Hip Hop: A Decade In Review (Vol The Official Love/Hate Thread) (UPDATE pg. 1)

Originally Posted by BIG SIPPIN SPENDIN CHEESE

from his birth in the 1950s

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

LOVED
Southern Takeover:
15-ludacris.jpg
scarface_fix.jpg
Speakerboxxx%20The%20Love%20Below.jpg
k03jnk.jpg

Coke Rap:
young-jeezy.jpg
rick-ross-ringtone.jpg
clipse.jpg
raekwon_coke.jpg

NY Hip Hop at it's finest:
God's Son, Untitled, American Gangster, HHID, Black Album, Blueprint 1-2, Diplomatic Immunity, Purple Haze, OB4CL2, Fab's Mixtapes, GRODT, Beg ForMercy

Non-Thug Rappers blowing up:
Kanye, Lupe, Drake, J. Cole, Wale, Kid Cudi

HATED (I hated A LOT)
Jealousy/Hate in NY rappers:
Jim Jones hating on Jiggas existence, Cam tryna defend Dame, 50 stealing Ja's career, Roc-A-Fella breakup, 50 starting beef to sell records, Busta Rhymesbecoming a thug overnight, LL Cool J mad at Jay because he can't make good albums anymore, Jigga retiring then un-retiring because someone else got hot

The Ringtone Rapper era:
Flo-Rida, Ying Yang Twinz, Soulja Boy, Nelly (post country Grammar), current Jim Jones and Juelz Santana
sick.gif
, Webstar, Ron Browz, T-Pain

Good Rappers who make quality music and get NO recognition:
Killer Mike, Rich Boy, 8Ball and MJG, Freeway, The Roots, Method Man and Redman, Young Dro

Poor Musical Work Ethic:
Lupe, Lloyd Banks, Nas, Jay Electronica, Outkast
mad.gif

Good rappers who make sh***y albums:
Fabolous+-+Real+Talk.jpg
51hd7qbveml_aa400_.jpg
JoeBudden-PaddedRoomFrontCover.jpg
common-universal-mind-control-cover-thumb-473x473.jpg
88camron_crime_pays_cove.jpg

Redundant collabos:
DJ Khaled and everybody, Birdman and Lil Wayne, Drake and Lil Wayne, Fab and every R&B artist, Jay-Z and Beyonce

i disagree with a good amount of it... But props on taking time to sit down and think of all of that.. Brings back some good memories of what I was doing atthe time something happened.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Why is this thread not taking off? Did Nay just cover it all with the original post?
laugh.gif

kanye_shrug.png

Illuztrious wrote:

Streets Disciple > everything in this thread.

It's really beginning to piss me off, how hard everybody sleeps on the greatness of that album.

Don't act as if disc 2 wasn't
ohwell.gif

Good read OP. You accidentally said you hated Finding Forever though when you meant to put Universal Mind Control.

You've been on a roll lately with these "Decade" threads Nay, good work champ. You basically covered everything inyour post. There are alot of things I loved about this decade that can't be covered in just one statement, but the one thing that I didn't care for or"hated" was ringtone rappers. I think that's the one thing that almost brought hip hop music down and almost made it bad for future generations. I'll be back later to post more.

hmmmm OP isnt as lame as I once thought. I would add but Im too high to be typing all my thoughts on this small %@% keyboard

Originally Posted by cartune

hmmmm OP isnt as lame as I once thought. I would add but Im too high to be typing all my thoughts on this small %@% keyboard

Coming from a guy who claimed Soulja Boy was MORE hip hop than NaS...
eyes.gif

Solid list and i agree with most of it...Untitled needs some sort of recognition. The album dropped in perfect time. too much BS was going on in music and thegravity of the album made it stand out to me. I'd go as far to put it in the personal classic list.

Supreme Clientele is one of the best albums this decade...

For sophomore albums, i'da added Time Is Money...that album is severely overlooked due to the beef with 50 and the delay.

I'd also put The B.Coming up there as well. Album is stellar.

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

Solid list and i agree with most of it...Untitled needs some sort of recognition. The album dropped in perfect time. too much BS was going on in music and the gravity of the album made it stand out to me. I'd go as far to put it in the personal classic list.
Look again my friend
happy.gif

Originally Posted by HipHopDoc09

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

LOL
SMH at the jab though
Just got back from going through more of the list
Quality wasn't a good album? R U mad? One of the better albums of the decade
Quality > Train Of Thought IMO
Now if u said the Beautiful Struggle I'd probably agree, but u high for that one

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

Originally Posted by HipHopDoc09

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

LOL
SMH at the jab though
Just got back from going through more of the list
Quality wasn't a good album? R U mad? One of the better albums of the decade
Quality > Train Of Thought IMO
Now if u said the Beautiful Struggle I'd probably agree, but u high for that one
Quality was decent @ BEST... I was a HUGE fan of underground hip hop and was really looking foward to him takingthat step as an actual solo artist, and as much as I LOVE Hi Tek's production I figuired Kweli working with others wouldnt be too bad ofan idea... But it didn't come out sounding AS good

No way its better than Train Of Thought... IMO Quality isn't THAT much better than Beautiful Struggle whch is also AVERAGE

U forgot Tha Carter III.... if u cant recognize the importance and dopeness of the CD, then nothing more needs to be said

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

We don't even talk about Carter 3 like Bleprint or Stillmatic... & C3 dropped LAST year....

Carter III is a classic in my book.. joint did a mil in one week, that alone speaks for itself about the impact it had on society.. I thought OP's list waswell thought out and I agreed with almost all of his selections, so I'm just gonna leave it at that

Back
Top Bottom