HOLIDAY 2021 - Cool Grey 11

The reality is that Nike/JB are marketing geniuses that any student of Marketing needs to study....Pure freak'n geniuses! I expect that someday they'll protro these retros making them look identical with better tech/comfort, and I will be happy to purchase all of the OG retros again for the comfort alone. It seems like only a matter of time, though, honestly, I'm surprised they haven't hit on that opportunity yet. Their retro business is a pure cash cow.

Agreed- I'm sure they have a plan for that.

Right now: nonsense colorways and colorways that are almost "OG," and golf shoes of the retros we want
Near future: more Nike Air models
Distant future: closer OG mold/protro type thing you mentioned

They have to milk this out as long as they can

Yea they were never really a nice company. PayPal played games too. I’m just glad I grew up thinking around 10% was the normal fee so this is just more of the same now

And maybe I’m a troglodyte but basketball sneakers now are flimsy as ****. Unless all the stores near me have supply shortages. They all were some form of socks with soles. Zero support. Like Nike has a contract with a national network of orthopedic surgeons or some ****. I went to Nike town or whatever they call it now and that **** was 100% for casual use. 4 floors of athleisure. Ended up getting some hiking/winterized hybrid straight to dvd pumas bc they have a basketball sole with strong sides. Reminded me of air raids. 🤷‍♂️
You said “straight to dvd pumas”… LMAO

The reality is that Nike/JB are marketing geniuses that any student of Marketing needs to study....Pure freak'n geniuses! I expect that someday they'll protro these retros making them look identical with better tech/comfort, and I will be happy to purchase all of the OG retros again for the comfort alone. It seems like only a matter of time, though, honestly, I'm surprised they haven't hit on that opportunity yet. Their retro business is a pure cash cow.
I think nike is just smart enough to realize most people are stupid. A person with any sort of intelligence wont buy something they dont want simply because they cant get what they do want. I was looking at sales of the fools grey meme Jordan's and cant believe how many pairs of those sold on the secondary market :lol:

I think nike is just smart enough to realize most people are stupid. A person with any sort of intelligence wont buy something they dont want simply because they cant get what they do want. I was looking at sales of the fools grey meme Jordan's and cant believe how many pairs of those sold on the secondary market :lol:

The Fila joints? No way :lol: I see it as a gag gift, so I guess that makes sense

Word what’s up with stockx sending me emails on release day with the cool greys being sold on their stupid platform. I’m stupid but cmon

The tricky part about the “retail or pass” debate is for a lot of these hyped shoes, we all know their value just goes up and up. For majority of us, we might only wear em a handful of times over a 2-3 year period and can flip em for the same price we paid resale for, if not more. OR maybe they never even make it to the concrete. Either scenario it kinda leads us to just paying that resale ticket- especially if it’s a nostalgic kick or just something u want hella bad. U can justify it, as long as it’s a high demand shoe.
The other scenario is if you beat em to the ground then hell, you enjoyed them MFs and got your moneys worth for sure.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, it’s up to the person to determine if paying $500 - or 120% more than the retail cost - for a non durable good makes sense.

But something you mentioned I want to address. Keep in mind 206 that paying $500 for the shoe and then selling them for $500 three years later doesn’t even out. You’re not “making your money back.” There is opportunity cost (the value of what you could have otherwise done with that money during that same time window) to think about. Also, there is inflation to consider ($500 today won’t have the same spending authority in 2025).

On the opportunity cost side, think of it this way … Apple stock was $37 a share (pre-split adjusted) three years ago. It’s at $179 today. If you had put $500 into Apple in December, 2018, you’d have 13 shares that would now be worth $2350.

Your $500 would have made you an extra $1850 (a return of almost 400%).

The opportunity cost then of buying the shoes (that you later sold for what you paid) is $1850.00 ($2350 - $500). What you could have made ($2350) subtracted by what you did make ($500).

This isn’t a financial board. And I’m not trying to discourage anyone from buying shoes (I’m a shoe collector and enthusiast). I just want people to think about their tomorrow.

Paying $500 for shoes that cost $225, especially on credit, is negatively impacting your tomorrow. I’m from the inner city and I see it. Young people and people of color just don’t invest enough. Companies prey on that lack of financial sophistication to keep people mentally poor. Nike and social media has convinced folks that worth and value is linked to consumable goods and materiality and it’s not.

Nike won’t lend a hand to support when people are struggling to pay their bills in 10 years.

So please just think. Hopefully everyone gets the shoes at retail.

Be safe and blessed out there everyone.

Last edited:
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, it’s up to the person to determine if paying $500 - or 120% more than the retail cost - for a non durable good makes sense.

But something you mentioned I want to address. Keep in mind 206 that paying $500 for the shoe and then selling them for $500 three years later doesn’t even out. You’re not “making your money back.” There is opportunity cost (the value of what you could have otherwise done with that money during that same time window) to think about. Also, there is inflation to consider ($500 today won’t have the same spending authority in 2025).

On the opportunity cost side, think of it this way … Apple stock was $37 a share (pre-split adjusted) three years ago. It’s at $179 today. If you had put $500 into Apple in December, 2018, you’d have 13 shares that would now be worth $2350.

The opportunity cost then of buying the shoes (that you later sold for what you paid) is $1850.00 ($2350 - $500). What you could have made ($2350) subtracted by what you did make ($500).

This isn’t a financial board. And I’m not trying to discourage anyone from buying shoes (I’m a shoe collector and enthusiast). I just want people to think about their tomorrow.

Paying $500 for shoes that cost $225, especially on credit, is negatively impacting your tomorrow. I’m from the inner city and I see it. Young people and people of color just don’t invest enough. Companies prey on that lack of financial sophistication to keep people mentally poor. Nike and social media has convinced folks that worth and value is linked to consumable goods and materiality and it’s not.

Nike won’t lend a hand to support when people are struggling to pay their bills in 10 years.

Exactly! When I buy shoes it's b/c I enjoy them. I know they're rot away or get warn out. And this past year every dollar I put into crypto multiplied by 10x (or more), so even reselling a collab is pointless to me; that money better serves me in crypto. I'm here as an enthusiast and already spend more than a logical amount on shoes, but never think of them as an investment. I suppose if you're selling hundreds of shoes you got from a plug or bot, it can be a business, but the onesey twoseys here and there aren't making squat in the long run even if you get them at retail.

Anyway, we digress...back to the shoes. I couldn't hit on these, which I find mildly irritating, but not considering resell; I put multiples of that into crypto post launch of these without a thought. Now if I need to pay resell for Military 4s, I'll probably go as high as $300 shipped on resell b/c I really want those (to wear...not as an investment).

I know this isn’t a financial board and some will get annoyed with what you’re saying but I myself smile every time I see you post. Too some of our fellow niketalk brothers and sisters this is common knowledge but to some it’s never been taught. I wish you would keep this up and enlighten whenever you have the opportunity. Happy holidays and green candles to you my friend.

Why do y'all come to a sneakerhead forum to sway people against buying shoes?
PGT3TVI.png

i only wish i listened to the dude preaching to buy bitcoin at $100
I think we all had a guy telling us to buy it at that price. No regrets though, we had no idea what a Bitcoin was at the time and most of us thought the crypto stuff was some type of pyramid scheme at the time.

I know this isn’t a financial board and some will get annoyed with what you’re saying but I myself smile every time I see you post. Too some of our fellow niketalk brothers and sisters this is common knowledge but to some it’s never been taught. I wish you would keep this up and enlighten whenever you have the opportunity. Happy holidays and green candles to you my friend.
I appreciate these words more than you know. Thank you.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you!

Why do y'all come to a sneakerhead forum to sway people against buying shoes?
PGT3TVI.png
Certainly not doing trying to sway you from buying shoes, friend. It’s a little more nuanced than that.

Have a happy new year and stay safe out there!

Makes no sense, there seems to be these type of people no matter where u go.

I’ve never said it’s a bad idea to buy shoes or tried to discourage that. Just hoping folks are buying responsibly and balancing consumption with wealth creation avenues. Unfortunately many don’t.

Mentioning finances is outside of the echo chamber here, but I think there is a place for the conversation. Hopefully someone takes something meaningful from it. If so, then it’s worth it.

Take care of yourself and thank you.

I’ve never said it’s a bad idea to buy shoes or tried to discourage that. Just hoping folks are buying responsibly and balancing consumption with wealth creation avenues. Unfortunately many don’t.

Mentioning finances is outside of the echo chamber here, but I think there is a place for the conversation. Hopefully someone takes something meaningful from it. If so, then it’s worth it.

Take care of yourself and thank you.
The shoe discussion here is hardly an echo chamber. There's tons of different opinions on buying sneakers here. You have people here arguing different opinions every day in lots of threads.

Back
Top Bottom