Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a couple of relatives who were holding out on the vaccine. Wonder what they’re going to do now and I wish I could be there when they heard the news

I have a couple of relatives who were holding out on the vaccine. Wonder what they’re going to do now and I wish I could be there when they heard the news

Apparently my resistant father-in-law is there right now getting a booster - he's been listening to Joe Rogan and going on about natural immunity for a while but seems to have been persuaded finally. I'm not supposed to tell anyone as he wants to surprise the family so shhh.

At my shift in the vaccine clinic this weekend I saw quite a few 20-30s getting their first dose - kind of just resigned to before they need proof to go anywhere so at least that's working.

I come in Peace: Have there been any official studies proving that a booster is necessary after 6-8 months.
Is there hard evidence backing this waning immunity theory and not just the fact that a lot people have contracted Covid after being fully vaccinated.

I come in Peace: Have there been any official studies proving that a booster is necessary after 6-8 months.
Is there hard evidence backing this waning immunity theory and not just the fact that a lot people have contracted Covid after being fully vaccinated.
There's been a strong correlation between Israel's Delta surge and the booster campaign that crushed it. If you're young and healthy and have gotten 2 doses you're probably still well protected against severe disease and death, but the benefits of getting boosted far outweigh the risks, IMO. Based on what I've seen and heard from reputable/trusted sources, you shouldn't be considered fully vaccinated until you've had 3 doses.

First time I've heard this explanation, but it makes sense. Gottlieb states that Pfizer found the downside of a variant specific booster for COVID is that although it likely provides better immune response against the targeted variant, it doesn't seem to give as broad of an immune response against other strains of the virus that are either circulating simultaneously or that will undoubtedly come afterward.

First time I've heard this explanation, but it makes sense. Gottlieb states that Pfizer found the downside of a variant specific booster for COVID is that although it likely provides better immune response against the targeted variant, it doesn't seem to give as broad of an immune response against other strains of the virus that are either circulating simultaneously or that will undoubtedly come afterward.

I think that makes sense - and it’s basically the argument I use against “natural immunity” - yes you’ll have antibodies, but only to a specific strain rather than the broad protection of the vaccine - as long as the virus doesn’t mutate away from the specific characteristic the vaccine is effective against.

It’s also related to the reason why you need a flu shot each year - immunity from prior infection doesn’t help against other strains. Doesn’t mean the vaccine is ineffective it’s just the nature of a virus like that.

I think that makes sense - and it’s basically the argument I use against “natural immunity” - yes you’ll have antibodies, but only to a specific strain rather than the broad protection of the vaccine - as long as the virus doesn’t mutate away from the specific characteristic the vaccine is effective against.

It’s also related to the reason why you need a flu shot each year - immunity from prior infection doesn’t help against other strains. Doesn’t mean the vaccine is ineffective it’s just the nature of a virus like that.

Please entertain my layman's question about so-called "natural immunity" being less effective against variants. If getting infected provides antibodies against S(pike), N(ucleocapsid), and E(nvelope) proteins and vaccine only provides antibodies against S, wouldn't infection induced immunity theoretically be better because it provides a wider array of antibodies in case a variant changes enough? In the case of Omicron, the spike has mutated pretty significantly, but maybe N and E are still recognized? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I never took any science classes after high school.

Last edited:
almost 24 hours after my blue chip boost. arm is more tender than the first shot. some symptoms but way more mild than the second shot. tiredness and general feeling blah. about a 2/10 in terms of severity.

Please entertain my layman's question about so-called "natural immunity" being less effective against variants. If getting infected provides antibodies against S(pike), N(eucleocapsid?), and E(nvelope) (proteins?) and vaccine only provides antibodies against S, wouldn't infection induced immunity theoretically be better because it provides a wider array of antibodies in case a variant changes enough? In the case of Omicron, the spike has mutated pretty significantly, but maybe N and E are still recognized? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I never took any science classes after high school.

This is a pretty good summary:

1638828592261.png

Thanks kdawg kdawg Yeah, I understand all that in theory, but my question was more specifically directed toward the fact that your immune system would potentially be able to target more parts of the virus after an infection since it was exposed to the WHOLE virus rather than just the spike. Trust me, I am avoiding infection at all costs. I guess I'm wondering why successful vaccine manufacturers (except Sinopharm and Sinovac?) seem to have targeted the spike rather than including various other parts of the virus. I'm sure the explanation would likely be more complicated than something I would be able to understand easily anyway. Cheers mate!

Please entertain my layman's question about so-called "natural immunity" being less effective against variants. If getting infected provides antibodies against S(pike), N(eucleocapsid?), and E(nvelope) (proteins?) and vaccine only provides antibodies against S, wouldn't infection induced immunity theoretically be better because it provides a wider array of antibodies in case a variant changes enough? In the case of Omicron, the spike has mutated pretty significantly, but maybe N and E are still recognized? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I never took any science classes after high school.

so you got me thinking and I tried looking up different sources to these questions but I got nowhere and ended up on wikipedia :lol:

fimmu-12-701501-g001.jpg

this is coronavirus (SARS-CoV 2). the 4 proteins are the structural proteins, theres a bunch more that work in the actual virion.

OSC_Microbio_06_02_RepAnVirus.jpg

this is the simplified life/replication cycle of an RNA virus (RNA viruses duplicate in the cytoplasm, DNA in the nucleus. coronavirus is an RNA virus).

so the spike protein S attacks step 1: attachment. widely studied, vaccines work, etc etc.

the envelope protein E provides an outer layer of protection to some viruses. wikipedia says it functions in step 5: assembly. more research needs to be done.

A few studies have investigated the potential of rCoVs with a mutated E or lacking E, specifically focussing on SARS- and MERS-CoV, as live attenuated vaccine candidates with some promising results [34, 36, 165, 249, 250]. Vaccinated animal models developed robust immune responses, both cellular and humoral, and were protected against infective challenges. This shows that CoV vaccines with mutated or deficient in E can potentially be used for prophylactic treatment, but the duration of immunity does not seem to have been established yet.

the nucleocapsid protein N also works in step 5: assembly. apparently for protein interactions also. apparently vaccines that target S and N have been studied are good for extreme disease where the brain is affected, and also for post-infection complications

SARS-CoV-2 infection causes respiratory insufficiency and neurological manifestations, including loss of smell and psychiatric disorders, and can be fatal. Most vaccines are based on the spike antigen alone, and although they have shown efficacy at preventing severe disease and death, they do not always confer sterilizing immunity. Here, we interrogate whether SARS-CoV-2 vaccines could be improved by incorporating nucleocapsid as an antigen. We show that, after 72 h of challenge, a spike-based vaccine confers acute protection in the lung, but not in the brain. However, combining a spike-based vaccine with a nucleocapsid-based vaccine confers acute protection in both the lung and brain. These findings suggest that nucleocapsid-specific immunity can improve the distal control of SARS-CoV-2, warranting the inclusion of nucleocapsid in next-generation COVID-19 vaccines.

1-s2.0-S2211124721011086-fx1.jpg

theres a 4th protein, membrane protein M. membranes are inner layers of protection, and this protein also works in step 5: assembly. not much/anything about it for a vaccine though.

so just based off of my own speculation, the spike protein is the primary target since it attacks so early in the replication/infection cycle while the other proteins operate later down the line. avoids any potential complications or responses to any viral material that isn't marked for cell death.

tl;dr there are 4 coronavirus structural proteins. spike is the most infamous, and the target of most/all of the vaccines. it works at step 1 of the viral replication cycle. the others dont. more research needs to be done.

editors note: an hour+ of not doing actual IRL work FTW :lol:

Last edited:
got my 10 year old his first shot today. Wife, oldest son, and I all received our 2nd dose months ago, and he was going raw dog.

Been looking to get a booster everywhere. Earliest appointment I could find was mid Jan.

Asked the place where my son was getting his shot if they were doing boosters."Yes sir! But only Pfizer."

I'll be damned. Got lucky. Called the wife to come through. She's activated now. Called my boss as well, since he lives near me and was close to the facility. he got hooked up. Brownie points.

Feels good. But mostly because my youngest got his first shot. He's been living in fear and takes his mask wearing very seriously. Even has the mask tan on his face.

Back
Top Bottom