my complaints.

At the end of the day, How To Make It In America was better, because it didn't take itself seriously; it was way more fun to watch and even though the characters weren't as interesting or as well fleshed out as they are on Girls, there's one glaring disparity: The relationships in HTMIIA were way more believable than Girls. And Girls depends way more heavily on its relationships to move the story than HTMIIA did.

[NORE] what what?! [/NORE]

Last edited:
That voice of a generation is the most overblown part of the criticism. In context it was Hannah talking out her *** and showed us how delusional she could be. It was used in promos, that was a mistake.

There's no indication you were being hyperbolic... Mostly because the criticism around this show has often been mysgonstic and citing issues with the show as being the fault of Dunham's gender and nothing else. So I'm glad you weren't serious, but the joke itself speaks to thelarger issue.

And I don't know what How to make it in America has to do with Girls criticism. I've never thought about that shoe whenever I've watched Girls. It's overrated on Niketalk anyway. It was a promising show that had its moments but that's about it.

Last edited:
I'm not with those comparisons/references, either.

Girls isn't ever going to be How to Make It in America with white females.

I love(d) both shows, but How to Make It in America was hollow. It was almost completely material. The relationship-driven nature of Girls is flawed at times, but it's still a better show because of it. Girls has gone places that How to Make It in America didn't and couldn't have ever went, because there was really nothing to draw off of.

Last edited:
Absolutely dreadful finale.

Marnie's BF guy w/e his name is such a goddamn simp, it's ridiculous. Adam's just as bad sprinting to Hannah's house after she dropped him like a bad habit after she got him. :smh:

Last edited:
So is Charlie still the man or nah?

Adam's just as bad sprinting to Hannah's house after she dropped him like a bad habit after she got him.

He played her throughout season 1 then he caught feelings and the roles got reversed. They're pretty much even.

Hell no. One of the first things that comes out of her mouth was the ole "i just want you to know i dont love you for the money" type lines. Can't believe that dummy fell hook,line and sinker into her trap.

Gotta love the fairy tale ending for all girls

So true Marnie ends up with Charlie simp
Adam runs back to Hannah literally. While he had an awesome girl.
Shoshanna ends it with ray after she cheated told him she only held hands with the door man.

Hell no. One of the first things that comes out of her mouth was the ole "i just want you to know i dont love you for the money" type lines. Can't believe that dummy fell hook,line and sinker into her trap.

I was being sarcastic. He's always been a loser.

:lol: @ Adams new chick being awesome....She clearly has issues too just a lot more attractive.

Ray is a sucker. Hannah walks over him at work. Mid 30's and can't keep a 19/20 year old in check.

Last edited:
I'm not with those comparisons/references, either.

Girls isn't ever going to be How to Make It in America with white females.

I love(d) both shows, but How to Make It in America was hollow. It was almost completely material. The relationship-driven nature of Girls is flawed at times, but it's still a better show because of it. Girls has gone places that How to Make It in America didn't and couldn't have ever went, because there was really nothing to draw off of.
I never said one should be the other. At least that's not what I meant. I meant that a show about New York that consisted of a happy medium of the two could be great. Where HTMIIA was hollow and seeking to serve as a bastion of urban new york without true substance and proper grounding, Girls is absolutely BLOATED with the whimsical trifling of a director who tries so very hard to be authentic (albeit from a white female perspective) that she has steered an otherwise suitable vehicle over into a lane known as pretense. In layman's terms, HTMIIA tried too hard to keep it real and Girls tries to hard to be real. Both failing, despite intriguing efforts. A great show would do both without trying so very hard.

And there's some validity to the lack of color comment above. Though it doesn't really bother me, Brooklyn DOES have a very diverse population. White people only make up 35% of BK. A number which I'm certain was lower pre-gentrification. Personally, I just want to be entertained and see authentic experiences that make sense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom