Health insurance question

So i don't fit the criteria to qualify for medicad or any other local health benefits here in TX. I haven't had coverage in a little more than a year. I'm in my mid 20's and have no health issues. So the question is for those of you who pay for your own coverage; what do you pay, who do you use, what does your plan provide, etc. I really need to get some coverage because i want to be prepared just in case i need to use it. For example last year i had a really bad cold and went to get checked out, they charged me dame near 350 at the local ER (it was late at night).

So i don't fit the criteria to qualify for medicad or any other local health benefits here in TX. I haven't had coverage in a little more than a year. I'm in my mid 20's and have no health issues. So the question is for those of you who pay for your own coverage; what do you pay, who do you use, what does your plan provide, etc. I really need to get some coverage because i want to be prepared just in case i need to use it. For example last year i had a really bad cold and went to get checked out, they charged me dame near 350 at the local ER (it was late at night).

When I signed my contract with BC/BS it was $107 a month, but now its $147. It is catastrophic care, I have a $3,000 deductible, 5 office visits a years. My co-pays are high and are kinda pointless because some of the doctors offices have lower office visit rates than my co-pay. I'm thinking of canceling it after my contract is up because I'm 28, I haven't been to the doctor for being sick since like 2002. I'm really wasting money. If need be, I can afford a office visit if I really needed to go.

Honestly dude, if you should'nt be using the ER for having a "really bad cold". You should of just went to an Urgent Care center, an office visit is like $50 and probably would have given you a Z-Pack which is free most times.

When I signed my contract with BC/BS it was $107 a month, but now its $147. It is catastrophic care, I have a $3,000 deductible, 5 office visits a years. My co-pays are high and are kinda pointless because some of the doctors offices have lower office visit rates than my co-pay. I'm thinking of canceling it after my contract is up because I'm 28, I haven't been to the doctor for being sick since like 2002. I'm really wasting money. If need be, I can afford a office visit if I really needed to go.

Honestly dude, if you should'nt be using the ER for having a "really bad cold". You should of just went to an Urgent Care center, an office visit is like $50 and probably would have given you a Z-Pack which is free most times.

Originally Posted by rashi

Yeah i see what you mean. I had a bad cold but i thought it was worse. I guess my main concern is just being prepared. I want to get some basic exams and test done but paying out of pocket is expensive. I need to get blood work done(sugar levels and things like that), i want to check for a possible hernia, and maybe even some test for my tail bone
ohwell.gif

Yeah i see what you mean. I had a bad cold but i thought it was worse. I guess my main concern is just being prepared. I want to get some basic exams and test done but paying out of pocket is expensive. I need to get blood work done(sugar levels and things like that), i want to check for a possible hernia, and maybe even some test for my tail bone
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by youneedthese

ohwell.gif

It could get expensive in the short term, but long term you could save yourself some money too. I'de recommend calling up a doctor and asking how much things would be paying cash. I wish I could give you more information, but each company has different rates and different plans according to each state.

ohwell.gif

It could get expensive in the short term, but long term you could save yourself some money too. I'de recommend calling up a doctor and asking how much things would be paying cash. I wish I could give you more information, but each company has different rates and different plans according to each state.

ohwell.gif

Thanks man, good info.

ohwell.gif

Thanks man, good info.

Back
Top Bottom