Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
So this wave isn't really Omicron. Only 23% of new cases are linked to the new strain, so why is everyone getting infected?

New data released on Tuesday shows that while omicron remains the dominant variant, delta — which is the more severe strain — is still a worrisome driving force behind the current surge.

The CDC had previously reported that as of Dec. 18, 73% of new cases were linked to omicron. But on Tuesday, the agency revised those figures, slashing that estimate to 23% — a 50-point drop, suggesting that while the new variant was on the rise, it was not infecting people at the rate the CDC had projected.

Definitely eating my words. The arm pain and muscle aches have been excruciating with this booster.
That does happen a lot. My pilates teacher messaged me asking where she could get her booster so I gave her info for the Sunday night and said "yeah, you'll be fine". Monday at 6pm got a message saying "class cancelled - I'm going to bed!"

At least you know it's doing something...

So this wave isn't really Omicron. Only 23% of new cases are linked to the new strain, so why is everyone getting infected?

New data released on Tuesday shows that while omicron remains the dominant variant, delta — which is the more severe strain — is still a worrisome driving force behind the current surge.

The CDC had previously reported that as of Dec. 18, 73% of new cases were linked to omicron. But on Tuesday, the agency revised those figures, slashing that estimate to 23% — a 50-point drop, suggesting that while the new variant was on the rise, it was not infecting people at the rate the CDC had projected.

That's an interesting point - I think the messaging about Omicron being so contagious has been a bit off - it does seem to be true but another major factor is people mixing at this time of year - we saw exactly the same last year. Even people who have been cautious all year have gone to a few small gatherings and that will hugely increase spread. In that case they may be being infected with the older more serious (if that's true) strains too so it's not like the old strains have disappeared completely - it's not black and white but a hybrid of different strains and different severity of those strains.

That does happen a lot. My pilates teacher messaged me asking where she could get her booster so I gave her info for the Sunday night and said "yeah, you'll be fine". Monday at 6pm got a message saying "class cancelled - I'm going to bed!"

At least you know it's doing something...
I didn’t have any reaction or side effects to the other two. How long do the side effects typically last 👀

Also managed to grab some 3m aura masks. Thank you Blake P Blake P

That's an interesting point - I think the messaging about Omicron being so contagious has been a bit off - it does seem to be true but another major factor is people mixing at this time of year - we saw exactly the same last year. Even people who have been cautious all year have gone to a few small gatherings and that will hugely increase spread. In that case they may be being infected with the older more serious (if that's true) strains too so it's not like the old strains have disappeared completely - it's not black and white but a hybrid of different strains and different severity of those strains.
The messaging has been that vaccine efficacy towards infection and transmission has plummeted due to Omicron. This season the number of positives have been far worse than the past season pre vaccination.

The messaging has been that vaccine efficacy towards infection and transmission has plummeted due to Omicron. This season the number of positives have been far worse than the past season pre vaccination.
There have been significant mutations to the spike protein, and most importantly the receptor binding domain. This makes the virus more effective at evading antibodies that no longer recognize it, while gaining entry into cells much faster, as well as replicating quicker and causing symptomatic infection before your memory B/T cells can take action. Omicron is not as efficient at infecting lung cells, however, so cough and pneumonia are less common and people aren’t getting as sick from low o2 sats and need shorter hospital stays compared to previous variants.

Back
Top Bottom