Holding a phone while driving should be banned in EVERY state.

I used to text and drive far too regularly, but stopped after a close call a few years ago when I almost rear ended someone at a red light. Nowadays if a text is urgent, I pull over or make a hands free call

Look, I was guilty of it...so it's kind of a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I would mostly use my phone while at a light waiting for it to change. I decided for Lent to give up touching my phone in the car, unless the car was in park. Due to giving it up, I became hyper-aware of my surroundings and just noticed how many people don't pay attention when driving due to using their phones. I see it every day, and I'm sure you all do to. A family I know just had their car totaled due to someone behind them in another vehicle (who was texting) ramming into them at a high-rate of speed. Luckily, they were alright, but there are countless other stories out there of folks who didn't have the same fortunes. Anyways...if you're doing this, I think it would be good to consider trying to curb your usage. Not only for your safety, but others. I think this is more of a problem out there than dealing with folks who are hammered/high behind the wheel. Just my .02

I need to get better at this so I appreciate the encouragement. I am a very defensive driver who drives the speed limit etc. and I agree with what you said about it making you more aware of your surroundings.

Driving defensively is like being in a night club sober :lol:.

The things you notice :smh:

I agree. There are laws in my city for distracted driving. You'd be surprised at the kinds of things people do on the road. It's ridiculous. Penalties include 3 demerit points (15 and you lose your license) and a $287 fine on top. I got one last year for changing the music track on the phone...at a damb red light.

What defines 'distracted driving'?

using hand-held cell phones
texting or e-mailing (even when stopped at red lights)
using electronic devices like laptop computers, video games, cameras, video entertainment displays and programming portable audio players (e.g., MP3 players)
entering information on GPS units
reading printed materials in the vehicle
writing, printing or sketching
personal grooming (brushing and flossing teeth, putting on makeup, curling hair, clipping nails or shaving)

Last edited:
Brushing hair. Goodness. I'm all about not being distracted while driving but some of those are od. Changing a song or entering an address at a red light would be something horrible to ticketed for.

Not that he's wrong, but OP sound like one them **** that finally go to church now you wanna judge other ****. Temper your pace man talking about suspensions and jail time. And I think distracted driving is enforced in the DMV area.

Last edited:
Not that he's wrong, but OP sound like one them goes that finally go to church now you wanna judge other ****. Temper your pace man talking about suspensions and jail time. And I think distracted driving is enforced in the DMV area.

:lol:

naw its not the dmv..its just strictly virginia lol...idk what it is but virginia folks are weird

Not that he's wrong, but OP sound like one them **** that finally go to church now you wanna judge other ****. Temper your pace man talking about suspensions and jail time. And I think distracted driving is enforced in the DMV area.

I stand by what I said...after a couple of offenses, I think it should be a suspended or loss of license.

Anyways...just got a call from my dad this morning. He was hit by a drunk driver. Luckily he was OK, but the dude who hit him ended up in a ditch. Fool drunk at 11am SMH

hall monitor status :lol:

Son had a recent revelation now folks need to lose their livelihoods over something he was proudly doing a week ago. That's doing the most. I'm definitely not downplaying the dangers of distracted driving though.

hall monitor status :lol:

A hall monitor who has never used the report button. Can you say the same?

Son had a recent revelation now folks need to lose their livelihoods over something he was proudly doing a week ago. That's doing the most. I'm definitely not downplaying the dangers of distracted driving though.

Proudly? Nope. Realized I needed to make a change.

Not downplaying the dangers of distracted driving, but in here for yuks. Shut up.

when you're taught to drive to get a license, everyone is supposed to be a crappy driver except you & you're supposed to factor that into everything you do. what other people do i can careless about, as long as i know im in da clear, that's how ur supposed to drive.

No one's here for jokes. You wan't to go from 0 to advocate just like that mere moments after you're in the clear and pretend it's not hypocritical. No compassion, no training, rewiring, rehab, nothing, just straight to the extreme punishment. Sounds familiar.

No one's here for jokes. You wan't to go from 0 to advocate just like that mere moments after you're in the clear and pretend it's not hypocritical. No compassion, no training, rewiring, rehab, nothing, just straight to the extreme punishment. Sounds familiar.

No compassion? You must have missed the part when I said after something like the SECOND offense there should be a suspension/loss of license. Meaning, you get chances, bud. You're seeing what you want to see....how is that hypocritical?

First offense should be monetary, second should be more serious.

People have lost their lives bc of this and cats still caping because they know "the key" to it.

I've always taken it seriously, but after seeing what my coworker went through, it just makes it even more apparent.

People don't believe **** stinks until it's in their face.

No compassion? You must have missed the part when I said after something like the SECOND offense there should be a suspension/loss of license. Meaning, you get chances, chance bud. You're seeing what you want to see....how is that hypocritical?

Maybe they should have implemented this months ago.

People have lost their lives bc of this and cats still caping because they know "the key" to it.

I've always taken it seriously, but after seeing what my coworker went through, it just makes it even more apparent.

Why yes, your comprehension is on point. I'm absolutely caping for distracting driving and the potential loss of life. (*if directed at me)

Last edited:

No compassion? You must have missed the part when I said after something like the SECOND offense there should be a suspension/loss of license. Meaning, you get chances, chance bud. You're seeing what you want to see....how is that hypocritical?

Maybe they should have implemented this months ago.

Why yes, your comprehension is on point. I'm absolutely caping for distracting driving and the potential loss of life.

You're calling my stance hypocritical when I admitted such in my first post (pot calling kettle black.) Emails/texts can now wait. Giving up using my phone in the car was a major adjustment. The only reason why I'm more aware of things now is because I'm not fiddling with my phone. Because of me noticing my surroundings, you take into account just how many people are glued to their smartphones while the car is in drive. To me, this is a bigger issue than impaired driving. It's not just your life that could be at risk, but others who are on the road. This is why I believe in stiffer penalties for distracted driving due to having your hands/eyes on your phone while the car is moving. Two offenses and that should be it...if by the 3rd time you still don't get it, take away driving privileges all together.

I prefer a point system another poster mentioned, 3 points each offense (all adding up to your overall max of 15 before your license is suspended), maybe double on the third with a fine on each and maybe a mandatory "dangers of distracted driving" all day course thrown in. I'm just not a fan of hasty, draconian laws. These are real people and life isn't that black and white. Furthermore you can't rely on the system to uphold it in a just manner and keep the line fair. How long till someone looking at navigation gets mixed into that? Points atleast allow a buffer of human error on both sides of the law.

Last edited:
So how do y'all feel about police officers using their laptops while driving?

I prefer a point system another poster mentioned, 3 points each offense (all adding up to your overall max of 15 before your license is suspended), maybe double on the third with a fine on each and maybe a mandatory "dangers of distracted driving" all day course thrown in. I'm just not a fan of hasty, draconian laws. These are real people and life isn't that black and white. Furthermore you can't rely on the system to uphold it in a just manner and keep the line fair. How long till someone looking at navigation gets mixed into that? Points atleast allow a buffer of human error on both sides of the law.

How does the point system work for DUIs? How many offenses until your lose your license or it's suspended?

Navigation is tricky...but my console locks when the car is in motion.

So how do y'all feel about police officers using their laptops while driving?

Never seen an officer typing on the laptop while driving...usually they're handling their business on the side of the road.

Last edited:

That might have referred to my post. In the city where I live (in Canada), the way it works with ANY law broken on the road will equal demerit points and a fine depending on severity. In this case, distracted driving is 3 points + $250. Other driving infractions can range from 1-6 demerit points and range from $200-600 to finally a court summon. 15 accumulated points for any ticket (speeding, distracted driving, driving too close etc) equals a revoked license for 1 month up to a year again depending on severity of the piled up infractions. Not sure why more cities in the States don't do this.

How does the point system work for DUIs? How many offenses until your lose your license or it's suspended?

The way it works for Canada, DUIs are actual criminal charges which results in jail time and depending on the judge, they can take the license away on top of that.

Never seen an officer typing on the laptop while driving...usually they're handling their business on the side of the road.

How do you think they run your plates?

I don't pay much attention to it, but if they're typing while the car is in drive, then they can be every bit as distracted as someone using a smartphone.

I don't pay much attention to it, but if they're typing while the car is in drive, then they can be every bit as distracted as someone using a smartphone.
I've seen cops do both, in separate instances. Also seen a video where an 18 wheeler flagged down a cop who was supposedly swerving because he was on his laptop and his response to why he could do it was because of his "training".

I agree overall that using your phone or really any device is something that should hold a significant penalty, how extreme idk

one of the most useful things I've ever bought, had it for almost a year now

fits in your cup holder and has a twisting adjustment to fit any cup holder so it sits in prime position

View media item 2418402

also my ride home from work is 40 minutes extra about once a week cause there's a major accident from either texting or entitlement

Back
Top Bottom